Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:33 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ject42 View Post
Has anyone checked this one out? Looks like an Aiptek MPVR knockoff:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coby-CAM4002/15846627
No evidence that it has an A/V input jack. In other words, it's not a PVR (like the MPVR series).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:42 AM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
No evidence that it has an A/V input jack. In other words, it's not a PVR (like the MPVR series).

ian
It does say
Quote:
Additional Features:

Interfaces: USB 2.0, 3.5mm composite video
Of course that could mean output..
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,488 Posts
I'm about 99% sure that's output only.
One of the inevitable progressions of cheap consumer electronic products is that
they actually contain less and less "frills" as they mature. Features that people don't
use very often, get removed from future versions and imitations of the product.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:43 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,
do you mean the codec of the FPV Japan recorder?
i use also this recorder, so i´m very interested about your issues and workaround.

cheers Thomas
I had to use Virtualdub to convert the audio to mp3 before I could load files into Sony Vegas HD Platinum. However, once I upgraded to Vegas 11 PRO those problems went away. Hope this helps.
traderdmb is offline Find More Posts by traderdmb
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:19 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
Fried my Piano Recorder today. i knew I should have bought 2. So what is the best quality recorder available now? I prefer a hard drive based recorder.

Thanks
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:58 PM
Austria, Tir., Schwaz
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
I have bought a SanDisk V-Mate and tried for the first time today.

Cabling is easy. Configuration also. So i use the remote to start recording and it works instantly. Picture quality is ok. Not perfect, not bad, but good enough for my first recorder. And very good for the price.
I switched off the tx to test static. Picture goes black, but after 2 minutes of static it still records. I hope this is longer than the static i will ever get in air =P Switching on tx again and recording is fine.

+ price (i paid just about 35 euro)
+ case and design. lightweight and small.
+ it records to sd-card. format: mp4 video 640x480. you can choose pal or ntsc.
+ doesnt stop recording when picture is static
+ with the new firmware you get video-output now in highest resolution (640x480) also.
+ power supply and cinch (rca) cables included.
o picture quality is ok. it's good enough to start with.
o there came "one button recording" with the new firmware. but you need the remote control. i'd prefer if there was a button, so you would not have to worry about'cher'motecontrolbatterey.
o its 5v so u need a bec (you can build a simple bec for <5 euro).
o there is appr. 0,2 sec of lag on video output. for fast flights i would connect via video-splitter or directly.

after all: i like it

wishlist: 12v, one touch record button on the cabinet, better video quality (but again, its not bad)
isilive is offline Find More Posts by isilive
Last edited by isilive; Sep 22, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:12 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
When SanDisk V-Mate is recording you see the dates on the screen ? Is it possible to hide the dates during recording and also in viewing ?
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
Anyone know the cheapest place to get a lawmate pv-1000?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
When SanDisk V-Mate is recording you see the dates on the screen ? Is it possible to hide the dates during recording and also in viewing ?
I had a V-Mate but it's some time since I've used it. I found some old V-Mate recordings and there was no date stamp on my videos so it is possible to remove it.
Have a look at the manual

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/p...0UG_Eng_T1.pdf

I do remember it was a bit clumsy to use and the version I had didn't out put video during recording but, it worked, no blue screening.
Good luck
jon davies is online now Find More Posts by jon davies
Last edited by jon davies; Feb 09, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon davies View Post
I had a V-Mate but it's some time since I've used it. I found some old V-Mate recordings and there was no date stamp on my videos so it is possible to remove it.
Have a look at the manual
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/p...0UG_Eng_T1.pdf
I do remember it was a bit clumsy to use and the version I had didn't out put video during recording but, it worked, no blue screening.
Good luck
Hi Jon. Your link does not allow to download instruction but I found them in SanDisk site and nothing is said about date stamp on the video. So if you tell that there isn't any date stamp on the video I'm very happy. Thanks..
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:46 AM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
448 Posts
Sorry Imeiv.
Can't get the link to work but if you've found the manual I won't investigate further.
Hope you're happy with the V-Mate.
Jon
jon davies is online now Find More Posts by jon davies
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
I can not believe the lack of suitable devices for this application. What really gets me is that there used to be several (like the Piano recorder I had) that are not made anymore! The Japan recorder seems nice but there is an issue with availability. I did find this one, http://www.supercircuits.com/Digital...el-DVRs/MDVR80 although expensive, seems to be very nice. This one is without an internal hard drive but you can add one (voids warranty however). or you can spend another $230 for them to install an "AV grade mobile 250 gig hard drive" (that costs $80 on the retail market). I do like the 1 button record and the fact that it can record 720 x 480 @30fps. The model number interestingly enough is the same as the now unavailable MDVR80 listed at the beginning of this thread.

I really can't believe that one of the companies making all these custom FPV products haven't come out with a specific recorder with the specs we want!

Anyway, I will probably get the lawmate pv-1000 unless the japan DVR gets back in stock this century.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,488 Posts
No telling if the MDVR80 can record through static. And once you add the harddrive (at
their price) you're at the price of the much more capable PV-1000 (there's a listing on
Google Shopping that claims $468, but have to call that vendor to verify price).

I don't recall that the Piano recorder was all that, either. Some people had problems with
it stopping recording randomly and not always recording through static.
There are other HDD based recorders out there but many of them crop the image quite a bit.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
I loved my piano recorder. Never had an issue with it stopping recording and the quality was great. I don't ever remember it dropping out from static either.

Oh, and I went to the website that shows the PV-1000 for that price...

1. They don't list the price on the web page. You have to enter your email address for a "discount code that is good for only one day"
2. When you enter the "code" which is the same code no matter what email or day you request it, you get a price that is $20 more than the price listed on google that takes you to their site.
3. When I inquired about the fact they have no price listed, and that the price with the "discount code" more than the advertised price, he said "yeah, we had a price increase yesterday"
4. When I explained that all these circumstances sounded too shady and asked for an explanation, he resorted to ghetto talk " You are busting my chops over 20 bucks homie?".

So I figured I would spend the extra $100 and get it somewhere reputable.
RCG Plus Member