HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:46 PM
USA, NH, East Merrimack
Joined Feb 2006
53 Posts
Discussion
Spectra 2.4 installation question

Hi,

First off, I've installed my Spectra 2.4 in my Optic 6 and have Optima7 RX's in 3 different planes. Electrically, it works awesome. Planes fly great.

BUT, I can't seem to get the antenna mast to mount correctly. When I installed the plastic antenna mast into my Optic 6, I can only get it to loosely 'click' in. It does not screw into the threaded post at the bottom of the antenna hole. Looking at the mast, it seems that the threaded socket is in-set. What am I doing wrong? Just slipping the antenna mast over the threaded post is really too loose for my comfort. FYI, I didn't have to adjust the length of the mast, it was preset for my Optic 6.

Thanks,
Dave
dmajchrzak is offline Find More Posts by dmajchrzak
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Spectra Pro Antenna Mast fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmajchrzak View Post
Hi, First off, I've installed my Spectra 2.4 in my Optic 6 and have Optima7 RX's in 3 different planes. Electrically, it works awesome. Planes fly great. BUT, I can't seem to get the antenna mast to mount correctly. When I installed the plastic antenna mast into my Optic 6, I can only get it to loosely 'click' in. It does not screw into the threaded post at the bottom of the antenna hole. Looking at the mast, it seems that the threaded socket is in-set. What am I doing wrong? Just slipping the antenna mast over the threaded post is really too loose for my comfort. FYI, I didn't have to adjust the length of the mast, it was preset for my Optic 6.
Thanks, Dave
With pre release items (prior to manual) we were advised the antenna mast would be a simple push/pull fit into the Optic and Eclipse. The attached photo shows the "O" ring locking device and existing nut.
However, manufacturers always reserve the right to make improvements along the way and factory may have substituted the existing 10 mm bolt which holds the original Antenna into the Eclipse and Optic with a 15mm bolt for current 2.4Ghz versions. (An easy retro fit or perhaps the "O" ring could be tightened a fraction more). Using as is in both my Eclipse and Optic 6, it is easy to transfer between TX with simple push/pull. Please refer to the bottom of the 2.4Ghz mast extension which fits down into the transmitter. Two small screws hold an adaptor plate onto the bottom. Remove the two screws, an "O" ring will be released and the threaded nut will be exposed at the bottom of the mast extension. this will thread firmly into your Optic (or Eclipse) transmitter, provided the nut (just pressed in) is secured into the base with some contact adhesive or similar.

Later:
Spectra Pro Antenna Mast DIY Remote TX Mounting for 2.4GHz Antenna (Dual Std & 2.4) - pictorial

Spectra Pro Antenna Mast - Single Mount For Multiple Antennas On Optic 6 etc pictorial on alternate fittings.

Aurora 9 - Dual Frequency - DIY easy fit/remove 2.4Ghz Antenna holder. Photos and details for DIY plastic support which mounts on whip antenna.

23Nov10.
Aurora A9 & Buddy/Slave - Easy Link Method to Same Plane Either Standard or Promo AFHSS 2.4Ghz modules can be swapped between Teacher/Student TX to avoid need for re-linking. (Aurora, Eclipse, Optic 6, Prism 7X and Futaba as listed) with pictures of modules.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Jul 23, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add .jpg of full mast assembly.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,574 Posts
Ok, so what's the adapter, 2 screws, and o-ring for??

Further and mentioned elsewhere. The NUT is wrong for 9C but may be fine for Hitec. Also pulled out as I didn't see the glue required. If you meant change the bolt, I have no intention of modifying even the slightest regarding the TX. When it is said it works in a 9C I expect it to work unless there is a qualifier.
You know I'm almost certain to buy an Aurora soon but almost $500 and I need to glue something in a TX part!!??
Spektrum is no better since the original module mast and replacement cracked at the base to release their threaded part, so I ca'ed them.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Last edited by 4*60; Nov 19, 2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Ok, so what's the adapter, 2 screws, and o-ring for??
To quick, please refer to amended original post with better explanation and photo.
regards
Alan.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:13 AM
USA, NH, East Merrimack
Joined Feb 2006
53 Posts
A.T. Great info. Thank.
dmajchrzak is offline Find More Posts by dmajchrzak
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:53 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Hitec AFHSS Spectra 2.4Ghz Module - Antenna Mast fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Ok, so what's the adapter, 2 screws, and o-ring for?? Further and mentioned elsewhere. The NUT is wrong for 9C but may be fine for Hitec. <snip>.
Mast screws firmly down into the Aurora.
As mentioned previously, the "O" ring device is a simple locking device for multiple fittings. Allows mast to be used in other TX with different size/threaded bolts,(Futaba use two different size threads) the ring grabbing onto the antenna holding bolt in a similar manner to many hose fittings. Provides rapid easy change of antenna/module for the many who will continue to use old rx for some time.
The mast used as provided, with just the "O" ring engaged, is well braced within TX and has no effect on actual transmission, is secure and will not fall out.
Antenna Mount - suggested alternative fitting.
Regards
Alan.

Post Script:
Spectra Pro 2.4Ghz is also compatible with other Module Type Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module shape/size/pin slots. e.g.:
5UAF, 5UAP
7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS
(8FGA, 8FGH as non-module radios can not be accomodated).
9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS
10CH, 10CA
(10CAG or 10CHG as non-module radios can not be accomodated).
Last edited by A.T.; Sep 06, 2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: add Title.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 03:25 AM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,574 Posts
Trust Futaba and I get the "different" size.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60