Old May 06, 2010, 06:17 PM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkxgbKFM1-c

The fast backward flipping speed is caused by pitch gyro ADC saturation. The other directions where 'normal'. It is easy to fix, increase the VREF a bit.

that is very impressive, the recovery after flips is very good with no overshooting!
Great job, I'm pretty close to building one board
Where are the lastest files for the PCB one side and the latest software for a quad (or Hexa when it's ready ), are they the ones on post 1?
I find this video this video very interesting, even if stabilization at the end of it is very shaky.
A question though : how do super simple escs compare to let's say Turnigy or TowerPro after the flash, are they faster?

Congrats to Kapteinkuk (tell me it doesn't mean what I think is does ) for his great project, keep the good work,
Bob
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Last edited by bob.titus; May 06, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2010, 06:46 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Bob I can't find the kind of lag that is shown in the video using Turnigy Plush. Perhaps before I got into this there were problems but with the high update rates and new esc I have never experienced any with qp or this one.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Old May 06, 2010, 07:04 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
I saw that - but this is what you wrote:

Motor/servo pin assigmants:
MotorLeft: portb,2
MotorRight: portb,1
MotorTail: portb,0
ServoTail: portd,7

Doesn´t make any sense to me.....but maybe thats just me...
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2010, 07:08 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Bob I can't find the kind of lag that is shown in the video using Turnigy Plush. Perhaps before I got into this there were problems but with the high update rates and new esc I have never experienced any with qp or this one.
I'm using both TGy or TPro with good results on 3 different platforms, and have realized over the time that ESC's update rate is of most importance in conjunction with motor/prop combo.
I find it very interesting to see to what extend different code can speed up an ESC and wonder if this could apply to better ones like the TGP for instance or TPro since they work well but could be faster imho...

Bob
Old May 06, 2010, 07:16 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
I guess my reckoning of sizes by looking at video is a little off.

I just started cutting the parts for the 120cm frame to give it a try first.

Quote:
Thanks

The size is (was ) 78cm. It has been tried on a 100cm size. 180cm or larger should not be a problem. I can not think of any reasons for a upper limit on size.

There is probably a lower limit on size. The smallest I have tried is 20cm

When I have the 5x5cm SMD board, I will try to build a smaller one, less than 20cm.
Old May 06, 2010, 07:37 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
I guess my reckoning of sizes by looking at video is a little off.

I just started cutting the parts for the 120cm frame to give it a try first.
when I first started with multirotors, I had the feeling that larger airframes would be more stable than smaller ones and my first build was just below 80cm MTM...
After many experiments and many hours of flight with different controllers, I went down in size and the machines I found flew the best and were the most stable were the smallest ones (50cm MTM).
I will be very interested to see your results with the 120cm you are starting to build, I sincerely hope you will prove me wrong since bigger means more payload.

Bob
Old May 06, 2010, 07:50 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post

Hi Jussi

Try this-

MotorLeft: portb,2 pin16
MotorRight: portb,1 pin15
MotorTail: portb,0 pin14
ServoTail: portd,7 pin13

All references taken from the schematic

Hope this helps you

Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old May 06, 2010, 07:52 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
I have never had a reason to check into it but that might be because I have been using lightweight frames with smaller props. I have a design worked up that uses 14" props with a 600kv 2.7 kg thrust motor that should lift 25 lbs in quad config and that may show the lag. I might build it to see how the drives respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.titus View Post
I'm using both TGy or TPro with good results on 3 different platforms, and have realized over the time that ESC's update rate is of most importance in conjunction with motor/prop combo.
I find it very interesting to see to what extend different code can speed up an ESC and wonder if this could apply to better ones like the TGP for instance or TPro since they work well but could be faster imho...

Bob
Old May 06, 2010, 08:08 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
I have a design worked up that uses 14" props with a 600kv 2.7 kg thrust motor that should lift 25 lbs in quad config
no offense, but how do you expect to lift 25lb with four motors developping a maximum of less than 6lb each at full thrust
Then, even if you managed to lift this kind of AUW, you should have twice the weight in thrust to be able to fly it safely, so we are talking here 12.5lb per motor (5.7kg)!

Bob
Old May 06, 2010, 08:21 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
I don't think larger is more stable necessarily but definitely the loop is faster which changes the gain and the damping of the loop to minimize oscillations. Then you need to maintain the thrust ratio. All new to me but I am having a good time trying to learn.

Quote:
when I first started with multirotors, I had the feeling that larger airframes would be more stable than smaller ones and my first build was just below 80cm MTM...
After many experiments and many hours of flight with different controllers, I went down in size and the machines I found flew the best and were the most stable were the smallest ones (50cm MTM).
I will be very interested to see your results with the 120cm you are starting to build, I sincerely hope you will prove me wrong since bigger means more payload.

Bob
Old May 06, 2010, 08:36 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Wait Bob, don't post until I get this one in!

The reason is because I try to do the google conversion of us to metric for my european friends and it just gets me into trouble. The motor is estimated to produce over 6 lbs of thrust with a 14" prop on 4s. You are also putting words in my mouth...where did I say I was going to fly it around I said it would lift 25 lbs, but you are correct flying AUW would be about 12 pounds. Actually if everything checked out, octo would be the prefered platform but I am not there yet.

added: I can always put 4 of the 4000W motors on it and charge the neighborhood kids for rides!

Quote:
no offense, but how do you expect to lift 25lb with four motors developping a maximum of less than 6lb each at full thrust
Then, even if you managed to lift this kind of AUW, you should have twice the weight in thrust to be able to fly it safely, so we are talking here 12.5lb per motor (5.7kg)!

Bob
Old May 06, 2010, 08:40 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Wait Bob, don't post until I get this one in!

The reason is because I try to do the google conversion of us to metric for my european friends and it just gets me into trouble. The motor is estimated to produce over 6 lbs of thrust with a 14" prop on 4s. You are also putting words in my mouth...where did I say I was going to fly it around I said it would lift 25 lbs, but you are correct flying AUW would be about 12 pounds. Actually if everything checked out, octo would be the prefered platform but I am not there yet.
Imperial conversions to metric, and vice versa, tell me about it
Sorry about the flying, lifting it was, mea culpa
Good luck with your heavy lifter, I'm all ears.

Bob
Last edited by bob.titus; May 06, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old May 06, 2010, 08:50 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post

M1: left motor
M2: right motor
M3: tail motor
M4: tail servo

kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old May 06, 2010, 09:04 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Quote:
... sorry about the flying, lifting it was
Good luck with it, I'm all ears.

Bob
Well my wife says all I do is talk...I never "do"...so be patient.

Of course she also said I built the four quads faster than anything else I've ever done so who knows.
Old May 06, 2010, 09:11 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
OK - Im gonna need some help here.

My controller seems to work, sort of...loaded the tricopter software....

Trotthle calib works, kinda. But when i switch off controller something happens, and next time I switch it on throttle is not calibrated. I just goes to full throttle at about 10 percent collective.

Also I have no reaction to cyclic or rudder sticks. Only thing that reacts is throttle.....

Gyro reversing seems to work as well. But since i have no reaction to rudder or cyclic inputs i cant check. Also there is no reaction to gyro movements.

What could be wrong here. Am using turnigy plush and ar6100 receiver....
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member