HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Robert May, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
I glad to see you are back on this!
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you RG

I normally wouldn't be indoors modelling at this time of the year but this is a very wet Summer, over 100mm of rain this week alone! With most of the jobs done around the house, The Waveney is a better option than watching;Tennis, Football and in a few weeks time the Olympics.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,687 Posts
Amen
Welcome back Bob!
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you Jerry

With the mast blank saved from being a useful stick I decided to turn a button for the mast head. I don't have a small woodturning lathe so with a scrap of Beech, (cut to an appropriate size hexagon) glued onto a dowell, whole lot was mounted in the rechargable drill, a Scapel blade mounted at centre height and I had a makeshift lathe.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Gaff jaws

The introduction of GRP for boats 27-34 into the fleet also bought about a Mk11 Gaff Jaw, Kingcup gets a MK1 but the challenge of moulding the elegant MK11 in aluminium looked like a fun project in itself.

The MK1 is galvanised "C" shoe with a stitched leather jacket
Last edited by Robert May; Jun 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Parrel Beads

The Gaff jaws on the Waveney are secured by a piece of rope with 22mm (7/8ths) wooden Parrel Beads to act as runners. A scout through the bead box and shops in town drew a blank for anything close to a 3.6 mm bead.

Back in the workshop a redundant watchmakers screwdriver was soon modified into a chisel with the correct bead diameter sharpened into it. Worth noting, after a few modeller's experiments showed that if one leg of the chisel was left a fraction longer than the other it formed a useful parting tool to cut the bead off the dowel.
The 1mm drill acts as a fixed centre when turning the bead and also stops the bead from escaping once it is parted off.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Gaff Jaws ready for the Gaff

A bit of boot polish, a bit of scuffing and removing the galvanizing where the halyard eye rubs and the Jaws are weathered in a bit.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
(!)

My goal in life is to build just one model with the same attention to detail that you have afforded this one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you RG, my goal is to try to finish just one too, this one! I think the luxury of having time in the workshop means that each little fitting or component becomes a model in itself and therefore deserves to be my best effort.

Have you got a model in mind?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Yes.. and no.

A planked steam launch, but I haven't chosen the launch or the steam plant yet. I have two or three other builds that I want to use a training projects to gain the skills that I don't yet realize I don't have

At the rate I work, I need to live a very long time. It is all part of my master plan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
A planked steam launch? Nice! A model engineer friend has a part complete marine steam plant and boiler which he says I can have if I want to finish it off, he has started on a V8 and has lost intertest in the a steam engine. He previously built a model V.W air cooled flat 4 which now powers his bicycle. Now those are skills I wish I had.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Bowprit shoe

I know I should be planking but while the metal kit is out for the mast fittings I have decided to run up against the problems of the Bowsprit shoe, a very distinctive and prominent fitting on the foredeck.
I have tried carving out a plaster mould to "ingot" pour molten bronze into, that works after a fashion but the quality of the casting means a lot of time with a file, There is nothing wrong with that but this seems like a good excuse to play with lost wax casting. Lost Wax or investment casting is a standard method of making Jewellery and IF I ever decide to kit the GRP model, fittings will need to be available. A rubber mould taken off a wooden plug gives me the option of a single Shoe or the chance to make more wax models if the first experiment doesn't work.

Let the photos do the talking
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Does anyone know why this thread is "stickied"?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:45 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,197 Posts
A craffty Man...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Well the first experiment failed, it seems that Acrylic spray primer will not stand 160 deg C.
Today has been a case of trial and more than a few errors but with lessons learnt I am hoping that when I get up tomorrow I will have a rubber mould for making wax plugs. I do have servicable system and have made a few reasonable plugs but having chanced on Jerry's "Pride of Baltimore" thread decided that I shouldn't put up with reasonable. Fantastic work Jerry! I think if I had seen that thread before now I would have been inspired to pull my finger out a bit sooner.

Anyhow here is a photo of Lesson 1 from early this morning.