HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
Norway
Joined Feb 2012
85 Posts
Today I received the Foxtech D1 recorder. http://www.foxtechfpv.com/mini-d1-qu...der-p-451.html
I hooked it up to my groundstation suitcase, containing 15" lcd, Fatshark Dominator and Eagletree diversity controller.
The D1 board is VERY small (60x45mm). It is fragile, and should be wrapped in heatshrink (NO packing tape as it gets warm!). The connection plugs sits very tight, and will not come loose in any situasion. The menusystem is very easy to set up with the remote. There is no buttons on the board, so you have to use the remote.
The first few tests went bad. The unit reset it self after just 30-45 seconds (only when recording). I thought it had a defect. Then I realized that around my GS suitcase I had a computer running, baby call on, dragonlink tx on, my charger setup running, fpv-cam on and the video tx on my plane on. It was all situated about 1-2m from the recorder. When I shut down everything except video tx, fpv-cam and dragonlink, the unit worked perfect! It records everything, included static/no signal.
The unit work as it should. Playback is only a few clicks on the remote away. You can also delete files on your SD card.
The weather here is pretty bad these days, so I maybe have to wait until weekend to record a flight with my Ritewing Zephyr 2. When I go for my next flight, I will upload the video and post it here.
RemiWM is offline Find More Posts by RemiWM
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Hi RemiWM,
Are you using PAL video? Does the foxtech SD card recorder crop the video edges?
I am wondering due to horizontal resolution being only 705 instead of the normal PAL 756?
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
Norway
Joined Feb 2012
85 Posts
Yes, I'm using PAL.
I had to use the VGA recording settings to make the video fit in my screen. When playing the playback, it did not crop the edges.
I tried the D1 recording settings, but then the picture on playback mode didn't show all the info.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiWM View Post
Yes, I'm using PAL.
I had to use the VGA recording settings to make the video fit in my screen. When playing the playback, it did not crop the edges.
I tried the D1 recording settings, but then the picture on playback mode didn't show all the info.
Is VGA NTSC? Does that mean it is shrinking the video to NTSC resolution?
Would you say the recorded video is pretty much as good as the original video?
Cheers for helping me out
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
Norway
Joined Feb 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Is VGA NTSC? Does that mean it is shrinking the video to NTSC resolution?
Would you say the recorded video is pretty much as good as the original video?
Cheers for helping me out
VGA is 640x576. I don't know if that is NTSC. It's PAL that is the normal standard in Europe. I had to choose VGA recording so I can see all info on the screen when playback. The recorded video is almost as good as the original transmittet video. I would say that the quality is the same as you see on almost every fpv onboard recordings on youtube.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiWM View Post
VGA is 640x576. I don't know if that is NTSC. It's PAL that is the normal standard in Europe. I had to choose VGA recording so I can see all info on the screen when playback. The recorded video is almost as good as the original transmittet video. I would say that the quality is the same as you see on almost every fpv onboard recordings on youtube.
Ill have to google video resolutions and formats
PAL I know is 720x576, NTSC is 720x480, so I dunno if the VGA recording would be stretching (well, shrinking) the video horizontally a little to record PAL?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2009
88 Posts
This video demonstrates how DVR-SD4 works in bad video signal conditions, short answer: no any issues!
Japan DVR-SD4 static test (2 min 10 sec)

PS I don't remember did I post this video earlier on nor, sorry if duplicate.
AlcoNaft43 is offline Find More Posts by AlcoNaft43
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:35 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
what resolution is the LCD screen on the FPV japan recorder? if i were to buy the BEVRC version would i be able to flash over the FPV japan firmware?
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:20 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am in dilemma. Can someome help me. I still can not make decision on between Japan-FPV DVR and 5.8ghz mini DVR.
Please advice me.
Thanks
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined May 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
what resolution is the LCD screen on the FPV japan recorder? if i were to buy the BEVRC version would i be able to flash over the FPV japan firmware?
it is bigger or equal 640x480, eaglr tree OSD data reading very well...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined May 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am in dilemma. Can someome help me. I still can not make decision on between Japan-FPV DVR and 5.8ghz mini DVR.
Please advice me.
Thanks
Japan-FPV DVR , you won't be linked to 5.8 freq and intergrated RX in DVR
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
No one has the specs on the fpv Japan DVR's screen?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
No one has the specs on the fpv Japan DVR's screen?
Nope...it's not listed on the FPV-Japan site. You could send Ren an e-mail to see what he says. I will say the display is very crisp though...not blocky at all...at least not to my eyes.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:59 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
Well I received my JapanDVR and like it so far. I haven't been able to FPV or record with it yet (and won't for a long time) but here are a couple observations of mine in regards to comparing it to the PV500ECO.

The JDVRs remote works from almost any angle. The 500ECOs remote has to be pointed directly at it, which is on the side. This made it a pain to use as I have it countersunk into my GCS.

The remote record button for the JDVR is a simple push button which could be changed to any other type of button to mount in a GCS. The ECO remote record button is a proprietary slide button. But, the JDVR remote button plugs into the AV out so you cant use the remote button and an external monitor at the same time.

The JDVR can't (as far as I can find out) display video on the built in screen and an external monitor at the same time. The ECO can.

The ECO records in .asf format. This can be finicky during playback. The .asf format was designed for streaming video. I think this is why searching through an asf video locks up the media player some times. The JDVR records in .avi format which is much easier to work with.

Oh, and the "Black Box FPV Flight Recorder" is the same. I downloaded the manual for it and it shows all the same buttons etc.

At work we use the Lawmate PV1000 and I am going to try to record some with the JDVR and compare it directly to the PV1000 but I imagine the quality will be the same on the PV1000 as my ECO500.

I am thinking of putting either the JDVR or ECO in my FPV planes (Skywalker and X8) to get some really clear video with the OSD. whichever I don't use in the plane will be in my GCS.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Well I received my JapanDVR and like it so far. I haven't been able to FPV or record with it yet (and won't for a long time) but here are a couple observations of mine in regards to comparing it to the PV500ECO.

The JDVRs remote works from almost any angle. The 500ECOs remote has to be pointed directly at it, which is on the side. This made it a pain to use as I have it countersunk into my GCS.

The remote record button for the JDVR is a simple push button which could be changed to any other type of button to mount in a GCS. The ECO remote record button is a proprietary slide button. But, the JDVR remote button plugs into the AV out so you cant use the remote button and an external monitor at the same time.

The JDVR can't (as far as I can find out) display video on the built in screen and an external monitor at the same time. The ECO can.

The ECO records in .asf format. This can be finicky during playback. The .asf format was designed for streaming video. I think this is why searching through an asf video locks up the media player some times. The JDVR records in .avi format which is much easier to work with.

Oh, and the "Black Box FPV Flight Recorder" is the same. I downloaded the manual for it and it shows all the same buttons etc.

At work we use the Lawmate PV1000 and I am going to try to record some with the JDVR and compare it directly to the PV1000 but I imagine the quality will be the same on the PV1000 as my ECO500.

I am thinking of putting either the JDVR or ECO in my FPV planes (Skywalker and X8) to get some really clear video with the OSD. whichever I don't use in the plane will be in my GCS.
Does this mean that the JDVR cannot take a single video input from the VRx, record and display realtime, as well as output to a pair of goggles? Would i need to split the video prior to the JDVR so that i can record with the JDVR and see the footage in my goggles?