Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Discussion
Atom - my 8" span Sopwith Camel

As you may have seen in my blog, I tried a Sopwith Camel a few weeks ago and all didn't go too well.
This time, construction material was to be polystyrene plates and the motors would be taken from their plastic housings. ITC F-22 gear would be used and a 40mAh li-po.
Everything went well and left me with a Camel with these figures -
Wingspan: 8"
Length: 5"
AUW: 0.4oz approx

There is slight undercamber in the wings, the wings themselves ended up with raised ends because of the plate size and the wiring has been left as full length for the motors. Packing tape has been used on the top surfaces of both wings, with a smaller overlap that runs underneath. A rudimentary sanding was made to the top and bottoms of the LE of both wings.

I've just flown it in the livingroom and it's too quick ! 1/4 throttle and some deft direction inputs can keep it aloft for a few seconds, but it might be fun on full power.
It flies balanced, little in the way of high alpha (except the increases in height through speed) and turns well.
I might make it tail heavy and see if that slows it down...or build another, bigger one.

*update* now with landing gear
Also fitted the original 130mAh li-po of the ITC gear, while weight seems to be no issue.

And, just took it out in the backyard...funny stuff watching this zap along. I thought bipes were supposed to fly slowly ? The landing gear can't be tested due to the grass and if taken out to the road i'd probably send it flying into someone's window. I got some interference somewhere at one time and it made a turn on its own, which was disconcerting, but luckily well within the boundary of our garden.

So, it's a sort of Aero Ace/Camel/Estes HyperX type of thing with ZTT lol
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 05:44 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Suggestion, with such light gear, why not build a simple slow flying slow stick but with lots of camber? Like a mono-high wing and good amount of dihedral that would seem most efficient to me... You may not have to mount the motors on the wing directly, perhaps make a small stand for them to like a long imagine this 0____________0 -= long stick and 0=motors. mount that onto the stick. Unless of course your electronics are meant for speed but that would seem best to me long flying and good control.

I'm amazed with what you've done with the same gear! Different builds etc.... watched your videos boy these little planes are fast!

Nice work and keep it up good luck!
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92