HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Discussion
Could Use some help

I am looking for a foam that may not exist but if it does and you know where I can find it please let me know. I would love to get some foam very much like the $$Tree foam board stuff but 1" thick. I have considered laminating 4-5 sheets but that is a great deal of work. If you can help please do.

TB
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:11 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,349 Posts
yep you can go to Home Depot and get the pink owens corning tongue and groove foam in 1"x4'x8' sheets
they also have it in 1/2" and 3/4" 2" thickness also
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:12 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Thanks, I am really hoping to find something in white but not the bead stuff. I believe I am sunk.

TB
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:28 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,349 Posts
the spirit of defeat is demonic warfare

what diffrence does the color make if I can ask?
the pink foam is really good for building planes with and it can be painted any color you desire.

you could also go to RC foam and see what they might have but will be more expensive than the Owens Corning you can get from Home Depot
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:51 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Craft stores carry foam with white and colored paper. It's the same as the elmers/dollartree stuff.

Comes in several thicknesses. 1/8 thru 1/2

Don't even think about looking at the bottom of this page at the foamwerks cutters!!!!

http://www.artstuff.net/elmers-white...foam-board.htm
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Last edited by DRITCH; Nov 19, 2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Found the link
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:23 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
From the "bead" comment, I think you want extruded polystyrene. I have seen 1/2" and 1" sheets at Lowes but in reports from other people, I believe it may not be in every store. Worth a look. In general, sheet products will be extruded which has much smaller beads and is more structural than expanded PS. You see expanded in molded products like beer coolers.

Laminating isn't all that hard, by the way. Get some spray adhesive. I've used 3M 77 successfully and have seen reports that the cheaper stuff that HD carries also works [edit: memory jogged - it's called Duro and is about 1/3 the price]. Just be careful with it as too much will eat the foam. Don't let it pool up. Slap the layers together and weight them - I use a board on top and workout weights on that. You can start cutting in an hour or two. I think it takes about a day to fully cure. You can hotwire laminated foam.

On the color point - if you don't want to paint it, white is definitely preferable to pink. Heck, blue is preferable to pink.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Last edited by philba; Nov 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:27 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRITCH View Post
Craft stores carry foam with white and colored paper. It's the same as the elmers/dollartree stuff.

Comes in several thicknesses. 1/8 thru 1/2

Don't even think about looking at the bottom of this page at the foamwerks cutters!!!!

http://www.artstuff.net/elmers-white...foam-board.htm
Have you used those cutters on FFF or similar? I can cut a pretty good bevel with a straight edge but am always looking for perfection (or at least better).
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:37 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
On the color point - if you don't want to paint it, white is definitely preferable to pink. Heck, blue is preferable to pink.
Ya but it sure shows up in the air good

with the dollar tree foam with paper peeled off six sheets stacked together is exactly one inch thick FYI. That is six bucks for a 1"x20"x30" piece of foam.

you could also do a web search for expanded poly styrene
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:59 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
Ya but it sure shows up in the air good
Heh heh, but I don't want to make a sexual orientation statement with my plane. Not that there's anything wrong with it!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
I have a sample coming from a company I found on line. I am hopeful it will prove to be the ticket. I did laminate 5 sheets of peeled foam board today and it worked. my foam cutter doesn't like it as well as the stuff I have been cutting. The cut was not as clean and it had some trouble tracking the template.

The other sad thing was it really seemed like I would not gain any performance for the increase in effort. I guess my airbrush will get to keep it's job.

tb
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:14 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
As the guy up higher said, you can paint the pink any other color.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn