Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:16 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Yes, It is software based.

The Turnigy K-force 40 is the ESC with the fastest response I have tested. It gave full throttle after the first PPM pulse. Having no filtering at all. See attachment.

However, after changing some settings it became slower than the Plush's, and changing the settings back to default did not change the respone back to original.

I will take a closer look at it when I get a new one.

Thanks for the explanation Kaptein! Understand it now. But I'm still wondering why the ESC needs to employ such behaviour?

From the graph you sent, although the time resolution is too course, I see that the first pulse that makes the ESC go high power also has similar width to that of other pulses, so I think it might be a software bug with the ESC that you see power jumps up when the first pulse shows up and then stays low with other pulses.

-Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:26 AM
Lazy RCer
Seoul, S.KOREA
Joined Oct 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Thank you hands-off video. I'm impressed Tricopter application perform same???
Yes, I will begin to build my own T style tricopter with your code!
doorhead is offline Find More Posts by doorhead
Last edited by doorhead; Apr 30, 2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:48 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Kaptein.

Very nice SMD design.....and I like that Atmega88 can be reused - you mean the silver Xmhobbies version of 401b (Gyrd) - I have two of those - and it would be great to reuse parts!

One note though - I think that a perfect square design would work better for a board that sits 45 degrees offset. But I guess it wouldnt be hard to redesign for gyros at right angles, or even put gyros on a separate board. That would also give a wider selection of possible gyros to use...Including the new 3-axis boards and small version of Enc-03R. But great work!

How are you planning to make this board. Will you put it up for production....

Jim, nice to hear the tonertransfer worked out for you..lets see a picture of your board

Jussi
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:16 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,436 Posts
Hi KapteinKUK

Do you recommend any particular size for the frame with this board?

I have one part made (from another project) which is 48cm across from motor shaft to motor shaft, any idea if this would work?

Thanks
Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
379 Posts
hello KapteinKUK your thread is becoming hot day by day
thanks again man

i was thinking about the gyro and servo reversing, instead of making the roll pot to zero , we can add a push button to the board which bypass the pot zero value . so when ever if we want to reverse the gyro just switch the push button and move the stick to which we want to reverse actually , this would be easy. the same thing can be made for throttle range setting , in the case of making yaw pot to zero. it is just an idea , but it will work, tommo im gonna test it
quaddynamics is offline Find More Posts by quaddynamics
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:48 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
I am still not sold on spektrum yet and that is why I bought the DX6i to try out.

Kaptein do you have to run the yaw gain at almost twice the others to get it to lock in? I am using +-.003 gain for the MEMS gyros. Roll and pitch are at 1/4 setting but yaw is at 3/4 setting.
All my yaw pots are about 1/2, Using V4.1.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:51 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobot9000 View Post
First of all this has been a very informative and well done project which is why I am posting my question here. I like the idea that the part count is low and especially the move towards an SMD board. I had emailed Rolf asking about using pager type motors and small CW/CCW props from indoorflyer to make a palm sized quad and am seeking additional input. I have seen other posts of small quads smarty and others, but the details on the designs are either hard to locate or not complete as far as the programming - perhaps I am not looking in the correct place I would like to know if it would be possible to to adapt this design to use non-esc motors like small pager motors?

Thanks,
Mike
I will take a look at integrating 4 brushed esc into the hardware. Also the board must be made smaller.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:13 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Thanks for the explanation Kaptein! Understand it now. But I'm still wondering why the ESC needs to employ such behaviour?

From the graph you sent, although the time resolution is too course, I see that the first pulse that makes the ESC go high power also has similar width to that of other pulses, so I think it might be a software bug with the ESC that you see power jumps up when the first pulse shows up and then stays low with other pulses.

-Thanh
It is giving full throttle all the time until the current abruptly drops near the end.
The current (and power) is sloping down due to the motor rpm rises.

See attached scope screenshot.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhead View Post
Thank you hands-off video. I'm impressed Tricopter application perform same???
Yes, I will begin to build my own T style tricopter with your code!
I try the tricopter hands off hover later.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
Kaptein.

Very nice SMD design.....and I like that Atmega88 can be reused - you mean the silver Xmhobbies version of 401b (Gyrd) - I have two of those - and it would be great to reuse parts!

One note though - I think that a perfect square design would work better for a board that sits 45 degrees offset. But I guess it wouldnt be hard to redesign for gyros at right angles, or even put gyros on a separate board. That would also give a wider selection of possible gyros to use...Including the new 3-axis boards and small version of Enc-03R. But great work!

How are you planning to make this board. Will you put it up for production....

Jim, nice to hear the tonertransfer worked out for you..lets see a picture of your board

Jussi
Thanks

I tried (not to hard tough) to make the board square, but then it got large unused spaces. If you want square board, just pull the board edges in eagle Also a redesign could be done, but I was thinking it was not too important to get it square.

Align it to your frame using the edges, not the corners.

I will take a look at the different board houses. Anybody got ideas? Someone was talking about Futurlec?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:29 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48 View Post
Hi KapteinKUK

Do you recommend any particular size for the frame with this board?

I have one part made (from another project) which is 48cm across from motor shaft to motor shaft, any idea if this would work?

Thanks
Frank
Yep, it will work. It has been tried in frames from 20cm to 90cm.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddynamics View Post
hello KapteinKUK your thread is becoming hot day by day
thanks again man

i was thinking about the gyro and servo reversing, instead of making the roll pot to zero , we can add a push button to the board which bypass the pot zero value . so when ever if we want to reverse the gyro just switch the push button and move the stick to which we want to reverse actually , this would be easy. the same thing can be made for throttle range setting , in the case of making yaw pot to zero. it is just an idea , but it will work, tommo im gonna test it
Sounds like you are going to complicate a simple design!

If you are thinking of grounding the pot output with a switch, what will happen if the pot is near max position?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts
on ebay are so many different brushless engines

which weight does a quad have ? and which engines can keep the quad flying?

is this thing useable?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or may i buy this ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
STitch_mimulus is offline Find More Posts by STitch_mimulus
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:32 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,436 Posts
Hi Stitch

To me both of those motors look to have too higk kv rating. Quads need slower revving motors. Check out Jims quad thread for advice on this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355

Hope this helps
Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts
erm what O.o many names and otehrn text but there no chematiks about weight or prices or i am so stupid taht i cannot find in that letter blargh :O--x
STitch_mimulus is offline Find More Posts by STitch_mimulus