SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Robert May, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:51 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
How many times have I heard it said that when you retire you wonder how ever you found time to work? The first 3 months were fine but now every week seems to simply evaporate. More soon I hope!
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:18 PM
Nothing Special
Middletown, CT
Joined Dec 2003
272 Posts
What a gorgeous piece of work. I am in awe of your talent. Maybe one day when I retire I'll be half as good as you.
grouch is offline Find More Posts by grouch
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
Any inklings on moving on with the Waveney? I apologize for the shamless bump back up to the top, but this build just speaks to me.
Wilburt is offline Find More Posts by Wilburt
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:24 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Sorry Wilburt, I am sidetracked building a business at the moment So much for retiring at 46!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:57 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
That took longer than expected folks, I am now un-retired and back to working 12-14 hour days. However all the tools have been dusted off and I am half way through nailing up the next plank. Progress might not be fast but at least I am back on task.

Lets see if we can get this thread into Scale Sailboats.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,253 Posts
You and I not only share a love of model building, but a name as well. Although I wish we shared the talent you are showing here. Excellent work!
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank You Robert, I have come across a few others before but no-one who models too.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
Another cheat; a laminated stem. 10 x 1 mm Oak strips laminated and formed in a jig keeps the grain running the right way and no-one will see it
That's not cheating Robert. That's great craftsmanship and laminating the keel or any other part is perfectly acceptable for me at least. What's cheating is a fiberglass hull that you don't have to plank. This is acceptable too but you don't get the pleasure of building the hull piece by piece.
Looking good here RM so keep the pictures coming. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:55 PM
United States, WA, Everett
Joined Apr 2004
120 Posts
Please keep it all comming, We are all learning from your great build.
zorrow is offline Find More Posts by zorrow
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you guys. I can't promise a quick build but keep an eye for updates.

Fresh green Oak and Ash has ceased to be a problem, my little boy has grown up to be a Tree Surgeon. All I need to do now is to train him to spot Knees and Stems before wielding the chainsaw too quickly.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Please, dust this project off, and bring this boat to water.

Your build answered many questions I had about copper fastening. You patience and fastidious attention to detail is truly inspiring!
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:12 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you RG. Those are very kind words!
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
835 Posts
"kind words" are attracted to you as iron fillings to a magnet....i'm afraid you'll have to suffer being trapped in a cage of kind words forever ....i'm totally incapable of such detailed, careful craftmanship...congrats....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,790 Posts
Wow !

Mr. May, I would like to say how impressive the planking is ! I am only now looking at the sailboats in this group and so only now seeing this build ... I am trying to learn to plank, this looks like the place !I will continue to watch ....
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Back on the project

It has been a while but I am back onto the Waveney! The mast blank has had a couple of years to season and I have had to rescue it from being a "chill out its just a stick" so before I get back to planking I might as well do one of the fun jobs; shaping the mast.
Shaping a round solid mast usually involves cutting the blank to profile and then with a pair of Compasses and battens set about planing it into an Octogon, then a 16-ogon, then a 32-ogon before nipping of the corners and sanding it round. At this scale 14.6mm is not very big for me to attempt to accurately divide up circles into an accurate octogon let alone a 16-ogon. so with a bit of head scratching and inspired by Norm (New Yankee workshop) out came the Proxxon Micro table saw.

An accurate-to scale drawing of the cuts was done on Illustrator which allowed me to Mic' the fence
Last edited by Robert May; Jun 22, 2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add photos