HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:09 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
Discussion
how can you tell if you prop is cavatating?

is there any type of sound to it?
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:19 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
It will make an awful sound. The 8x4 GWS sounds like Chewbacca yelling. I think the blades are actually flattening out, GWS are notorious for this and RPMs should not exceed the rated limit.

Do you mean its not biting the air or its flattening out? What prop?
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
The secret is, no prop or airscrew "cavitates". They can stall though

One person theorized that the stalled sound was the prop-tips vibrating do to the high pressure as the tips approach the speed of sound. It'll make an insanely low nose, and make a loud "whoosh"ing nose as the prop attempts to bite the air.
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:30 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
no awful sound... I converted this glider wing to power but beefed it up WAY too much.... was underpowered at about 40 oz with a suppo 2217-6... so I added another one I am hoping the twin will fly but it will weigh about 3 lbs. when balanced when ready. running an apc 7x5(e or sport...cant remember offhand) on em and I think that it will have enough power...though I won't be catching it on landings anymore at triple the wing loading you guys think this old dog will fly ? it is a boomerang conversion. frank cavazos design.. I think he XE combat wings are similar and they used to sell his stuff.. a friend of mine has the XE and the foil looks pretty similar. hoping to fly it in about two weeks as it is almost ready... thoughts are appreciated and wish me luck
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon