Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:35 AM
what goes up...
Alton Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
Discussion
Futaba Receiver antenna

Hi guys,
flying my GP Sportster last night I noticed as it got out a ways it would twitch a little. I brought her down and found that the antenna had shortened itself somehow. this is 72MHZ system

If I measure the antenna on another Futaba receiver can I then add a new length of wire to the shortened one to make it the same length?

What kind of wire can I use?

Thanks,
Steve
ezrydr is offline Find More Posts by ezrydr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,896 Posts
You can. Any kind of flexible multistrand insulated wire is fine.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:04 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
3,992 Posts
As Slipstick said, any multistrand (so it is flexible) wire will do and any length from 39 to 41 inches long will be fine.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:26 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrydr View Post
Hi guys, flying my GP Sportster last night I noticed as it got out a ways it would twitch a little. I brought her down and found that the antenna had shortened itself somehow. this is 72MHZ system
If I measure the antenna on another Futaba receiver can I then add a new length of wire to the shortened one to make it the same length?
What kind of wire can I use? Thanks, Steve
Repair with multi strand (say 45g) flexible wire but IMO easier to visit your LHS and obtain correct length pre-tinned original receiver antenna, which cost $0.50>$1.
Receiver - Antenna - Original lengths for Hitec, Futaba, GWS & JR
Receiver - Antenna - Does Length Really Matter?

Further information available under sub Sections
"Antenna - Rubber Duckie, Micro & Whip Flywire - replace long aerials with loaded base antenna"
"Range check and Range problem solving"
"Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception.."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
what goes up...
Alton Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
thanks guys~

Alan - wow that's a lot of info you have there! great reference site!

another question on antennas then...

I usually try to mount my antennas by exiting the fuse right behind canopy area and then attach to the top of vertical stabilizer with a rubber band rather than just hanging out the bottom of the fuse (which is how I had my Sportster antenna and why, I think, is got truncated)

by attaching to vert fin it keeps most of antenna from dragging on ground while taxiing. But other than that, is one method preferred over the other?
ezrydr is offline Find More Posts by ezrydr
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:10 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrydr View Post
thanks guys~ Alan - wow that's a lot of info you have there! great reference site! another question on antennas then...
I usually try to mount my antennas by exiting the fuse right behind canopy area and then attach to the top of vertical stabilizer with a rubber band rather than just hanging out the bottom of the fuse (which is how I had my Sportster antenna and why, I think, is got truncated)
by attaching to vert fin it keeps most of antenna from dragging on ground while taxiing. But other than that, is one method preferred over the other?
Refer attached file and section
"Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception.." at

Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Regards
Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,753 Posts
The only problem with extending the antenna with a separate piece of wire is that the soldering creates a section that is prone to fail from vibration. Of course, heat shrink helps, but I'd much rather see a whole new antenna of good flexible wire.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 21, 2009, 03:24 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The only problem with extending the antenna with a separate piece of wire is that the soldering creates a section that is prone to fail from vibration. Of course, heat shrink helps, but I'd much rather see a whole new antenna of good flexible wire.
OTOH opening up the Rx and soldering a new antenna to the (often very tightly packed) circuit board requires a rather higher level of skill than just soldering two bits of wire together .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick