HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:14 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
Contest
World Championship F3K 2011 - preliminary info

Posted this somewhere els and thought about starting a thread instead. First F3K world championship is soon here! I'll post updates when they are finalized...

Contest city, Arboga you'll find here...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=59.392...55189&t=h&z=14

WC schedule 2011 is as follows (MIGHT BE UPDATED):

see Bulletin....

Practice

The contest site will be open for practice from June 29. An Open International F3K competition will be held on site 2010. An excellent possibility
to get early knowledge about the site and facilities!

Entry fee
Competitor 195 Euros
Supporter 35 Euros

Environment
The Championship will be arranged as a ”Green” environment friendly competition.

Accomodation

• Camping at the competition site with toilets, showers and wireless Internet
• Several hotels in Arboga
• Rental cabins 15 km south of the competition site.

Preliminary organisation
Contest director Rolf Påhlsson Experienced contest director, including F4 world Championships 2006
Deputy director Bengt Lindgren Chairman Swedish Model Flying Federation
Scoring Mats Josefson Experienced contest administrator

Travel arrangements
Airports
Stockholm-Arlanda, 170 km by car (major airlines)
Stockholm-Skavsta, 150 km by car (Ryanair)
Västerås, 55 km by car (Ryanair)
Train
Commuter to Stockholm ~1h 15 min
Arboga railway station ~5 km from competition site

The History of Arboga
Arboga and the surrounding area boast a number of important historical sites from events which have influenced the entire country at various times during the last 1000 years. Settlements in Arboga date from as far back as the Stone Age and there are several historical sites revealing remains from various periods in Arboga’s history in the surrounding area. Götlunda (10km from Arboga) has remaines from the 11th Century which features a rune stone called Kung Sigges sten (King Sigge’s stone). Between Arboga and Götlunda is the ancient castle Halvardsborg, which is one of three in the parish of Götlunda. Arboga’s town centre was already developing into a busy community in the 11th Century, with the first of five churches, St Nikolai’s, being completed 100 years later. An exciting period in Arboga’s history was when the Franciscan monks settled here during the 13th Century; Gråbröderna (the grey brotherhood), as there were called, were known for participating in communities which they thought had the potential to expand and develop. This was true of Arboga and the town owes a lot to the work of the monks, e.g. the monastery they built which later became the church of the Holy Trinity in Arboga. The monks also tended to the poor and the sick as well as teaching reading skills to children. There are many stories of an old network of underground passages in which the monks could move around the town in secret. The monks stayed in Arboga until the 16th Century, when King Gustav Vasa broke with the Roman Catholic Church, took over all the monasteries and drove the monks out of Sweden.

Arboga was an influential town during the middle ages; the Arboga River gave the town a trade route to Stockholm and the rest of the world. The iron ore trade was also an important commodity during Arboga’s history, where it was weighed and stored at Ladbron. Unfortunately the trade route was iscontinued after construction was completed on the Hjälmarkanal (Hjälmar Canal), but then the new canal did have some positive effects on Arboga. Arboga was also host to a number of important historical events including Engelbrekt’s first assembly of the Swedish parliament in 1435. The town was also a residence for monarchs – during the 16th Century Gustav Vasa and his daughter, Cecilia, lived here. Cecilia later became Countess Cecilia of Arboga and lived in the church building Helge And, which later became the town hall and remains so today. Arboga, with its well preserved medieval character, is a beautiful and charming town. The ancient cobble stones of Västerlånggatan(the riverside street, lined with period wooden houses) have been trodden by the feet of many locals and travellers throughout the ages. Close by is the old village chamber, famous for its special stories. It was here that Lasse-Maja, a master thief known throughout Sweden, was almost captured -affording Arboga another interesting episode in its long history. Further information on Arboga’s interesting history, people and places can be obtained by booking dramatized guided tours and organized walks, as well as visiting Arboga Tourist Information.

/Jonas Ekman ,Sweden
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Last edited by oakman7004; Jan 02, 2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Contest days updated...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:18 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info Oakman. Sure sounds exciting. I'm sure it will be a great event for the competitors.

Can you confirm something? The FAI schedule on the official FAI website http://events.fai.org/calendar?id=80 lists the 2011 F3K World Champs as for Juniors and Seniors. It lists this similarly for other WCs that I am aware of that will have a separate class for Juniors. Can you confirm if this is correct for F3K (it being a new class I don't think any of us know for sure).

Thanks!

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:27 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
The current plan is that there will be one Junior and one Senior class as it is in other gliding classes.

/Jonas
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:02 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,162 Posts
If possible can you identify the exact field that will be used? The google maps link above is broken.
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:10 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
Wow, hyperspecificity much?

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:53 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
If possible can you identify the exact field that will be used? The google maps link above is broken.
Here you go:

Arboga Sweden, Flying field
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Nov 21, 2009, 03:31 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
Thx Guz,

I updated the link....

The link clearly shows the airfields tarmac runway and the WC field will be just east of the runway. Total size is not yet decided but there is pleany of room for the field and more or less no slopesoaring possibilities close to the start and landing area during normal wind directions, which is S to SW in June in Sweden.

Next year we plan to have our F3K Eurotour competition at this field again for those who wanna come over and play F3K alittle on a coming WC field.

/J
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:38 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post
Thx Guz,

I updated the link....

The link clearly shows the airfields tarmac runway and the WC field will be just east of the runway. Total size is not yet decided but there is pleany of room for the field and more or less no slopesoaring possibilities close to the start and landing area during normal wind directions, which is S to SW in June in Sweden.

Next year we plan to have our F3K Eurotour competition at this field again for those who wanna come over and play F3K alittle on a coming WC field.

/J
Stephan,

To avoid misinterpetation or confusion, may I suggest that we all stop using the term "WC"

Might be better to call this event the "Internationals" or whatever, as long as it is not "smelling"

Cheers,

Yves
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:13 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydevriendt View Post
Stephan,

To avoid misinterpetation or confusion, may I suggest that we all stop using the term "WC"

Might be better to call this event the "Internationals" or whatever, as long as it is not "smelling"

Cheers,

Yves

Smells....what's south of Toulouse?? Aren't you used to a smell?

/Jonas
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:24 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
Updated the Schedule...

/Jonas Ekman
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:20 AM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post
Smells....what's south of Toulouse?? Aren't you used to a smell?

/Jonas
South of Toulouse is the Mediterranean Sea. And no, I'm not "used to a smell" in my living environment. Besides I live ~300 Km North of Toulouse.

Last time we smelled something bad here (already a few decades ago) it came from Tchernobyl.

Anyway, my point is - and I believe that you have understood this very well -that the term WC is used all over the world for the toilets, lavatories etc...
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:35 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
723 Posts
Due to the context, I think most of us know what WC refers to in this thread. Anyway, Internationals are different beasts to World Champs.

Mike
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:14 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
Any updates to this thread?

The US team will be holding their finals this weekend.
http://www.f3k.us/
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:45 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
No not really. The organizers are just now finalizing the tasks, organisation, helpers and preparing the upcoming bulletin.

As soon as I have info I'll post it here!

/Jonas
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:43 AM
CH:
Joined Sep 2010
61 Posts
how is it with timekeepers. will there be dedicated timers or pilots changing on timing? and helpers, shal pilots bring theire own spotters/helpers?
CH: is offline Find More Posts by CH: