HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:21 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I don;t know. I doubt it. you can see the difference on the ground with how fast your servos move. I use fast servos.

I know I could feel it for flying slope and B... It isn't a reason to upgrade or anything, but it was cool.
I've noticed I feel more connected with the plane. Especially with my DLGs.

This IMO helps me thermal better. It's hard to explain. But I love the extra speed.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:07 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,132 Posts
Over this past summer I was looking for a DLG radio too and I almost bought one of these. It was close. But I ended up with something else.

In the limited research I did the SD-10 boasted incredible speed from stick input to servo movement. Numbers I do not doubt.

For helis, it would be most noticeable, though I would think it also for F3B and maybe a fast launch in F3J. I can't say if it is noticeable with the DLG's or not unless you were flying a TX that was a dog to begin with (I won't mention any names).

But you need to put this latency speed into perspective. From the moment your brain ackowledges the need to make an adjustment to the actual movement of your thumbs to move the sticks to actuate the servo to move the surface into correct position... well, lets just say the TX is not going to be the weakest link .

One of the best improvements you can make is to use high speed digital servos. With the 10 ch FSSS-3, it is recommended to use digital servos. The analog ones, I don't know if any, are fast enough to keep up with that RX in all situations.

If the claims of transmission speed are true, the SD-10 @ avg 10-11ms? would be the fastest guy out there. So, all else being equal I'd take a faster radio anyday, unlike some who'll claim they are fine with a 20year old TX .

Just to give an idea on response time, verified testing:

JR 9303 avg is about 40-50ms depending on the rx you use.
Human avg reaction time is 200-300ms depending mostly on age.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/index.php

More data to clutter up the mind.
T
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:53 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Thx, Tuan.

There are times that the nerve pulse takes 1 or 2 full second from my brain to those dumb thumbs :-) And I can't blame radio, even 72 mHz one.

I wish Airtronics offers Fhss3 with less channels (4 or 6,) not because of speed, it is the liability that I am looking after. So it would be cheaper...
Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:13 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,634 Posts
Tai

I have been flying one now for about 3 months. The 10 channel FHSS3 is similar in size to the 7 and 6 channel reciever. Its small compared to others. I also have been flying the 7 channel and 6 channel FHSS1 in my DLG. I have had zero lockouts or glitches of any kind. This is in a crowded area too. I even flew at the Chandler Bowl in Arizona where the guys were having problems with some 2.4 equipment. Im running Lipos in all my setup and have seen this work great with all the planes I have converted to Air. A123 is another option for the larger planes.

The FHSS3 7-6 channel will be out soon. Not sure when as we are all waiting

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:05 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Thx, Jeff.

7 ch fhss3 soon? This whould be worth the wait. The 5 ch rec looks good for DLG also.

Do you carrie back up Transmitter to the contest?
This question is for all.
Tai
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:20 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,175 Posts
No I do not have a backup. I would hope a friend could share his for the contest. I just started backing up to laptop. But if I change from 9303 to SD-10G then I will be vulnerable again to a Tx failure. Unless there are Airtronics Team members there that have an extra to share.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:28 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
Steve, the SD-10G uses a memory card, so we can share back and forth. You can also back up to you CPU, so once you get your planes setup, you are in the same boat. If you have an issue, grab a buddy with a SD-10G (I'll always offer mine) and you are good to go. the nice thing about 2.4 is that it doesn't need to be impounded making this all easier.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:30 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
that is one of advantage of Sd-10g: a lot of contest pilots using it. Don't know about sharing the tx itself :-), but sharing program for sure.
Tai
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:33 AM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
... If you have an issue, grab a buddy with a SD-10G (I'll always offer mine) and you are good to go.
"Good-to-go" after a re-bind, so it'd be good to make sure your receiver is accessible, and not permanently stowed somewhere hidden away.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:13 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,175 Posts
DK showed me that tip. I ordered small aileron extensions.
How does Airtronics bind?
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:53 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
The Airtronics has a small button on the receiver, so you have to be able to access it, or have it oriented so you can use a small carbon rod to push it.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
479 Posts
Do you need to buy a special cable to backup the files to a computer? Or can you just use a card reader? What type of cards are they? Is there software that lets you manipulate the files on the computer like the JR's have?

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:16 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR-Steve View Post
No I do not have a backup. I would hope a friend could share his for the contest. I just started backing up to laptop. But if I change from 9303 to SD-10G then I will be vulnerable again to a Tx failure. Unless there are Airtronics Team members there that have an extra to share.
Hey Steve, the easiest thing to do is buy a memory card for the 10G and back up your programs on that. If you every have a tranny go out on you, you simply take out the card, and plug it into the one you borrow, and load that program and boom, you are back to your set up with the only difference being spring tension and stick length assuming no other switches were moved around....The system is very user friendly like that. There is no card initialization or anything, just plug it in, go to select model, scroll down and select, and poof, done. You can get the cord too, and back up your info on a computer, but the card makes using a backed up program very easy, and painless.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:22 AM
So. Cal. Glider
Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2007
134 Posts
Tuan... What radio did you get for DLG?
Thanks
rcandgolf
rcandgolf is offline Find More Posts by rcandgolf
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandgolf View Post
Tuan... What radio did you get for DLG?
Thanks
rcandgolf
Rc, the reason for me to look for a radio specifically for DLG was to have a lighter, more conforatable gripping radio than I have now and more importantly to have the momentary switch on the left hand side on a dedicated radio.

I was standing at the HobbyPeople counter, SD-10 in hand, swinging it and debating, running through the pros and cons. In the end, I ended up with another radio of the same make/model as I use for my reg planes.

I found a good deal on a barely used Futaba 14MZ. I am familiar with the programming and I have receivers already so it wasn't too hard a choice.

A little on the heavy side, but the rubber "bumps" on the back help with the grip. I'll try some lizard skin gloves next. Plus the feel of the gimbals...it's so smooth.

Are u flying out at Fairview? A member of HSS? I need to renew there and get permit. Just so busy...
Best,
Tuan
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard