Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Robert May, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 01:59 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
The wax,PVA and planning aren't the problem, "ooooow Shiny!" is the problem. Ever had someone "feel" the incredible shiny mould? They just have to feel how silky smooth the shiny thing is. Its oK if you notice the fingerprints before the gelcoat goes on otherwise goodbye mould, start again.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:10 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
The detail photos have arrived which allows me to do a little bit more. Rooting around looking for my own photos I came across a detail drawing from 1950 which gives a full list of "Scantlings" (Type of wood and dimensions) for the Waveney along with some very fine detail and measurements.

The Forward bulkhead is the same a station 3. Armed with the 1950 drawing and the photo of the bulkhead to show the direction of the grain I can now get the two bulkheads made.

The Aft bulkhead is a little way back from station 8 so this bulkhead has to be plotted. Using the buttock and waterlines off the plan It is fairly straight forward to plot the intersections of the two points to form the new curve.

a small note on the 1950 plan says that the timber adjacent to the aft bulkhead is adjusted to pick up the bulkhead
Last edited by Robert May; Nov 21, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Aft Bulkhead

I have had a couple of hours in the workshop machining ang glueing up some Mahogany.
First it was planed down to a tad over 3.6 mm then each of the joints was rebated, this gives a larger surface for the glue, it self jigs itself together and it should stop the joints splitting.

Once glued and assembled the joints are taped with stretched masking tape which should be enough to pull the joints together. Everything is then weighted down overnight
Last edited by Robert May; Nov 22, 2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 03:12 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Once the glue has dried overnight the template can be spray mounted onto the bulkhead. This is then cut out and sanded slightly oversize ready for final fitting.
Last edited by Robert May; Nov 22, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:22 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
So much for buying quality tools. I treated myself to a Proxxon "Dickenhobel" (German for Thicknesser) Great results but the switch has gone "kaput" (German for "you want to get on? lets see about that!) The thicknesser is under 2 months old and wasn't cheap
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:08 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,265 Posts
I'm still watching, great work by the way.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:32 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you (Don?) Is that a TR6A?

One of the reasons for building this model very much as it should be is to learn the lessons that didn't get passed on by the "Ol bees" in the boatyard (either that or us "yung uns" weren't listening. Many of the original master boatbuilders never returned to boatbuilding after the war and there haven't been a great number of new wooden boats since, hence several costly and time consuming lesson's might be re-learnt. It seems as if station 8 needs taking out or moving to be replaced with the forward bulkhead, It must be the case that this was built into the boat from the start rather than added afterwards. The forward bulkhead is basically built in 2 halves and forms the Tabernacle along with the mast step. A little bit of thinking, drawing and construction required. At least the thinking and drawing will fill up the time while I sort out my Dickenhobel! A ride to Axminster might be on the cards.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:04 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,265 Posts
Robert,
It's a 1974 TR6, there was no A's on the TR6. There was a TR4A.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:08 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
It looks in nice order, the winter salt over here didn't agree with the Triumph tin so we don't see many of the classic British cars anymore.

Working through the scantling list I suddenly realised why the Garboard planks were coming up short and ending in a point; the Hog is too narrow and will need re-working and so will all the timbers

9mm doesn't sound much and being virtually hidden for its entire length won't be seen, but as soon as one of the observant folk at W&OBYC clap eyes on the mast step and tabernacle it just won't look right.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
It seems as over the years a few of the boats have had the odd tweak. When the Hogs have needed replacing after 30 or so years they have been put back a bit wider than the original 4 1/2", the Hog in No8 for example is 6". Needing to widen mine anyway I have gone for a scale of 5 1/4" so that I can tie the bottom end of the Tabernacle and Mast step onto the Hog.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:05 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Note. Use an Eraser as a Dolly when pushing the pins through, after half a dozen nasty jabs with the blunt end of the copper nails a nice firm eraser allows a good pressue to be applied to the timber, it doesn't mark the wood, the copper nails don't get bent over. :
Old Dec 04, 2009, 11:33 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Planking has begun in earnest. Both garboards are now nailed in place. The second plank out is probably the worse one on the whole boat. Still a bit of a pointy stick where it joins the stem but this plank has the most twist of them all.
Old Dec 04, 2009, 12:51 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
I have been sent some photos of No10. Most people faced with the level of work evident in these photos would give up and buy a plastic bath. I have been looking at another one design project; of the 17 boats that started out in that fleet there is currently only firm evidence of 1 boat still in existance. The fact that the whole of the Waveney fleets still exists is a fantastic tribute to a skilled and dedicated bunch.