to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blepkowski View Post
Yes, jak się masz!

Do most CB100's exhibit issues with the tail motors?

Do the shaft drive tails have other common breakage issues besides the drive gears? How does the pitch linkage and hardware hold up?
Dobze, dzeinkujemi.
As Bob reiterates, a lot depends on where you would like to fly the beast. If it is indoors, you should get the CB100. Even then, the CB100 might do just fine outside too(I'm hopeful). The other heli's are bigger and more challenging. I'm leaning heavily toward the CB100 versus all the other stuff out there. When you get used to and like the CB100, then you'll have to decide which large FP or CP heli you'd like to get.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:07 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Like Bob and Jack said It is completly diff from planes as I can fly just about any fixed wing out there but helis is another story. The cb100 is my first fp heli and for the price you get alot. just be patient and practice. I would recomend the MIA tuff skids though as they have made learning easier for me.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:24 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
More than a few say 4#3 is incorrigible.

A few say 4g3 is. All the complications of CP, none of the advantages.

Any tailmotor, shaft or otherwise, is suspect. 90* gearing is not easy to engineer reliably, and Walkera is not notorious for reliability to start with.

I've got 6 helis. If I had a bottomless mastercard I would buy both CB100 and 180, and MSR. All have attractive features. How those features work in practice, that's hard to tell without buying one even if you read all the threads.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:45 PM
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Haha getting all of them crossed my mind as the easiest way to settle this debate!

Flying inside is a plus but not a requirement, if for instance I was told the UFLY or 180D would be a better flier then that would be enough for me.

Coming from the micro planes they are very twitchy compared to larger versions however the trade off is that the micro planes almost non existent mass makes them very very durable.

I was wondering if the same holds true for these micro heli's in both ease of flight and durability.
blepkowski is offline Find More Posts by blepkowski
Old Nov 22, 2009, 03:31 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Hawhawhaw, you've hit upon a rule in flying objects. Mass = stability but also = damage. I've got a $20 toy coax. Almost uncontrollable, it piros almost constantly. But who cares? It's so small and light it can't damage itself or anything else.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,935 Posts
Quote:
Haha getting all of them crossed my mind as the easiest way to settle this debate!

Flying inside is a plus but not a requirement, if for instance I was told the UFLY or 180D would be a better flier then that would be enough for me.

Coming from the micro planes they are very twitchy compared to larger versions however the trade off is that the micro planes almost non existent mass makes them very very durable.

I was wondering if the same holds true for these micro heli's in both ease of flight and durability.
The UFLY and 180D have the shaft drive with plastic gears. I don't consider that very reliable. If size isn't a problem for you, there's always the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch too.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:

yes the Mass thing hold true in helicopters same as planes - the bigger they are the harder they fall.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
320 Posts
The cb100 is a very stable fp helicopter but it can go very fast if you set it up that way. I've seen videos of MSR in FFF but the max speed attainable by the cb100 seems to be faster than the MSR. However, the cb100 can't change directions as quickly as the MSR due it its heavier weight. It wins in terms of speed but loses out in agility. The cb100 can fly in winds of around 2.5MPH with a lot cyclics but with poor performance. If you want to fly outdoors, I suggest that you get bigger helicopters with powerful setups.
altronpower is offline Find More Posts by altronpower
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:10 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
325 Posts
If your still interested I have the CX2, MCX, MSR, UFLY & CD180, HB2 FP & the Blade SR.
The MCX is great to learn orientation on but you don't really fly it, it flies itself, you just steer.
The CX2 is a great co-ax and on no wind days outside it can get going and is super stable and very easy to fly. But my motor has now gone, but it did a gazillion flights - a great learner! I would consider this as a next step.
MSR is easy to fly slowly, but can get away from you very quickly once you up the speed, I'm not a fan of it's self correcting self stabalizing set up - it kind of see-saws back and forth. But good to learn on as you can crash it at will and you have to react fast at times which helps the skills.
CD180 is super stable and great to fly on light or no wind days, it looks great and can get going in FF, but the tail rotors break if they hit a strong breeze, well maybe a leaf, buy lots of spares. But you still have to fly this as it can wander quickly. But this would also be a good next step and only a tad harder to fly than the CX2.
UFLY - is Ok but I went through two sets of rear tail gears in super short time (under 5 minutes flying) and the tail drive shaft snapped when I dramatically changed sppeds and direction. I think it is too powerful for the cheap plastic gears, and needs some mods in that department.
The Blade SR is my first CP heli and it's hardest of the lot to fly and quite daunting. It spins up to a fair rate even in it's low rates and moves about a bit, and any crash (I haven't had one yet) will involve repairs. Notfor the inexperienced despite what Horizon Hobbies says.
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Mar 06, 2010, 03:53 AM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Seems you have no helicopter experience at all.. Let me try to give you a simple idea of what you are looking at as far as to the skill needed. Flying a coaxial heli is like standing on two feet, flying a 45 degree fly bar FP heli is like standing on one foot, flying a 90 degree FP heli is like standing on one foot on a bowling ball, flying a CP heli is like standing on your head on a bowling ball, flying 3D CP is like standing on your head on two bowling balls stacked one on top of the other..
Imo this is your best post ever!

regards
edwin
edwin3162 is offline Find More Posts by edwin3162
Old Apr 04, 2010, 01:20 AM
A Bloody Paraplegic
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
19 Posts
I pretty much started with a Blade MSR.

Hi Bob,

Don't forget to add while going down steps backwards in a bloody wheelchair with 3 wheels after a few drinks in there :-)

I have had a heap of fun with the Blade MSR but now need (read that have to have) another Helicopter so I have ordered a Walkera HM4G6.

You can read about the fun I have had with the MSR and my plans for it here
http://www.abloodyparaplegic.com/mod...icopters_1.htm

Can anyone tell me if this is burnt out. It popped off my MSR tail rotor motor when it got tangled in a fellow inmates hair when I landed it on his head.

Cheers
John
A Bloody Paraplegic
Perth
Western Australia
JJPD is offline Find More Posts by JJPD
Old Apr 04, 2010, 03:04 AM
Joined Oct 2006
150 Posts
hi John, its tought to tell from your photo but I think your tail brushes look fine. When they are burnt the " fingers" of the brush are very short , burnt looking and sometimes missing. The hard part is going to be getting the cap back on with the commutator lined up AND having the brushes not totally bent and smashed by putting it together.
What works for me is to remove or loosen what ever is on the shaft and slide it out of the can a bit. With the commutator end sticking out it is easier to see whats going on and CAREFULY insert it between the brushes. when you got that push down on the cap back onto the can. Use some CA or epoxy to make sure it stays (at lest for a while).

I alway knock the end off my 4#3 tail motors....actually I dont think I have ever truely wore one out, brush-wise. It doesnt take too much force " in " on the shaft to bust off the cap. Be careful when pushing on pinions or props. Hold the cap end with your thumb.
charbot is offline Find More Posts by charbot