HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Yes it can record and output to your goggles at the same time but you will not be able to show it on the DVR screen at the same time. Also, you will not be able to use the remote (wired) record button because it plugs into the AV out connection.

I use a powered splitter so I don't have to rely on the video out on the dvr. What does suck about it is the fact that in order to review your video in the field with your GCS and a larger monitor, you will have to plug and unplug stuff to view it. I will probably use the video out to my monitor and not use the built in screen and just use the wireless remote.

Actually, I wonder if I could use a splitter on the video out so that one goes to the monitor and the other to the wired remote.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:43 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
wait, thats kinda stupid. i thought the whole point was to have a small second viewing screen while you are fpving with goggles and recording at the same time. is this a firmware issue? can it be updated to display/record/ and output to goggles at the same time?
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
wait, thats kinda stupid. i thought the whole point was to have a small second viewing screen while you are fpving with goggles and recording at the same time. is this a firmware issue? can it be updated to display/record/ and output to goggles at the same time?
Yes, it would be nice as a backup display...but doesn't work that way. There's pro's and con's on most the controllers. Some are portable, some aren't. Some have feed through, some don't. Some FF and RWD, some don't. Some have displays, some don't. Some are $$$$, some are $$. I'd like to see the FPV-Japan unit with display on along with feedthrough. I'm fine as is though as I've got a larger (7") LCD for a backup display that I run off my video splitter, not through the recorder.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
i have the jxd990 and a fpv-japan recorder.

while the jxd990 is cheap (85$ shipped) and has many functions and a big screen, it doesn't do anything right... the recorded video has many glitches on bright parts if the image, and the screen displays the same, so you can't even use it for watching av-in... it doesnt remember the video settings either. i can't recommend it at all. not even considering the price.

the fpv-japan has a smaller screen and is more expensive, but it works well and does good quality recordings. i'd recommended it if you can afford it. even if you can't afford it, dont get the jxd990!
quix-fz is offline Find More Posts by quix-fz
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
That's falling with style!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Apr 2008
395 Posts
Does the fpv-japan display any on screen status like the running time, battery level and REC of the DVR?? And if so, can it be turned off?
RowdyRod is online now Find More Posts by RowdyRod
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRod View Post
Does the fpv-japan display any on screen status like the running time, battery level and REC of the DVR?? And if so, can it be turned off?
It does show battery status, if it's recording, (don't recall if it shows run time), but these are only displayed...not recorded along with the video. What it records is exactly what your VTx is sending...nothing more, nothing less.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:37 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRod View Post
Yes. Check out the manual for the Black Box DVR (posted a few pages back). It shows all that stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quix-fz View Post
even if you can't afford it, dont get the jxd990!
+1 to that. I just bought the BevRC recorder to replace my JXD990 and I won't even sell my JXD990 for cheap because no matter how cheap the buyer would still regret it.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:47 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
I have long said that there would be a huge market for an FPV specific recorder that has all the features wanted for FPV. There are several that get close but none of them get close enough.

Maybe one day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:45 AM
That's falling with style!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Apr 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
It does show battery status, if it's recording, (don't recall if it shows run time), but these are only displayed...not recorded along with the video. What it records is exactly what your VTx is sending...nothing more, nothing less.
SO it's similar to the DVR that I have. Mine shows the status of the DVR on screen which covers some of the OSD data that I have from my aircarft, a bit of a pain, I was hoping my unit could be used to eliminate the black screen of death on my cheap goggles.... which it does except I now have unwanted DVR info.

Oh well... I will still keep the DVR (KS-660M) as it records nicely and is smaller and lighter than my MiniDV Video Camera.

It does record past 30 minutes too. You can set it to save video files after 5, 15 or 30 minutes. I dose not stop recording, it just saves the file and creates a new one without any break in recording, it's a nice feature as it makes editing much easier when using smaller files.
RowdyRod is online now Find More Posts by RowdyRod
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:44 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,594 Posts
see posts 2096
and 2109

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQ5q-FQndc
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
well my opinion of the JapanDVR is going down. I used it to record for the first time today and afterwards the lcd stopped working. It will display an image only if I hold down the pause/play button on the dvr. Its like the backlight won't come on unless I hold that button down. I have emailed FPV-Japan to see what they have to say. I have reset everything to default, removed the battery etc. Maybe reflashing the firmware will fix it... Hopefully they will send it to me. If I have to send this back I will be pissed... I am not in a location that is convenient to shipping things.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
All is well. Ren helped me figure out the issue and it is working now.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined May 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
What was it?
aSa2 is offline Find More Posts by aSa2
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Really...that's what these threads are all about...sharing of information. Tell us what fixed your problem in case someone else runs into it!!!!
RCG Plus Member