HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
BTW, the memory card in starts on page 57 of the manual.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751750.asp
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:11 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
7,809 Posts
I have just read this post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=204

the author had a lockout using an Airtronics and with a spektrum based radio.

just FYI to you guys.

I think, there are going to be flying sites like this one which may not be bad equipment rather it is local interference on a big scale that causes us problems.

just wanted to pass on information....

What can we, as pilots, do to get the cause for interference or whatever is shooting down planes rectified on 2.4?
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
Be careful forming opinions based on one person’s experience. I do know that the 10 channel receiver which fits in my Sal peter (it is really tiny) uses a different technology (FHSS-3) than the lesser receivers (FHSS-1). This may help in those poor environments. BTW, the early 6100 had brown out issues which made them lockout kings. The Airtronics receivers work on a much lower voltage making brownout issues a non concern. It also requires/binds instantly like the Futaba system.

But that doesn't mean that there are not RF environments that will put down any 2.4 system. It was the same for 72 MHz there used to be numerous reports every year of 72 MHz loosing range at Visalia due to the cell towers...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:39 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,809 Posts
I had heard that this radio has a low voltage feature which would alter the throttle to indicate the Rx voltage it low.

How is this setup?

Can it be set for NiMH vs LiPOs?

Since sailplanes do not have a motor, can it be programmed to a different channel or how does it work in glider mode?

This radio is starting to really grow on me. After hearing about the latency being worse than my XP9303 with a Spektrum module on the Aurora 9, I think this radio might be in my future.

Good luck ATX! Looks like a winner!

Frank
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:44 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
hmmmm, I have seen this in the menus, but haven't used it. If I were not at work, I would look it up in the manual.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751750.asp
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:09 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,809 Posts
In the system section of the manual they talk about battery failsafe and only refer to the throttle being actuated in 1 minute intervals and a LED being activated (blink).

Too bad they couldn't have the output programmed to a user specified channel along with throws.

This is unfortunate. Otherwise the manual looks real easy to use. I really like the quick selection of the three planes. Might come in handy when flying F3K.

Maybe someone could pass on the needs of us glider guiders for this function.

I did not see it in the glider section but I could have missed it too. So far it looks to be hard wired to the throttle.

Frank

I hope my previous post wanted too harsh. I was not looking to bad mouth but rather try to see what we as modelers could do and how can we get help when this occurs. Sorry if my direction/intent was misdirected.

Dave, Love you in Handlaunch master class. You can time for me anytime!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:49 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
Ahhh, you can select the voltage you want this to happen at. It also only works with FHSS-3 receivers, so right now you need the 10 channel receivers for this option. They fit in all the small DLGs anyway. The issue I see is redefining it so it works to rudder servo. I haven't tried to figure it out yet.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:02 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,809 Posts
Would you have to waste a mix to get the throttle mixed to rudder to do this and also, if you define the 'throttle' stick as the flap stick, does it still act on the throttle functionality?

Or when I am in sailplane mode, I am actually down one channel since we do not use a throttle?

As you can see I am all messed up . I am so used to mixing my throttle to flaps in my old radio. I would assume that the stick has been re-functioned to be a flap stick and that there is no 'throttle' input.

Let's say, I have a motorized glider. With what is recommended to control the throttle? Is the flap stick , in launch mode, assigned to throttle duty and when I go into one of the other modes, it is re-functioned to be for flaps?

If you are in a LMR contest, it could during you thermal flight, turn on causing you to lose flightime the way it is programmed. But then again, better that than losing the plane!

Too bad we couldn't hook up an external LED or strobe so we can see it at a distance !

Frank
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
I am not sure, what would work, but I will figure it out. It would be a really nice feature to get working with any Sailplane.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
479 Posts
I'm with Frank, this radio is starting to grow on me. I may have to make the jump. My only wishes though, are similar to what a few others have stated, it'd be nice if there were some smaller (read less expensive) FHSS-3 receivers. Also, $50 for a 128K memory module? Would have been nice if they just used an SD slot. In a recent local ad, $23 for a 16GB SD card, could hold about 625,000 model setups !

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
670 Posts
Ya, the memory card thing is out of order. Using an SD card is a very neat feature of the new Futaba 8FG. Industry standard memory cards are so cheap!

I have a question about changing models on the TX... I presume you have to configure it transmit in FSSH1 or 3 mode. Can you do this separately for each model or is it done once for all models? What I'm getting at is can you use the 3 quick model change buttons if you are using FSSH3 RX in one model and an Fssh1 rx in another? Or do you have to change the transmit mode as well?

Thanks,

M
MikeHLG is online now Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2003
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG View Post
Ya, the memory card thing is out of order. Using an SD card is a very neat feature of the new Futaba 8FG. Industry standard memory cards are so cheap!

I have a question about changing models on the TX... I presume you have to configure it transmit in FSSH1 or 3 mode. Can you do this separately for each model or is it done once for all models? What I'm getting at is can you use the 3 quick model change buttons if you are using FSSH3 RX in one model and an Fssh1 rx in another? Or do you have to change the transmit mode as well?

Thanks,

M
Each model is seperate
cfii241 is offline Find More Posts by cfii241
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:50 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,809 Posts
I was watching the youtube videos on this Tx and I was wondering does that midline ridge get in the way of holding it when throwing?

It seems to stick up a bit. Does it leave a dent or bruise after a full day of flying?

I wonder why they didn't make it flat. It could be flatter than what the videos show. Remember, video adds ten pounds !!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:53 AM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
It feels comfy to me. I've had no problems.

Do you guys tape a streamer to the end of the 2.4 antenna, or have you fixed a dowel rod to the back?
Noel Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Noel Robbins
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Robbins View Post
It feels comfy to me. I've had no problems.

or have you fixed a dowel rod to the back?
Yep, I glue an aluminum tube to the back in order to hold a fiberglass or rod. I squeeze the tube a little to make the rod fit in tight before I glue it to the back of the Tx.