HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:24 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Discussion
Let the rationing begin

The govt is now saying women in their 40's no longer need a mamogram to check for breast cancer and women in their 50's only need it every two years. Nevermind the fact that 17% of all breast cancers are diagnosed on women in the 40's and 22% are diagnosed in their 50's.

Cancer organizations are fighting this and completely disagree.

The only reason the government would come up with a reccomendation like this is to cut costs. Nothing else really makes sense. My wife gets one and doesn't like it but would rather be tested then to find out later she has a late stage cancer when it is to late.

I know this is only one thing but I can see the govt coming out with many things like this to drive what can be tested and when. This is how rationing starts. Look for any public option to not include breast exams for women in their 40's. I guess treating the cases of cancer will be less expensive than breast exams for all women.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:26 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Is there a volunteer program. I got some free time in the evenings and on rainy weekends
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Is there a volunteer program. I got some free time in the evenings and on rainy weekends
shame on ya
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Suspended Account
Right here in the middle of the fly over zone
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Need an assistant bildo?

Ahhhh!
I notice lots of friends making it to the basement lately!
WildManWillie is offline Find More Posts by WildManWillie
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
I would bet that you'd have to examine about 20 pairs of nasty ones before you got to a nice set
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:39 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
I would bet that you'd have to examine about 20 pairs of nasty ones before you got to a nice set

Sometimes you gotta take one for the team you know. I've always been the giving sort
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Yep.
Kind of like cheap smokes for the military vets long sold (and still sold) in the PX.
Saves a ton of money in the long run as the retired ones kick off early.
Early detection of breast cancer leads to longer (and more expensive) lives of the survivors. Later detection leads to a shorter duration prognosis.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:05 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
The govt is now saying women in their 40's no longer need a mamogram to check for breast cancer and women in their 50's only need it every two years. Nevermind the fact that 17% of all breast cancers are diagnosed on women in the 40's and 22% are diagnosed in their 50's.

Cancer organizations are fighting this and completely disagree.

The only reason the government would come up with a reccomendation like this is to cut costs. Nothing else really makes sense. My wife gets one and doesn't like it but would rather be tested then to find out later she has a late stage cancer when it is to late.

I know this is only one thing but I can see the govt coming out with many things like this to drive what can be tested and when. This is how rationing starts. Look for any public option to not include breast exams for women in their 40's. I guess treating the cases of cancer will be less expensive than breast exams for all women.
This is how rationing tightens, is more like it, since rationed care is of course already ongoing and unavoidable.

the important fact to note is this...should the State takeover of care occur, directives like this, if enacted into the 'best practices' list mandated by the State, will be unescapable unless you flee the nation. Remember...part of the 'reform' is giving the State total control over what it will allow to be offered in order to be a 'qualified' plan, and you will be forced to get a 'qualified' plan, or pay the penalty.

the State is provably not above rationing at cost of lives, since cutting back on drug varieties, one goal of cost reduction, will harm every person for whom an otherwise little used drug is the only one that works.

We also see this same sort of principle at work when you see discussion of raising the qualification age for SSec, in order to save money. How does it save money? Why, by the number of people who die between the old age and the raised one. If they die before reaching the older age, you never have to pay them, and the 'cost savings' counts on fewer people making it there.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Another aspect of the obama administration bull. Expect more to come.

I have been to countries with socialized medicine. Horrible.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:22 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Heck, it doesn't even need to be raining to count on my support. (pun intended)
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
The govt is now saying women in their 40's no longer need a mamogram to check for breast cancer and women in their 50's only need it every two years.
This recommendation comes from

Quote:
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), first convened by the U.S. Public Health Service in 1984, and since 1998 sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), is the leading independent panel of private-sector experts in prevention and primary care.
Don't you ever get tired from letting the AM radio demagogues manufacture
issues for you to be kept outraged about ?
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:00 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Does no one (other than myself)see the irony in the healthcare reforms being debated ,implemented?The very legislators signing off on these measures are those "citizens" least affected by them.Their health care costs are bourne by their employer...and when the time comes they need that coverage you know very well they will recieve the very best care possible regardless the costs.For healthcare reform to be truly effective then the playing field must be leveled to cover all citizens equally including those in power that are shoving it down our throats involuntarily.From the President of the USA all the way down to the homeless vet.Then and only then will we all get a fair shake .
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Nov 17, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964 View Post

this commission has no links to the State, and is not partisan with respect to care?

all kinds of people style themselves as 'experts'...and your post is very large and loud...and yet not one element of it contradicts the fact of the cost in lives such a move would entail.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:06 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Hmm. .gov website. Being sponsored (paid) by the State... is 'independent' of 'the goverment, Pete?

http://www.ahrq.gov/CLINIC/uspstfix.htm

how could you possibly expect to contradict the correct claim that this is a govt statement by proving that the source IS a govt source?

Is anyone at home in there, Pete, actually paying attention to the content of your posts?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:07 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964 View Post

Haven't listened to a radio all day. Did you get your talking points from a fax or an email?

Do you agree this should be the new standard? Should there be no mamograms for women in their 40's? Should we let those 17% of breast cancer patients get worse and possibly die? I thought we were trying to cure this and not spread it.