HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
As for the other issues of the centerline bump and the thickness are something I do not think I will be able to overcome.

As for the radsio issues, I heard them second hand. For me, if the Tx is uncomfortable, i really do not have a choice.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:13 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
The SD-10g is the very best DLG radio I have ever picked up. But if the radio doesn't fit your hands, it doesn't.

I am sure you will find a radio that works for you well. There has never been more options.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:28 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
Dave you have never seen anyone so disappointed
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:54 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,655 Posts
Frank
If it doesnt fit your hand I do understand. As for the cabon strip. My Salonit is the exact same way as you describe. I just mount the antenna above the carbon strip and the other at a 90 degree angle wrapped up around the inside of the canopy above the carbon strip.

To be quite Frank Frank. Its taken a while to get used to the feel of the radio. But now that I have been flying it I am very comfortable with it.

Im sure you will find something.
Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:36 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Last night I had my 2 identical F3B planes setup next to each other. One had my old X9303 and AR7000 and the other used my new SD-10G and FHSS-3 10 Channel receiver. At first I thought that my JR equipped plane had a low battery. It was night and day how fast the response was. I didn't think that I would be able to tell the difference between the two, but it was very obvious. Whether or not it would make a difference in the air in competition DLG I don't know. I do look forward to feeling the difference on the speed course this weekend.

I wish I had taken some video, but I didn't. I won't have the opportunity to either since I am selling my 9303 at lunch today.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:50 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I wish I had taken some video, but I didn't. I won't have the opportunity to either since I am selling my 9303 at lunch today.
Expensive lunch! Spago?
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old May 05, 2010, 02:54 PM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
128 Posts
Guys,

Is one of the toggle switches on the SD10G spring loaded? If so, is it two or three position, and where is it on the transmitter - a picture would be great. Also, since I'm a lefty, I understand you can get Airtronics to move the switch to the right side - has anyone done this, and can you show me where the new switch location is and how you use it for momentary launch preset?

Clarification: are we talking about moving a black push button switch to a new location?
thermal145 is offline Find More Posts by thermal145
Last edited by thermal145; May 05, 2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 05, 2010, 03:12 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
The momentary switch on the Airtronics SD-10G is located on the top left corner, nearest the face of the transmitter. It is a 3 position, so you get a momentary switch if you either push or pull on it. Very clever actually.

The service department at Airtronics will move it for you, swapping it with any other switch, just ask. Every switch on the transmitter is 3 position.
Old May 05, 2010, 03:22 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
The red circled switch is the spring loaded switch. Each switch position is assigned a number and you assign any function to any number, including flight modes.

bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old May 05, 2010, 05:15 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
I've got the momentary switch on my 10G set up as the launch preset when I pull it toward me and when I push it away it activates the stopwatch function. Pretty cool.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old May 05, 2010, 05:45 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfitz View Post
I've got the momentary switch on my 10G set up as the launch preset when I pull it toward me and when I push it away it activates the stopwatch function. Pretty cool.
ditto
Old May 05, 2010, 10:21 PM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
128 Posts
Thanks fellas - I'm switching over...
thermal145 is offline Find More Posts by thermal145
Old May 06, 2010, 12:17 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,132 Posts
Ok, I got to hold the SD-10G at Poway and I did my personal test on switch locations (that is, don't look at the Tx and try to find all the switches, buttons and knobs, which we all do when we fly).

Have to say...

What the were they smoking when they designed this thing!?!?!?!?!?

IMHO, it is the worst ergonomic design I've seen in a long time. Looks pretty, but man, trying to find every switch, button, knob without looking and not bumping another switch was a nightmare. I have long fingers, and found it difficult to get to everything. I pity the person with short fingers.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old May 06, 2010, 01:21 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
After my 9303, I didn't really like the ergonomics of the 10G at first. Now I love it. Every switch is exactly in the right place. And it is very light, especially with the LiPo upgrade. Wouldn't trade it for any other.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Last edited by danfitz; May 06, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old May 06, 2010, 10:42 AM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Nov 2009
311 Posts
Beginner's Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
Ok, I got to hold the SD-10G at Poway and I did my personal test on switch locations (that is, don't look at the Tx and try to find all the switches, buttons and knobs, which we all do when we fly).

Have to say...

What the were they smoking when they designed this thing!?!?!?!?!?

IMHO, it is the worst ergonomic design I've seen in a long time. Looks pretty, but man, trying to find every switch, button, knob without looking and not bumping another switch was a nightmare. I have long fingers, and found it difficult to get to everything. I pity the person with short fingers.
Guz,

This is the radio I bought back in November when I started the hobby, and as a rote beginner I haven't found any problems at all. Actually it has been a breeze to learn and use.

When flying you are typically only using the two switches for launch and flight modes. If I decide to change the rates of one of my flying surfaces (this radio allows you triple rates not two) or need to trim (the tabs are raised, toothed and easy) or even if I want to change the amount of ailerons to rudder mix, or elevator to camber mix, I can set these up on other switches. After a few months I now know instinctively where the switches are. I love my radio.

Noel R.
Noel Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Noel Robbins