HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Robert May, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:09 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Discussion
Waveney One Design 1/6th scale

Here is something a bit different a 1/6th scale model of a Waveney One Design, a 20ft Half Decker whose design dates back to 1920.

26 wooden boats were built for One Design Racing and family day sailing on the Norfolk Broads. Its only a small detail but Oulton Broad which is the home of the class is actually in Suffolk. (Eastern England)

The class has a very keen following and despite some of the boats now being over 90 years old are still keenly and comptively raced from March To October, often with 3 reefs when the local Laser guys a proping up the bar. Most of the boats are in superb condition and although some are currently laid up, non have yet been lost.

I found KingCup in a very sorry state back in 1980, she had become part of the hedge that was designed to protect her from the weather some years before. 10 months later, re-timbered, re-planked and ready to race again I manage to make the start line in the Club regatta. Kingcup was sold last year in a condition close to that when she first took to the water, my father made her a retirement project and did a fanstastic "Hog up" rebuild.

I now live 360 miles from the Waveney fleet and after the Class commissioned a new set of lines for posperity have decided to model "Kingcup"

The full size Waveney is now available RTS (Ready to sail), Neil Bowles will build you a plastic one, so far 8 new GRP boats have swelled the fleet to 34 boats.

Apologies for building her upside down but at this scale something had to give. The intention is to build this model where practical and possible as close to building a new full size boat.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Last edited by Robert May; Nov 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:47 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
The Stem

Another cheat; a laminated stem. 10 x 1 mm Oak strips laminated and formed in a jig keeps the grain running the right way and no-one will see it
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:06 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
A pair of Garboards

With the Nails and roves made, all 40 of the oak timbers steamed and filleted and a good supply of cedar planks cut I can get on with building a boat. Starting with the Garboards; the first plank off the Hog which sets the tone for the rest of the planks.
Last edited by Robert May; Nov 19, 2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,347 Posts
I'm watching this build!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:36 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Welcome aboard! Don't just watch feel free to ask questions, The interaction with other modellers will help get this boat in the water. This is my first boat in 30 years so there are things I have forgotten (or never knew in the first place) I am happy to be corrected and happy to discuss the build as I go along. If this build thread encourages someone to have a go at scratch building their own boat or helps someone out with a new technique I will be really pleased.

With a fair wind I will be covering making all the fittings, chrome plating and eventually programming the transmitter to allow scale sail control, loose footed genoa (Auto tacking, trimmable and backing functions) and Gaff trimming for upwind/downwind sailing. The Radio work is all done and ready to install but I don't have a boat to fit it into.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:12 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Marking out

I am not happy that I have got the Garboards right at the front end, the natural line results in a bit of a pointy stick which would be impossible to nail.

Each Station and the Stem is divided up ifor the 12 planks, I don't know if schools explain what Dividers are or how to use them these days but here is how I have paced out the stations. I have used a Pair of compasses to make the whole photo more visible, Divider points don't show up too well. At this scale a compass lead is way too inaccurate 12 X .5mm lead thickeness is an error of 6 mm.

I am hoping to get some feedback on the Garboard later today. Number 8 is out of the water at the moment and I have sent Father to crawl up the front end and get a photgraph. Such delays mean I will keep my build notes up to date. Also in the meantime I have been dividing up the stations to give starting measurements for the planks.
Last edited by Robert May; Nov 20, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
The garboards on No25 stradle the waterline on the stem. I will post a photo once it arrives (Dad hasn't got email so will wait for a CD in the post) I can re make the Garboards now
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:57 PM
Sailing enthusiast
New Bedford, MA.
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
I like how you go in depth showing how you handle all the details. I hope you don't glass this boat
Sea Devil is offline Find More Posts by Sea Devil
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:36 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,151 Posts
Wow, this should be a great project! this boat really has some nice lines!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:38 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you for the compliments Gents, I was going to epoxy the hull just so I can take a mould. One design racing won't be much fun if there is only one boat.

If you ever get the chance to visit the Norfolk Broads they are home to several other OD classes, The Yare and Bure ( White Boat) is very similar to the Waveney in size and design. There is always keen racing in regatta mixed keels races between the two classes and the head to head Match racing is a joy. The Broads One Design (Brown boat) is the real Queen, just beautiful, the Rebel is another beautiful boat. Regatta season on the Broads is just heaven for those that love classic boats and the racing is as competive as any I've seen.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
... I was going to epoxy the hull just so I can take a mould...
Is this hull going to just be a plug or is it going to be both a model and a plug? Lot of hard work going into it if it is just going to be a plug.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:30 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
With luck and a strong nerve it is going to be both. It doesn't seem to take much for a plug to stick in a mould so I might carve and glass a seperate foam plug to make the mould.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:43 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
With luck and a strong nerve it is going to be both...
I know the feeling-

Lots of wax, PVA and some planning and you'll have both.