HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguns View Post
I was talking to a friend about my problem and he suggested I check the gyros and see if they needed to be reversed. He makes a very good point, but what I'm not clear about is.... if the controller board works perfect on one quad and then acts crazy on a different quad, can it really be the gyros? I guess I was thinking once you had a controller board working it would work on any ESC/motor combination. ??

Thanks,
Justin
Hi Justin,

Those non programmable SS ESCs are a waste of time. I have also tried these and wasted days trying to calibrate them to the point where they would work. Also these combined with the power of the 1200KV motors will not provide a stable enough response.

I recommend going back to Turningy Plush or the Programmable SS ESCs.

Cheers,

Niall
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:20 PM
Registered User
handihomann's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguns View Post
I was talking to a friend about my problem and he suggested I check the gyros and see if they needed to be reversed. He makes a very good point, but what I'm not clear about is.... if the controller board works perfect on one quad and then acts crazy on a different quad, can it really be the gyros? I guess I was thinking once you had a controller board working it would work on any ESC/motor combination. ??

Thanks,
Justin
I had the same problem with these ESCs using the KK Board, but works OK on SIGNguy Tricopter. The problem with this esc is the delay. You can hack and reprogrammed it if you don't mind with the work. Here is the link how to
Upgrading the firmware in a Hobbyking ESC (1 min 46 sec)
handihomann is offline Find More Posts by handihomann
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:22 PM
Registered User
noppita's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
i have these esc. These esc does not have wording (card programmerable) therefore these esc can not be program min and max and other function. Therefore the controller will not work right. I experienced uncontrolled throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguns View Post
Has anybody ever built a quad with these SS ESC's.... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6460

I built a quad with Niall's KK controller board and HK401 gyros a few months ago and it flies awesome with Turnigy ESC's and BL-2830-14 750KV motors.

With this new quad I'm building I'm trying to use the SS ECS's in the link above and the FC 28-22 1200kv motors from hobbyking. I'm using the same controller board that was in the original quad. I got it all put together, but it flies horrible!!!! When I fly it a couple feet off the ground it wobbles and wobbles until it finally goes out of control and hits the ground. It doesn't always wobble the same direction..... sometimes it's left and right and other times it's front to back and sometimes it's all the directions. I can put the controller board in the original quad and I can easily hover at 2 feet with no problems at all. The airframe is basically the same between the two quads. The only 2 major differences is the motors and the ESC's. I'm thinking the ESC's is the problem. Seems like I remember KK or something mentioning that the SS ESC's can't process the data quick enough. Tonight I'm going to swap out the SS ESC's with the Turnigy's to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Justin
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:24 PM
Registered User
noppita's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
your gyro is fine, they are in right direction, no need for reserve. because if you need to reverse and you fly the copter up from ground, the copter will flip and crash right after you leave the ground. so your gyro is good


Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguns View Post
I was talking to a friend about my problem and he suggested I check the gyros and see if they needed to be reversed. He makes a very good point, but what I'm not clear about is.... if the controller board works perfect on one quad and then acts crazy on a different quad, can it really be the gyros? I guess I was thinking once you had a controller board working it would work on any ESC/motor combination. ??

Thanks,
Justin
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
Registered User
noppita's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
the reason why some people have good success on those esc is because you had the esc hobbyking ss with out the wording (card programmable) but those people buy the one with the wording (card programmable). the esc from hobbyking without the wording (card programmable) will not work


Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Well in my early quad days, I tried some of those non programmable ESC's (Tower Pro ESC) and I couldn't fly it either. It hunts & wobble badly until it crashed. I think it's too slow to response to the changes from the controller. Some people have good success with those so I'm still wondering what's going on. My set up with same motors, same mechanical, same everything and just with Turnigy plush ESC flies beautiful after I replaced the ESC.

-Thanh
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:42 PM
Registered User
noppita's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
where is the link to upgrade firmware? the vdo does not talk about how to upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by handihomann View Post
I had the same problem with these ESCs using the KK Board, but works OK on SIGNguy Tricopter. The problem with this esc is the delay. You can hack and reprogrammed it if you don't mind with the work. Here is the link how tohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqHZ...layer_embedded
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
Hi Justin,

Those non programmable SS ESCs are a waste of time. I have also tried these and wasted days trying to calibrate them to the point where they would work. Also these combined with the power of the 1200KV motors will not provide a stable enough response.

I recommend going back to Turningy Plush or the Programmable SS ESCs.

Cheers,

Niall
I use the non card programmable SS 10 amp speed controls on a Multi Wii copter with great results. Unless the 15-18 amp uses very different firmware, I imagine it would work well too. The oscillations you describe sound like vibration or too much gain. I'd try those two things before trashing the speed controls.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
I use the non card programmable SS 10 amp speed controls on a Multi Wii copter with great results. Unless the 15-18 amp uses very different firmware, I imagine it would work well too. The oscillations you describe sound like vibration or too much gain. I'd try those two things before trashing the speed controls.
I think the 50Hz update rate has indigestion with the signals from the KKcontroller. I used the 18amp ones and tried everything to get them to work without success. I manually set the min and max throttle and adjusted the gain etc etc etc.

I guess updating the ESC firmware might be an option if all else fails.
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
Registered User
Argentina, Rosario
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Hello
Drmax is offline Find More Posts by Drmax
Last edited by Drmax; Nov 11, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. I swapped out the SS ESC's with the Turnigy ESC's and it flies perfect now!!!! Lesson learned, don't buy non-programmable ESC's...haha

That is interesting you can hack these non programmable SS ESC's, but to be honest I don't have to the time to take on another project. Would anybody be interested in buying these SS 25-30 ESC's? I have 5 of them total. They are just like these... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6460 I'll sell the 5 of them for $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks again for the help,
Justin
cncguns is offline Find More Posts by cncguns
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:10 AM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
spagoziak's Avatar
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Full R trim?

Hey folks, I've come to realize that my situation shouldn't be considered normal, but I'm not sure what I can do about it..

In order for my quad to fly stable, I have to have my rudder trim set to full right (CW) + subtrim > 40 as well. Ailerons are close behind it, same direction (bank right to compensate for its desire to bank left).

Pitch is about 66% trimmed back with 0 subtrim.

In other words, to get this thing to fly stable, my trims are almost maxed out.

I've replaced my props, and replaced a motor that sounded differently than the other three. I've checked them all on a tachometer while in ESC programming mode (yaw to 0) and they're all within 100rpm of each other.

I rebound my spektrum dx6i with the trims at 0 and THEN trimmed out the copter to level with the same result.

What else could be causing this issue? A strong gust of wind will usually cause the copter to spin wildly CCW because there seems to be not much more CW rudder left in the thing. Indeed, when I rudder R (to turn it CW), it does so very slowly. Of course, rudder L (CCW) will whip it around very quickly.

I'm quite puzzled... what else is there to verify? Vibrations? Chip has corruption? Bad gyro?

Here's a link to my build list (scroll down through most of the page till you see a bunch of links):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=303360
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:24 AM
That tree again!!!!
thanhTran's Avatar
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
That's really odd Spag.
I'm wondering if your motors really start at the same time if you have all trims set to zero?
I would try doing throttle calibration for all ESC's again if you haven't done it already.
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:35 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
BloomingtonFPV's Avatar
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noppita View Post
where is the link to upgrade firmware? the vdo does not talk about how to upgrade
See my blog for the details on upgrading the firmware.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:17 AM
Registered User
noppita's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
have you set min and max and program your esc individually and later set min max using kk board?


Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
Hey folks, I've come to realize that my situation shouldn't be considered normal, but I'm not sure what I can do about it..

In order for my quad to fly stable, I have to have my rudder trim set to full right (CW) + subtrim > 40 as well. Ailerons are close behind it, same direction (bank right to compensate for its desire to bank left).

Pitch is about 66% trimmed back with 0 subtrim.

In other words, to get this thing to fly stable, my trims are almost maxed out.

I've replaced my props, and replaced a motor that sounded differently than the other three. I've checked them all on a tachometer while in ESC programming mode (yaw to 0) and they're all within 100rpm of each other.

I rebound my spektrum dx6i with the trims at 0 and THEN trimmed out the copter to level with the same result.

What else could be causing this issue? A strong gust of wind will usually cause the copter to spin wildly CCW because there seems to be not much more CW rudder left in the thing. Indeed, when I rudder R (to turn it CW), it does so very slowly. Of course, rudder L (CCW) will whip it around very quickly.

I'm quite puzzled... what else is there to verify? Vibrations? Chip has corruption? Bad gyro?

Here's a link to my build list (scroll down through most of the page till you see a bunch of links):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=303360
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:56 AM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
spagoziak's Avatar
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
That's really odd Spag.
I'm wondering if your motors really start at the same time if you have all trims set to zero?
I would try doing throttle calibration for all ESC's again if you haven't done it already.
I have done that, lots of times. I usually do that if there's a moderate temp difference between where I store the quad and where I'll be flying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noppita View Post
have you set min and max and program your esc individually and later set min max using kk board?
I've never done it individually... that would require separating the esc from the board and programming them traditionally, right?

When I did an ESC calibration, I immediately tested each prop with a tach and all speeds were within 100rpm of each other. Isn't this a testimony of synchronization between them?
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Quadrotor brushless controller airbotix Multirotor Talk 63 Aug 06, 2010 11:15 AM
Discussion ALPO -Aerobatic Low Parts count Original design. Brian Courtice Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 8 Sep 21, 2009 03:57 AM
Discussion Any tips for my first flight with a low wing plane? Warthog_Fan Fuel Plane Talk 4 Sep 06, 2009 07:53 AM
Help! Need help with Low-cost QuadRotor Hero.sl Coaxial Helicopters 5 Jun 28, 2009 02:26 AM
Question Searching Simple Controller for Free Flight flymax Power Systems 8 Jan 07, 2006 10:07 AM