HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Robert May, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:56 AM
Essex England
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
Ha ha

You beat me to it by seven minutes.

I have a photo of Cyril sailing Ala in about 1946. I will try to find it
Vintageflyer is offline Find More Posts by Vintageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Lets see what comes forth from the internet, someone reading this might know about Ala. I will certainly make a few enquiries to see what falls out of the tree.

The mooring descrided in that tale sounds close to that where at various times I have seen Madie and the Wherry Albion moored. I used to take parties of probation kids for a sail out from Hunters Yard and sail down to Thurne for Coffee. Sundew' Waveney No 18 is up at Hunters Yard and can be hired out by the day. Last time I sailed Sundew we had a summer squall which required 3 reefs and a very exciting beat down the Bure. Despite the often 90 degree bends in the River the wind always seems to be on your nose.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:39 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
The need for steam! Boats are full of curves, you might have a pair of curves that are the same; one on the port side one on the starboard but mostly every curve is different. The wood we build our boats with comes in nice long straight lengths with hopefully nice tight parallel grain running the full length.

Steam is used to bend straight timber into the curves we need. Here is my simple steamer: Domestic wallpaper stripper, short length of 1 1/4 waste pipe and a couple of stoppers made from sponge.

I mentioned that there was some really short grain at the stem on P3, P4 was worse and cracked as I was fixing the plank. P4 is right on the bend and goes from horizontal amidships to near vertical at the stem it's real big ask for timber this small. To prevent a repeat crack and all the fiddle that goes into the repair, P4 gets the steam treatment.
Last edited by Robert May; Dec 15, 2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
A visit from the class officials

It comes to something when the Waveney class measurer gets on a bus and travels 360 miles to inspect the build. I will have to wait to see if I am in class.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:09 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
2 Weeks and its still too cold to get into the workshop, we haven't had a winter like this for 30 odd years.

Lotty is 600 miles WSW of Cape Verde and will appreciate a view from home.
Last edited by Robert May; Jan 05, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
Kudos!

I anxiously await the improvement in your weather and the continuaiton of your marvelous build log. As a confirmed lurker, I specifically joined this group to thank you for the wonderful documentary and applaud the effot that accompanies it. My hat is off to you,sir!

Wilburt
Wilburt is offline Find More Posts by Wilburt
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:00 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you Wilburt. Welcome to RCGroups!
I am really touched by your post and it has me thinking that 4 degrees and rain is probably warm enough for me to get on. After all those that are keeping the real fleet alive and in such good condition don't have the luxury of taking a months break. The East wind will be blowing in through every crack in the barn and boy when it blows in from the East over there it cuts through to your soul. The fleet needs to be on the water in under 3 months time, ready for another season.
Thank you for your very kind words and encouragement.

Robert
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:17 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
The sun is out again here comes summer

Last week it was minus 12, this week it 11 degrees and the snow has all gone.
Lotty has made it across the Atlantic, she sailed into Trinidad yesterday, enough miles in her log book for Yachtmaster in one go.

Any way I have been in the workshop getting ready for the next challenge. The tight turn on the waterline. A little modification of a small block plane is needed to dig out the hollow in the back of the boards, A couple of the boards will be cut a little thicker to accommodate the hollow.
Last edited by Robert May; Jan 17, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
Robert,

Very nice work in modifying your plane to achieve the task at hand. A very good lesson for the kids of today. You don't need to buy anything specialized to complete a task if your mind is active and you simply learn to "do".

I heard a statistic (you know about statistics!) the other day that was frightening. Over 90% of the kids under 18 in the U.S. have never seen a person "make" something. Everything is simply purchased. The first generation in the history of the world that can accurately make this claim. Thinking about this, I believe it to be accurate.

If your efforts inspire one of these unfortunate individuals to solve a problem using their brain or to make a "tool" to accomplish a task, the world will be a better place. Thinking, problem solving and doing give each of us a better life than buying ever will.

Can't wait to see the next update!

Wilburt
Last edited by Wilburt; Jan 19, 2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
glen burnie, md
Joined Feb 2009
179 Posts
Anything new?
captmsr is offline Find More Posts by captmsr
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
So happy to see this thread bumped back to the top. Cannot wait to see this thing on the water! thing of beauty already, isn't it?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:36 PM
glen burnie, md
Joined Feb 2009
179 Posts
I was hoping to see it in the scale sail section by now.
captmsr is offline Find More Posts by captmsr
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:14 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmsr View Post
I was hoping to see it in the scale sail section by now.
More snow again this morning! we have had some reasonable days where I should have been doing a bit but a few folk are quite keen for me to come out of retirement so business has been getting in the way.
I would quite like to get the thread moved too, maybe once it is there will be a bit more incentive to crack on. I stopped reporting the thread a few weeks ago, Admin must have good reason to keep it in Sailboats.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
Checking in on this build. Always hoping to see more magic, but enjoying, over and over, what I know will be one amazing build as she progresses!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:58 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
I totally agree!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded