HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
making big holes in the sky..
Scandinavia
Joined Aug 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode View Post
Opps! My bad, what can I say. It was late. Your right, no problem removing and replacing the chip with another one flashed with different firmware including the 328 (I only buy these anymore). You will need a way to flash the chip or get one that is pre-flashed but it should work fine.

This is the reason that all of the boards that I have made use the Dip28 package. I like to be able to test different setups buy just popping out the chip. I have 4 chips with different firmwares for my tri-copter.

Rob...
Thanx a million... Im heading right to the elctro-microprocessor-thingamajig-shop tomorrow...

I have a programmer so wish me luck...
bajas is offline Find More Posts by bajas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 03:36 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Tail balance on a tricopter

Hey all,

I just came back from flying my tricopter, had a wicked crash that broke both front arms. It was pretty windy though not say more than 10mph... I was keeping her in a hover against the wind and I accidentally let her go backward a little too strongly. She tipped upward really fast and I couldn't get her to tilt back down before she dug ass first into the ground and flipped over. I've noticed this happen before, though not so severe... She is much more responsive to rearward stick than forward and it's very easy to nose her straight up and then pretty much impossible to recover before losing all my altitude and ending up 50 feet to the rear of my starting position and hitting the ground. I *think* I understand why because there's only one motor in the rear and two up front, so all the power is in lifting that front end and nothing near as much to lift the tail end. What I wonder is, is there a way to cope with this other than A) making a quad out of her, B) just learning to NOT over-stick to the rear, or C) playing with center of gravity or something.

Any ideas? I'm totally new at all this multirotor stuff so I'd appreciate any help. I love the way she flies when she's being docile, but it breaks my heart to see her hit and flip like that.

Thanks!

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Jun 19, 2011, 03:51 PM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Try a Y4 setup?

Mike.
IWCoburg is offline Find More Posts by IWCoburg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:02 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWCoburg View Post
Try a Y4 setup?

Mike.
Maybe.... Also, I just did some goofing around with the "Y-UFO" in RealFlight and I tried two 9x4.7 props on the fronts with a 10x4.7 on the rear and it does really equalize the pitch authority very well. Granted, that's a simulation and probably not a very good one, but maybe it could work in the real world? I'm using 10x4.7's all the way around right now.

Rick NR417
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:36 PM
Russian Federation, MO, Podolsk
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
How to check roll gyro?
When i measure output voltage i see this values:
static position - 1.35V
some tilt to one side - 0.5V
some tilt to other side - 0.5V
i think it is wrong behavior.

another 2 gyro work well, some tilt 1.34v...1.26v
rinatka7 is offline Find More Posts by rinatka7
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:58 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
See my post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=233

KKPlus board fun in the garden (3 min 55 sec)

manuLRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajas View Post
thanx I will try...

And I have alleready ordered two "plus-boards"... soo looking forward to try them out..
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:48 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Hey all,

I just came back from flying my tricopter, had a wicked crash that broke both front arms. It was pretty windy though not say more than 10mph... I was keeping her in a hover against the wind and I accidentally let her go backward a little too strongly. She tipped upward really fast and I couldn't get her to tilt back down before she dug ass first into the ground and flipped over. I've noticed this happen before, though not so severe... She is much more responsive to rearward stick than forward and it's very easy to nose her straight up and then pretty much impossible to recover before losing all my altitude and ending up 50 feet to the rear of my starting position and hitting the ground. I *think* I understand why because there's only one motor in the rear and two up front, so all the power is in lifting that front end and nothing near as much to lift the tail end. What I wonder is, is there a way to cope with this other than A) making a quad out of her, B) just learning to NOT over-stick to the rear, or C) playing with center of gravity or something.

Any ideas? I'm totally new at all this multirotor stuff so I'd appreciate any help. I love the way she flies when she's being docile, but it breaks my heart to see her hit and flip like that.

Thanks!

Rick NR417
I fiddled with the end points for pitch until I got it to be a little more balanced. It still had more rear then front but it was better. I actually kind of like it that way since I fly mostly forward and having a strong rear helps "Put on the brakes" so to speak.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:13 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tychoc View Post
A completely noob question. What's the advantage or differences of using the X configuration on a quad verses the + ?

Thanks,
-tychoc
I would also like to know that
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:09 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
I would also like to know that
its personal...

if for a given command input, all 4 motors contribute to the attitude correction/input, the system reacts better/faster.

Doing a flip where 2 motors increase and the 2 others decrease, is faster than only 1 motor increase and the other decrease...

manuLRK
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:43 AM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode View Post
I fiddled with the end points for pitch until I got it to be a little more balanced. It still had more rear then front but it was better. I actually kind of like it that way since I fly mostly forward and having a strong rear helps "Put on the brakes" so to speak.

Rob...
Thanks Rob, sometime after I posted thought about it a little more deeply and did think mayyybe endpoints could help but I wasn't at all sure. Sounds like just the ticket - if I can get used to it a little and just not have it so snappy to the rear, then I think I'll be happy. Part of it is that I am so new at this, still need time to learn how to fly properly in the first place.

Cool little surprise happened last night while I was pondering possibilities - I discovered that I had a couple of pusher props in my pile of APC 10x4.7's! I don't remember buying them but clearly I did... I'd put two new ones on the front and she wanted to surge to the right no matter what I did (I had her set up with three normal props with motor tilt to compensate for torque spin). I take a look and I'm like noooo wayyyy... an APC pusher on the right front motor! Five mins with a soldering iron later and now she's a "properly" setup tricopter with counter spinning front props. I haven't had a chance to see yet how it impacts stability and efficiency, but I can't help but think that it will be a good improvement both ways.

Ah, very cool! I just tried dropping my rearward pitch endpoint to 50% and leaving forward at 100%... NICE. I haven't flown her properly yet but one thing I thought would happen is that it would throw off the pitch trim, but it doesn't! She still hovers in place nicely. I also held onto the bottom and eased up the throttle while pushing forward and back on the pitch stick and the endpoint thing has dramatic effects on forward vs. rear thrust. I was able to easily make forward MUCH stronger than rear just by dropping the rear pitch endpoint to 30%. Clearly I don't want it THAT biased but it's neat how you can do that and still have the same trim settings, at least on this TX. I'm really happy about this! Thanks again, Rob!

Rick NR417
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
Off Road is the only road
Joined Jun 2011
43 Posts
need help building one

Hello,

I saw this video on youtube and was amazed,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3hXsE0Zvxs
I am new to RC groups and this kind of flying.
i was told to go to RCgroups and look up KK controllers.
this thread is huge and i don't know where to start.
where can i get the info to build one of this like in the video.

Sorry for the noob questions. i just don't know where to start
Ext450 is offline Find More Posts by Ext450
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:59 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
^^ Most of the info is here - http://www.kkmulticopter.com/

Basically get the controller, 4 esc about 20A, 4 motors not more than 1300Kv, some wires, battery and you're golden! :-)

Don't go to fancy with you're first one, you don't want something you feel sorry for inhibiting you're fun..

EDIT: The guy in the vid is using one of these boards - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Last edited by rcimports; Jun 20, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:02 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Thanks Rob, sometime after I posted thought about it a little more deeply and did think mayyybe endpoints could help but I wasn't at all sure. Sounds like just the ticket - if I can get used to it a little and just not have it so snappy to the rear, then I think I'll be happy. Part of it is that I am so new at this, still need time to learn how to fly properly in the first place.

Cool little surprise happened last night while I was pondering possibilities - I discovered that I had a couple of pusher props in my pile of APC 10x4.7's! I don't remember buying them but clearly I did... I'd put two new ones on the front and she wanted to surge to the right no matter what I did (I had her set up with three normal props with motor tilt to compensate for torque spin). I take a look and I'm like noooo wayyyy... an APC pusher on the right front motor! Five mins with a soldering iron later and now she's a "properly" setup tricopter with counter spinning front props. I haven't had a chance to see yet how it impacts stability and efficiency, but I can't help but think that it will be a good improvement both ways.

Ah, very cool! I just tried dropping my rearward pitch endpoint to 50% and leaving forward at 100%... NICE. I haven't flown her properly yet but one thing I thought would happen is that it would throw off the pitch trim, but it doesn't! She still hovers in place nicely. I also held onto the bottom and eased up the throttle while pushing forward and back on the pitch stick and the endpoint thing has dramatic effects on forward vs. rear thrust. I was able to easily make forward MUCH stronger than rear just by dropping the rear pitch endpoint to 30%. Clearly I don't want it THAT biased but it's neat how you can do that and still have the same trim settings, at least on this TX. I'm really happy about this! Thanks again, Rob!

Rick NR417
No problem. I found that mine wanted to behave a little oddly when I got the end points to far away from each other. Not sure why. The thing to remember when making adjustments in your TX for any model is baby steps. Tweak it a little and test then tweak it some more till you get what you are happy with. It is possible to take an ill handeling machine right passed the sweet spot to another form of ill handeling if you make to large of an adjustment. It is just a matter of tuning it in and testing.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
Off Road is the only road
Joined Jun 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
^^ Most of the info is here - http://www.kkmulticopter.com/

Basically get the controller, 4 esc about 20A, 4 motors not more than 1300Kv, some wires, battery and you're golden! :-)

Don't go to fancy with you're first one, you don't want something you feel sorry for inhibiting you're fun..

EDIT: The guy in the vid is using one of these boards - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/
thanks rcimports, i found the form you were talking about for Multiwii. thanks for the info as well. i appreciate it, thanks for not making me feel like an idiot for asking noob questions. Rcgroups seems to be a cool place so far. so much information and lots of nice people.
Ext450 is offline Find More Posts by Ext450
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:29 PM
Multicopter Addict
Southwest Minnesota
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext450 View Post
thanks rcimports, i found the form you were talking about for Multiwii. thanks for the info as well. i appreciate it, thanks for not making me feel like an idiot for asking noob questions. Rcgroups seems to be a cool place so far. so much information and lots of nice people.
We all have to start somewhere. If you don't know just ask, lots of ppl willing to help. Welcome to Rcgroups!!!
braindead4554 is offline Find More Posts by braindead4554