HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:37 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Apprentice-Alula Air Launch

I won this E-Flite Apprentice as a raffle prize a couple of years ago. I have flown it both as a landplane and a floatplane. Tom Blakeney wanted to air launch his Alula and dug out a launch rack he had built many years ago. He adapted it and mounted it on the Apprentice and the combination flew very well. I had modified the Apprentice with flaps and he used a "Y" harness from the flap servo cable to operate the glider release servo.

Tom piloted the Apprentice while Paul Willenborg flew the Alula.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:47 PM
Muncie,IN 47304 USA
Joined Dec 2003
760 Posts
Steve Staples "WELL DONE !!!

Steve Staples "WELL DONE""" !!!
Dr. Sandy Frank is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Sandy Frank
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:13 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Apprentice-Klingberg Rocket Wing Launch

While Tom and I were working on our airplanes, Larry Askrens walked up with a built Klingberg Rocket Wing he wanted to sell. I had been flying rockets all day and it seemed like a natural thing to buy it. I started to set up a launch system for sending it up off a launch rod like the rest of my rockets when Tom suggested that we air launch it from the Apprentice as we had just done with his Alula.

Tom borrowed a brushed ESC from on of Dave Graben's planes and used it to light the rocket engine igniter.

At launch, Tom flew the Apprentice while Paul was on the Wing. The Apprentice did not have enough power to ROG with the Wing on it's back, so Sparky hand launched it.

After the Wing was released, Tom took over the Wing and Paul took over the Apprentice. Tom lit the rocket engine and the hatch that the motor was attached to flew off with the engine. The wing continued to fly smoothly but Tom soon found out he did not have control over the Wing. A light breeze pushed the wing over and behind the clubhouse far into the woods.

Because I was wearing shorts and was told there was a large amount of poison ivy in the woods, Tom went under the barbed wire and hunted down and retrieved the Wing. It had glided to a perfect landing on top of a blackberry bush.

The reason radio control was lost when the hatch left was that the ESC wires went through a hole in the hatch and they were pulled by the hatch and this disconnected the ESC from the receiver.
Last edited by Richard N; Jun 09, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:34 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Apprentice-Raven 2M Glider Tow Attempt 1

I built this Dave Jones designed Raven 2M tailess sailplane back in the '80s but never got around to flying it. Tom saw it in my house and said I should bring it with us to SMALL and tow it with my Apprentice. We rigged a releasable tow hook in the Raven and attached a towline to a nylon bolt near the trailing edge of the wing. Here is the first attempt.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:50 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Apprentice-Raven 2M Glider Tow Attempt 2-Flight 1

It was found that the Raven needed a good fast launch to stay up and not drag the towplane down. This flight went well.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:13 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Apprentice-Raven 2M Glider Tow Flight 3

These pictures are from the far side of the runway. Everything worked on this flight and Paul got in some thermal time.
Last edited by Richard N; Jun 09, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 08:59 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Man...having as much fun as we did at SMALL last week must be illegal!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 09, 2010, 09:58 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Klingberg rocket launch...

Oh,... the Klingberg wing rocket launch was the best !!!!! ok...you take this transmitter, I take that one... you go over I go under. Launch.... rocket fire !!!! The hatch took off with the motor and did better helicopters than Richards rockets did.... so much fun !!!! The wing did the most beautiful glide off field. This was the hit of the whole fun fly !!!!!

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jun 09, 2010, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
I remember watching that thing glide away and wondering why someone didn't bother trying to rc it. Didn't know the entire story until I read the post. It was a grand attempt for sure.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:07 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Oh,... the Klingberg wing rocket launch was the best !!!!! ok...you take this transmitter, I take that one... you go over I go under. Launch.... rocket fire !!!! The hatch took off with the motor and did better helicopters than Richards rockets did.... so much fun !!!! The wing did the most beautiful glide off field. This was the hit of the whole fun fly !!!!!

Stringfly <>+++++
All I can say is....somedays you are the pigeon...and somedays you are the statue....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
Carp, Ontario
Joined Sep 2004
3 Posts
S.M.A.L.L. in Canada

Dear All

I have watched your recent S.M.A.L.L. event on this forum, and wish I could have attended. Thanks so much to those that have uploaded pictures.

If you haven't tired of S.M.A.L.L. planes, I would like to invite you to a similar event in Canada that attracts a local contingent of like-minded hobbiests. The event is the:

Dynamic Hobbies S.M.A.L.L. event hosted by the Rideau RC flyers (http://www.rideauflyers.com). The event is sponsored by Dynamic Hobbies which is one of our local hobby shops. The event is hosted at the Rideau RC flyers, providing one of the best RC flying facilities in Canada. See location here: http://www.rideauflyers.com/avmap.html

The event is scheduled for Saturday, July 17, 2010 with Sunday July 18 as a rain date.

Personally, I build a new plane each year for this event. Last year, I built a Spitfire powered by a Saito .30. The year before, I built a Sig Lil' Extra sporting a Norvel .074. This year, I plan to honor our history by flying a plane with a vintage Cox .049. You will need to show up to find out what plane I select.

I hope you will consider traveling to continue enjoying your S.M.A.L.L. passions.

Best Regards
David Pearson
Carp, Ontario
djppearson is offline Find More Posts by djppearson
Last edited by djppearson; Jun 11, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:24 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
David,

I hope you have a big SMALL and great weather.

Americans planning on attending this event in Canada need to be sure to have their passport to make the border crossing. You need to contact your insurance agent to find out if your auto and health insurance will cover you in Canada. Depending on your cell phone carrier and plan, you will probably be charged international rates in Canada. With my ATT phone, I bought a temporary Canada only long distance plan that made calls a little higer than domestic US but less than international long distance rates to Canada. I know this information from having driven from driving from the US into Canada from Montreal to Toronto in 2008.

Have fun,

Richard
Last edited by Richard N; Jun 14, 2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added insurance and cell phone information.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:29 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Did anyone get any pictures of my P-180 Avanti
Too busy flying to take any photos

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:22 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA