SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:42 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode View Post
No problem. I found that mine wanted to behave a little oddly when I got the end points to far away from each other. Not sure why. The thing to remember when making adjustments in your TX for any model is baby steps. Tweak it a little and test then tweak it some more till you get what you are happy with. It is possible to take an ill handeling machine right passed the sweet spot to another form of ill handeling if you make to large of an adjustment. It is just a matter of tuning it in and testing.

Rob...
As fate would have it, I think I got lucky on the first go... I left the rearward endpoint at 50% and the forward at 100% and took it flying this evening. I was amazed at how well behaved she was after that simple change. This was the first time I kept her in the air for an entire 2200mAH battery with only one light bump on the concrete before being in the air again. My only enemy was my still rookie flying status (got a little confused a couple times on the sticks) but no crashes, no wild moves I couldn't correct for, smooth as a baby's butt in general. I even tried a couple of times to get it going in reverse and then stop it and move forward, and so far I really like how it handled. Tomorrow I'll try it again and if whatever weather conditions present themselves and I still like how she's flying, I'll try a little ground skimming FPV at close range.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:48 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
All good news. Always nice to hear things are working for people. This boards simplicity is one of it's strong points but fact is it flies pretty well too. Keep up the flying. Experience helps allot. I actually find it much easier to fly my Tri then any of my Heli's.

I am in the process of rebuilding mine at the moment. My most recent crash has finally resulted in a pretty bad stress crack in my upper center plate. Time for a new one. New design will be in "T" configuration and all wood arms. I was on my last 8mm boom for the Tri anyway and I pretzeled it pretty good in the crash. Nice thing is I can re-use one of the broken arms for the new one since they are shorter. Should be done soon, miss the thing.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:29 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,576 Posts
I think it was not posted here yet, but the kaptein has released a "Improved firmware for the KK multicopter, also the HK KK."
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
I noticed this morning, eager to test it on my friends 330x.

Rob...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
216 Posts
So I crashed my copter pretty hard, and the gyro bard on my KK 5.5 came off.
On the picture it appears there is no contact surface for the board to be soldered back onto. Perhaps the solder ripped it off when it crashed. I tried putting it back on my it didn't really work out.

So I'm wondering if any of you experts know where I could put a tiny wire from each of the connections at the gyro board and solder it onto different spots on my KK board so get it up and running again...?

Thanks for any help!

Picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=111ttub&s=7
Saneless is offline Find More Posts by Saneless
Last edited by Saneless; Jun 21, 2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added pic...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ashford
Joined Jan 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saneless View Post
On the picture it appears there is no contact surface for the board to be soldered back onto. Perhaps the solder ripped it off when it crashed. I tried putting it back on my it didn't really work out.

So I'm wondering if any of you experts know where I could put a tiny wire from each of the connections at the gyro board and solder it onto different spots on my KK board so get it up and running again...?

Thanks for any help!

Picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=111ttub&s=7
Yes you can, I had to do exactly that after mine was damaged in transit. You will have to scratch off the protective layer to reveal the copper track, then use a couple of strands from a wire to make the connection. Take your time though, it's not very easy and very fiddly. After your done and youve verified its working, cover the wires and solder points with some hot glue - this will insulate and add a bit of needed strength to the yaw gyro board. Mines been just fine since I repaired it
Jamiem is offline Find More Posts by Jamiem
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saneless View Post

Thanks for any help!
Here is the board - Red is top, Blue is bottom

Mike

<edit> here
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Last edited by Mike Barton; Jun 21, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: new link
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiem View Post
Yes you can, I had to do exactly that after mine was damaged in transit. You will have to scratch off the protective layer to reveal the copper track, then use a couple of strands from a wire to make the connection. Take your time though, it's not very easy and very fiddly. After your done and youve verified its working, cover the wires and solder points with some hot glue - this will insulate and add a bit of needed strength to the yaw gyro board. Mines been just fine since I repaired it
Cool. So I removed some of the protective layer and this popped up, can you recall from memory if this is exactly it? I'm positive about two, but the one that looks like a hole I am not sure about.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6gixpk&s=7

Edit: So I can see from your blueprint that I found the right connection points, thanks!
Saneless is offline Find More Posts by Saneless
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,576 Posts
I just updated the KKmulticopter Flash Tool to version 0.21. Now the first flashing of the HK boards is possible, because a chip erase is added to the flashing procedure.

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:38 PM
FPV addict
Giske, Norway
Joined Aug 2009
521 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a KK 4.5 board that has a Quad + flying mode on it.
I want to be able to fly it in X mode but do not have programmer to reprogram it.
I've tried moving the direction of the board to X mode, but to no success..
What can I do to use my board in X mode, without re-programming it?

Also, I need to reverse the Roll gyro direction every time I turn on the Quad, anybody know why this is happening?
Is the ATMEL chip not saving the changes?

Thanks

Kristian
KristianS is offline Find More Posts by KristianS
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a KK 4.5 board that has a Quad + flying mode on it.
I want to be able to fly it in X mode but do not have programmer to reprogram it.
I've tried moving the direction of the board to X mode, but to no success..
What can I do to use my board in X mode, without re-programming it?

Also, I need to reverse the Roll gyro direction every time I turn on the Quad, anybody know why this is happening?
Is the ATMEL chip not saving the changes?

Thanks

Kristian
Does your radio allow you to set up elevon mix? Then no change is needed on the KK board and no wiring changes are needed and you can fly with the original KK 4.5 firmware (although the new 4.6 firmware seems much better)

Just set the wing tail mix to Elevon and fly in X (now Northwest and North arm are front).
jorgen is offline Find More Posts by jorgen
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:08 PM
FPV addict
Giske, Norway
Joined Aug 2009
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgen View Post
Does your radio allow you to set up elevon mix? Then no change is needed on the KK board and no wiring changes are needed and you can fly with the original KK 4.5 firmware (although the new 4.6 firmware seems much better)

Just set the wing tail mix to Elevon and fly in X (now Northwest and North arm are front).
Nice!
I've got a Futaba 9C so Yes
So I can then use the + motor config as well then?

Thanks Jorgen!
KristianS is offline Find More Posts by KristianS
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Leave the orientation of the board as normal with the arrow pointing to the front in + mode. You then set up Delta/Elevon mixing in your transmitter to enable X Mode. That's all there is to it.

Rob...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Opps! To slow.

Rob...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:22 PM
FPV addict