Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:22 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,865 Posts
Question
need help setting up blade 400 head for 3D

hey guys,
I got a good deal on a blade 400 3D and so far I like it. I put some high speed/torque servos on the cyclic (MKS DS-530). I have CF mains and paddles. I am trying to setup the rotorhead for 3D and quick response using as little expo and atv as possible. I am using a DX6i. I remember back in the day we had a post for the eco-8 listing the exact lengths for the rotorhead linkages to make the eco-8 fly perfect. I am looking for the same thing for the blade. searched RCG and google with no luck except a few youtube videos which I didn't like. the blade grips have been flipped to increase pitch but the rotorhead binds at full positive collective. maybe the stock setup would work. so if you know a link to the manual that actually explains the linkage lengths or something similar please let me know.
other than that it does fly pretty good, just crappy cyclic response. tail is setup perfectly

thanks,
Brandon
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
EVOL OT YLF
Weston-s-Mare Uk
Joined Nov 2008
694 Posts
http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...nual_loRes.pdf

Dan.
dan c is offline Find More Posts by dan c
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:00 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,865 Posts
thanks, but that doesn't show any of the rotorhead linkage lengths?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:12 PM
Blade Flyer
USA, WI, Two Rivers
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
Blade 400 PNP Manual

I think you'll find what you are looking for here.

http://www.slyster.com/heli/pnpman.pdf
pb7424 is offline Find More Posts by pb7424
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:20 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,865 Posts
thats the one! thank you very much. now, does it fly any better with the blade grips flipped or should I return them to the stock setup? thanks again.

Brandon
Old Nov 22, 2009, 03:17 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,259 Posts
I felt my Blade's cyclic was much faster, and more accurate with the grips flipped. I'm not sure why you mentioned wanting to use little Expo, and ATV. On my DX6I I had 100% ATV, and 20% expo. I used 75% on the swash mix aileron, and elevator. For Pitch I had 83%. This will vary depending on your servo arm lengths. I tried to match the forward elevator arm length.
The mixers can also be flipped. The linkage can rub on the lower mixer bolt, if the mixer is not flipped. There are many options on how to assemble the head. So a picture would be nice on how you set it up.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:17 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,865 Posts
thanks for the info, 'm going to mess with it this morning and see what happens. you know, when I had my eco-8 we used to put a raptor .30 flybar on them, holy crap that would more than double the cyclic rate! are there any drop in replacement flybars for the blade that are longer?

thanks again,
Brandon
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:21 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,865 Posts
alrighty, just got two flights in. I flipped the washout and the mixer on the blade grips. flies like it's on rails even in the gusty winds here in Kansas. loops and rolls were predictable and straight. now, just need a better ESC because the stock one keeps shutting down after a few minutes. what kind of flight time should I be getting out of a 1800mah pack? also, will be looking for a slightly longer flybar thanks again guys.

Brandon
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I would think that getting rid of the stock paddles w/ the built in weights and putting Trex 450 paddles on it w/o flybar weight should speed up the cyclic as well right?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:18 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,259 Posts
The Blades flybar weights are removable.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:47 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,865 Posts
I have CF flybar paddles will post some pics.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,865 Posts
pics