HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:10 PM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
Thanks for all the advice ya'll. I am now heavily leaning towards using this radio. Thanks!
Noel Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Noel Robbins
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:59 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
How much does the 10ch receiver weigh without the case?

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:05 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Mike Smith told me that the 10ch receiver without the case weighed less than the 7/8 ch receiver with the case. Somewhere on the order of 6 grams.
djklein21 is online now Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:52 PM
A witty saying proves nothing.
Joined Jan 2007
3,569 Posts
I posted this in Noel's Hitec thread, and I think he wanted me to cross post here. I'll add some links to the reports on the Assan stuff, so it isn't identical:

If you must have 2.4 right now, but don't want to spend a fortune before the dust settles on the various systems, there is always the Assan module with 2 Rx for $85. Rx are $20 to $28 ea, and are quite small (8g and less with the case). The Rx come with various length antennas. If you have a module Tx already, it is a real easy, low cost alternative.

It seems to work quite well, although I'm sure there will be comments about cheap radios in expensive planes. Seems some expensive radios in expensive planes aren't fairing all that well either.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...W/_Module_&_RX

Kevin

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723343

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/assanv2review.shtml

Assan has been actively posting on RCGroups, fixing problems, and listening to input on their system, unlike the other Chinese systems.
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:46 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
Mike Smith told me that the 10ch receiver without the case weighed less than the 7/8 ch receiver with the case. Somewhere on the order of 6 grams.
Just checked and the 10ch rx is 8 grams exaclty without the case. Very light. If you nees less weight in the nose than that, remember with Airtronics you can run on a single cell lipo which I do in 5 of my DLGs with no problem.

It works great for DLG. Regarding the launch preset switch, I took it one step further and added a push button on the back of the TX.

Having 5 flight modes available on the 10G is great. Naturally the first 4 you'll use for launch, cruise, thermal, and land. I have the 5th set up as a "come home from down wind" mode. On the Drela foiled planes, I have the camber set between launch (reflex) and cruise in this mode or about 1mm down. I think the high speed legs are better at this setting than in either reflex or cruise. I also have the throws way detuned in this "come home" mode becouse when you are a speck out there trying to run home fast, it is way too easy to upset your fight path with a little stick input and lose your speed and heading.

Yes, the 10G is a great radio for DLG and more.
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:30 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,667 Posts
Bob

I have a very tight fuse on my DLG. Is this reciever comparable to the 6250? Im thinking of using one in my Salonit. The size is really my concern

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
843 Posts
10CH size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n View Post
Bob

I have a very tight fuse on my DLG. Is this reciever comparable to the 6250? Im thinking of using one in my Salonit. The size is really my concern

Jeff

Sorry for the poor phone pics, but it will give you the idea. As you can see, the connector block is the only bulky part to really worry about. The reciver itself is very thin.

.503 inch x .937 at the connector block.

2.808 long from the tip of the connector pins to the back of the PC board. Note you need a little more leangth in install for the servo connectors themselves and the antenna exit.

Bob
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:25 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
That 10 channel rx is huge! My seven channel is buried deep in a glider, but here are a couple pics of the case.
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Nov 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
Bob,

I just got my new SD-10G and was fondling and going through the manual and was wondering what the Data port is used for on the 10 ch receiver?

Thanks

Mark
scootertrash340 is offline Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:08 AM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Hey Guys,

We have done a lot of testing with the Airtronics 7 channel in full carbon fuses in our
F3J models using the whisker technique and it is 100% solid. I have had the 7 channel specked out, low down and far out, and with a lot of other 2.4 systems running and it is all solid. There is no reason not to use it in the DLG's.

Airtronics will also be coming out with a full range 6 and full range 5 channel RX which will be super light and perfect for DLG. There will also be some cool new servos for DLG.

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:02 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody303 View Post
Hey Guys,

We have done a lot of testing with the Airtronics 7 channel in full carbon fuses in our
F3J models using the whisker technique and it is 100% solid.
Cody
Hi,

whisker technique? Not really understand your meaning...Can you please ellaborate this and your installation?

Thx
/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:08 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Hi Jonas...

Whiskers means to let the last 20mm of the 2.4 antenna stick out the sides of the carbon fuselage. When two short antennas are sticking out in this manner they look like two little silver whiskers (like a cats whiskers)

On my Concept, I actually installed two small diameter teflon tubes through the leading edge, and through the shear web. When I put the wing on, I can load the antennas into these tubes very easily. This allows the antennas to rest out beyond the carbon D-box leading edge, and receive clear 2.4 signal in almost any orientation. Nothing sticks out in the wind. No whiskers for me....yet.

Cheers,

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:02 PM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
Pics?

Mike,

Would it be possible to get a look at how you installed those antennae tubes? I am new at this and am having a hard time picturing it. Do you have pics possibly?

Thanks,
Noel
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:15 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Robbins View Post
Mike,

Would it be possible to get a look at how you installed those antennae tubes? I am new at this and am having a hard time picturing it. Do you have pics possibly?

Thanks,
Noel
Sure, I will try to get some pics of the install.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
I sure do appreciate it. Once the Airtronics tx gets here I will remove the case from the 10ch rx that comes with it and install it into an Avenger DLG that I bought from a local pilot. The Avenger I bought is several years old with a number of repairs in its past; if I screw up the 2.4GHz install and smash up the plane it will not hurt as bad as one of the finer kits I got coming the first of the new year. By then I hope to have a little building, installing, set-up and flying experience.