Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzguy View Post
you can also fin the $2 splitter on ebay and get it shipped cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-output-RCA...item33655e5476
search something like:
"5 output RCA Video signal splitter amplifier"

I have one to, but have not gotten it all hooked up yet.
Just went with this (great find)...and at under $10 shipped - can't go wrong.

Seems small and really, it has enough 'ports'.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:35 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
This is the video splitter I've been using: http://www.bevrc.com/video-splitter1...uts-p-139.html

It's given me no problems so far. I'm not entirely sure how necessary a powered video splitter is when you're only splitting it out to two outputs, but better safe than sorry I guess.
splitting once (into 2 outputs) is not THAT big a deal, and you could just use a splitter. But when you start putting more things on there, you start to loose signal quality. (goggles, recorder, external monitor/guest goggles, back up recorder, feeding another vid tx to relay video... or just multiple people watching )
yzguy is online now Find More Posts by yzguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wing wing z-84 fpv setup
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
Do this amplified splitters help with blue/blackscreen issues of lcds?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:05 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
No it does nothing about black screen, as all it does is amplify the signal. From what I've heard, you need something that generates it's own sync signal, which as far as I can tell means it needs to actually be sending its own video signal. If I pass the video through my JetView DVR, that prevents black screening, because it has its own (really annoying) on-screen text.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:14 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,214 Posts
I did some mods to my Vupoint recorder, i had a old speed control laying around collecting dust, so i used it to give 5 volt.

Here is the pictures :

Speed control used.

There is 2 pads inside the recorder already tagged 5v and G, makes the job almost too easy.

From outside

Iinside the ground station

works like a charm, and again... 15$ !!! that old speed control used to cost 50$ lol !!
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:54 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
How's that Vupoint recorder's video recording quality? I have an EasyCAP and am happy with its video quality I just don't want to lug around a laptop all the time. I saw your videos but from what I can tell they look almost identical? I don't care about sound, just video quality. It'll be recording a 500+ line camera's output. If the video quality is good I'm all over this deal. Any idea what size battery will fit the case and how long it might record on battery power? If not 6+ hours I may go the same route as you and use a 12v to 5v converter and put it inside the case.
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Last edited by gobigkahuna; Nov 20, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:49 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
You won't learn much from videos captured off TV or DVD to any recorder.
TV shows and movies are shot in such a way to minimize excessive
high detail motion. They avoid rapid pans and zooming and rolling.
FPV videos on the other hand are heavy on all of those things combinging them
in complex ways that wreak havok on video compression algorithms. A TV show
might only require 2-3Mbit/s to capture cleanly, while a typical FPV video
typically suffers at anything less than about 4-5Mbit, and may require as much as
10-12Mbit/s just for regular NTSC or PAL feed.

Your best best is to do a search for keywords
FPV and Vupoint together on Youtube and Vimeo and see what you come up with.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:30 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna View Post
How's that Vupoint recorder's video recording quality? I have an EasyCAP and am happy with its video quality I just don't want to lug around a laptop all the time. I saw your videos but from what I can tell they look almost identical? I don't care about sound, just video quality. It'll be recording a 500+ line camera's output. If the video quality is good I'm all over this deal. Any idea what size battery will fit the case and how long it might record on battery power? If not 6+ hours I may go the same route as you and use a 12v to 5v converter and put it inside the case.
Honestly i see the same quality as my easycap, you have a good 4 x 4 x 1 inch to put a batery inside but you need 5v,the board inside is only taking half of the casing, i bet they wanted to make it look bigger than it really is.

Here is a sample video recorded from my vupoint and uploaded directly to youtube, the youtube compression makes it looks worst that it really his, the 2nd video is the same flight but captured with my brother dvd recorder (for home application)

I was tired of hauling my expensive laptop in the field to capture my flights and its 1 less thing to carry around.

1st vid captured with Vupoint.
Dragon OSD Maiden 19 Novembre 2011 (6 min 42 sec)

2nd one captured with DVD recorder (You have to finalise dvd each time to play it on computer.. 1 flight = 1 dvd)
first flight dosd v2 (5 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:11 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
The compression artifacts that YouTube adds to these videos make it so hard to judge video quality especially, as daemon suggested, because FPV video is typically pretty noisy to start with.

FWIW I'm not so interested in a DVD recorder, I like the idea of recording to a re-useable medium much more.

@bakchos - To my eye, the two videos look nearly equally bad. How did they look before you uploaded them to YouTube? Did one look better?
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:32 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna View Post
The compression artifacts that YouTube adds to these videos make it so hard to judge video quality especially, as daemon suggested, because FPV video is typically pretty noisy to start with.

FWIW I'm not so interested in a DVD recorder, I like the idea of recording to a re-useable medium much more.

@bakchos - To my eye, the two videos look nearly equally bad. How did they look before you uploaded them to YouTube? Did one look better?
A little better, but its fine too me, i have an Aiptek HD onboard, the recording is just to have GPS coord if something goes bad and to review my flights after for "debrief" lol

Again, 15$, records static, portable and easy on/off record/stop, all i need in a 15$ package, when was the last time you had something at 15$ doing all this ?

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:02 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
@bakchos - what screen are you using...and is it also $15 (I need one)

@everyone_else - What screens are you using....and how close to $15 do they get lol

EDIT

Just to cover all bases (re: comparisons)....Anyone have a video of the output of the $200 FJ-DVR-SD4? so we can compare??

EDIT 2

Found one...but doen't say what camera is used, video here

Curious, how many think the difference is worth the extra $185 (it does have a build in screen and is a nice one-piece unit -I might still get one LOL)
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Last edited by idletime; Nov 20, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
@bakchos - what screen are you using...and is it also $15 (I need one)

@everyone_else - What screens are you using....and how close to $15 do they get lol

EDIT

Just to cover all bases (re: comparisons)....Anyone have a video of the output of the $200 FJ-DVR-SD4? so we can compare??

EDIT 2

This is the screen
Found one...but doen't say what camera is used, video here

Curious, how many thing the difference is worth the extra $185 (it does have a build in screen and is a nice one-piece unit -I might still get one LOL)
Here is the screen Link, the screen was use in my carpc but i broke the touchscreen on it when removing for swap, so i installed it in the ground station.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:32 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post

EDIT

I've had both.. .no longer have the VuPoint. There are lots of differences...as would be expected for the price difference.
VuPoint:
Larger
No video screen
Lower quality recording
Must have external power
Can't FF/RWD playback of recordings
Inexpensive
FJ-DVR-SD4:
Has display screen
Smaller, much smaller
Can FF/RWD recordings
Self powered or can use external power
Higher quality recording
More Expensive

For the price difference of course there's going to be a quality difference. Your trying to compare apples and oranges. For $15 the VuPoint is worth the try. I paid $40 for mine and was happy to sell it and keep the SD4 recorder.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
It looks to me like both of the above ground recordings were hurt by some sort of
full frame static in the signal. Random static is impossible to compress. One thing I
notice is that the VuPoint seems to take a long time to recover from the static. The
compression artifacts take a long time to clear up which is indicative of a recorder
that has a low compression rate, and waits a long time between keyframes.
That works fine for noise-free content recorded off the TV, but not so much for FPV.

While I always record my flights for safety (to find downed planes), I also think there
is value in having a decent enough ground recording that you might actually want to
post the vid, in case there is some issue with your on-board recording.
For instance in this flight the SD card on the Hero filled up about 1/3rd of the way
into the flight, so I ended up posting only the ground recording.
It's the kind of high detail, high motion that pushes a recorder to its limits
FPV - Skywalker - High wind abuse (3 min 52 sec)

Notice that the ground detail never turns into nebulous compression blocks, and that's
even after another round of compression at Vimeo. The higher quality video you
give to Vimeo your YouTube the less it'll mangle it. Compressing compression artifacts
is hard.

Similarly, a flight from yesterday, after YouTube has had a go at it.
FPV - Chasing warbird (7 min 6 sec)

I had an antenna problem so there was a lot more static in the video feed, but
can see it recovers from it very quickly, and fine detail even in an open field of grass
is still retained.

Granted, this is from a very expensive recorder, but should be able to get comparable
quality from the likes of the Japan DVR. Not going to see much close to this
in the sub $100 range, but it can help to understand what you're looking at when
you see video samples.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:06 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
I use this Sony MC6 DVDdirect Recorder, and really like this recorder.

Take a look at my latest recording, to check the quality -you can skip to 00:18 where it looks best after the takeoff.

FPV Herstedøster (5 min 39 sec)
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower