SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:52 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Robbins View Post
It feels comfy to me. I've had no problems.

Do you guys tape a streamer to the end of the 2.4 antenna, or have you fixed a dowel rod to the back?

Look here....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156791
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:45 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I was watching the youtube videos on this Tx and I was wondering does that midline ridge get in the way of holding it when throwing?

It seems to stick up a bit. Does it leave a dent or bruise after a full day of flying?

I wonder why they didn't make it flat. It could be flatter than what the videos show. Remember, video adds ten pounds !!
You wouldn't happen to be going to the WRAM show, would you?

If so I'd be glad to bring my TX and let you play with it, and see how you like it.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:17 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,098 Posts
YES!!!!!!!!!!! I AM!

I was hoping Airtronics was going to be there so I could 'give it a spin'!

If it is not too much trouble, could you bring a fast servo and Rx so I can see first hand how fast it is?

thanks

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
For anyone coming out to the SWC in Phoenix this weekend, nearly all of Team Airtronics will be attending. You can pick our brains about the Tx for use in any kind of aircraft, J,B,K... I'll have mine, as well as my Salpeter so you can see how it fits (the 10 channel FHSS-3 receiver) in tiny fuselages. I will be there from Sunrise tomorrow till the end of the contest on Sunday.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:25 PM
Practice Makes Precision
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
YES!!!!!!!!!!! I AM!

I was hoping Airtronics was going to be there so I could 'give it a spin'!

If it is not too much trouble, could you bring a fast servo and Rx so I can see first hand how fast it is?

thanks

Frank
I don't have any of the 10ch FHSS-3 receivers. I traded mine for two of the 8ch FHSS-1 receivers. If you would still like to see one of the 8ch ones go I'll bring that and a DS285.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
Someone needs to show you a FHSS-3 and a 290G, talk about speed , not that it matters all that much, but it is cool.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:31 PM
Practice Makes Precision
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
Someone needs to show you a FHSS-3 and a 290G, talk about speed , not that it matters all that much, but it is cool.
I had used the 10ch in my Spirit 2m when I first got it, and decided it was just too fast for my needs.

I'm really happy with the FHSS-1 gear though. It's plenty fast, and I've had zero range issues, or glitching problems. Between my RDS8000 and my SD-10G Airtronics has been 100% perfect in my experience.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 02:04 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,098 Posts
Do I still have my 290 out of a heli......
Old Feb 17, 2010, 02:22 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster View Post
I had used the 10ch in my Spirit 2m when I first got it, and decided it was just too fast for my needs.

I'm really happy with the FHSS-1 gear though. It's plenty fast, and I've had zero range issues, or glitching problems. Between my RDS8000 and my SD-10G Airtronics has been 100% perfect in my experience.
I couldn't agree more. There is no better example of overkill using a 10 ch. FHSS-3 receiver and an SD-10G transmitter for a Spirit 2m.

I have only heard fantastic things about the FHSS-1 stuff, but I only have experience with the FHSS-3. I just made the switch to the SD-10G less than 2 weeks ago, and I only have outfitted my F3X planes with gear. I used the 10 channel in everything, even the DLG. My DLG is a bit expensive and hard to replace so I didn't skimp. I don't actually know if the FHSS-3 is any safer, it was just a piece of mind thing. As far as I know, FHSS-3 is only faster and has the low power fail safe features......
Old Feb 17, 2010, 02:33 PM
Practice Makes Precision
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I couldn't agree more. There is no better example of overkill using a 10 ch. FHSS-3 receiver and an SD-10G transmitter for a Spirit 2m.

I have only heard fantastic things about the FHSS-1 stuff, but I only have experience with the FHSS-3. I just made the switch to the SD-10G less than 2 weeks ago, and I only have outfitted my F3X planes with gear. I used the 10 channel in everything, even the DLG. My DLG is a bit expensive and hard to replace so I didn't skimp. I don't actually know if the FHSS-3 is any safer, it was just a piece of mind thing. As far as I know, FHSS-3 is only faster and has the low power fail safe features......
I've been fine with FHSS-1 on my DLG. Just whiskered the antennas out of the pod (CF/Kevlar mix), and never had any problems.

From what I've read around the forums the FHSS-3 has more range as well, but I'm not sure if that's 100% true.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:39 PM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
I have been flying with the FHSS-3 for about three months now and the only problem I've had is carelessly breaking my tailfeathers on a very unforgiving doorjamb when I got home. I don't think it had anything to do with the radio gear. :0)
Noel Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Noel Robbins
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:42 PM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
Thanks guys for the info on streamer rod hookups.
Noel Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Noel Robbins
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:00 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,098 Posts
Well I finally got to see the Airtronics Tx. Really nice.

I was aftaid that it was too shiny - no problem there at all. Very classy. Super finish and no glare off it I could tell.

The ridge that splits the sticks from the screen is a bit of a problem for me. When I grabbed it and tried to shake it like I was going to do a spin, it was somewhat uncomfortable for me since that ridge hit me in the fat part of my thumb. the caseback was a little smooth too so although it was nicely contoured, I do not think doing a full pedal spin with my sweaty hands was thought about directly in its design. Obviously some stick on tacky tape or something would cure this. the midline bump is a little bothersome and might be an issue for me after a full day's dlg flying.

My hand measures about 7.5" from the base of my palm to the top of my fingers. What really bothers me was the pure size of this Tx. This thing, for me, is THICK! In the youtube video, they show a guy who can move his thumbs down onto the trims with ease. For me, I am a little far form them. The advantage of their location is not benefitted by guys like me.

Being thick, I could not really hold the Tx and operate the ruder at the same time like I can with my XP9303. I did try to hold the Aurora 9 and it was much easier to hold and manipulate the left stick during a launch. It too was thinner than the SD-10G.

I ran into another pilot who had some info about range testing a SD-10G using an Aegea Mantis with a Pretty fuse (Terry fuse). He felt that with the Rx in the kevlar nose, it was too easy to block the signal with either the carbon tailboom or the wings (for those not familiar with this plane, it is similar to the Aegea/Supra that Mark Drela designed. it has a braided carbon boom, back half of the fuse under to pod is kevlar reinforced with carbon up front. The wings are made with 80/20 unicarbon - carbon with s glass in the short direction). I have two of them. It is possible that all possible antenna configurations were not tried but I doubt that. These guys are rather seasoned pilots so I would trust they really knew what they were doing and have been in the hobby for a while. Knowing that I might have an issue with my two 3M planes was disheartening.

I may be forced to use Spektrum since it allows multiple 'receivers' with multiple sets of antenna to possibly circumvent this issue.

This really disappointed me. I was all set to have the SD-10G be my next Tx. I may have to wait for the next version and hope that it is thinner.

Would someone post the dimensions of the Tx so it might help other decide if it would work for them?

Frank

This really bummed me out!!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:03 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,688 Posts
Frank

My set up with the FHSS1 7 channel reciever in a high RF arena at the Florida contest with an all Carbon sailplane and a kevlar nose had Zero Nada nothing Zilch for holds lockouts. Now mine has a carbon boom carbon wing full span 2 pieces of carbon running up the sides of the fuse and the antennas are internal just clear of the carbon.

I really dont know what you want to hear but NO HOLDS NO GLITCHES NO BROWN OUTS. In a full carbon plane

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,098 Posts
Jeff,

I think the issue the mantis has is it also has carbon on the sides of the pod.

The antenna were located internally.