HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:00 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
...There is an oscillator running in the presumeably 4khz-40khz range that is used as a reference. For example the ST yaw gyro is running at 4.5khz and the Invensense yaw gyro is running at 38khz. The piezo gyros are closer to 40khz also. ....The AD gyros run at 15khz and I was just wondering where the 550 series fell in at. Inquiring minds like to know you know.
Thanks for the info.

My poor man o'scope didn't pick up anything from the ST gyro. Maybe next time when I build another one I would poke the gyro without any filter. What's the benefit of higher or lower "core" reference frequency that you were interested in?

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:12 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben123 View Post
Here's the ENC-03RC Eagle component I made if anyone wants to use it/check it for me

Ben.
Thanks for sharing the lib. Ben. I checked with the document and with the HK gyro board and it seemed correct.

I don't see problem with using the inverter from 1S to 5v. Just make sure you have enough filter & caps

One-cell quad sounds like a great project. Definitely everything needs to scale down. Hopefully you can shrink the PCB a lot by using 2 layers. I've tried double layer couple times about 15 years ago. I didn't have good luck with silk screen printing and alignment . I've not tried again with the UV exposure that I'm using now. I've thought about print the film bigger than the PCB board itself so that I can align the two piece together though.

-Thanh
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:15 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddynamics View Post
hello,
i found the cheap smd enc-03r gyro from Japanese online store , comes around $5 per piece.. very cheap.. comes 2 in a pack for 800 Japanese yen.. 2 for $8

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...GQGCt-C4eLFvIQ
That looks great until I try to order . Can't read the check out page . Maybe someone can help?

Thanks

-Thanh
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
That looks great until I try to order . Can't read the check out page . Maybe someone can help?

Thanks

-Thanh
again google is your friend .... go ahead translate it
quaddynamics is offline Find More Posts by quaddynamics
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:20 AM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
Hi quaddynamics.

Did you manage to order from there? As I found on the checkout, right at the bottom, it says "We will NOT ship internationally."

Quote:
hello,
i found the cheap smd enc-03r gyro from Japanese online store , comes around $5 per piece.. very cheap.. comes 2 in a pack for 800 Japanese yen.. 2 for $8

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...GQGCt-C4eLFvIQ
ben123 is offline Find More Posts by ben123
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:25 AM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
Thanks for checking the lib Thanh

I was hoping to use the toner transfer/laminator double layer method. Seems pretty straight forward and we have a lamintor at work which should do the job. Seems cheap enough for several trial and errors till I get a good one .

http://myweb.cableone.net/wheedal/pcb.htm

Ben.

Quote:
I've tried double layer couple times about 15 years ago. I didn't have good luck with silk screen printing and alignment . I've not tried again with the UV exposure that I'm using now. I've thought about print the film bigger than the PCB board itself so that I can align the two piece together though.

-Thanh
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:54 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts

all in one -

a new 3 axis gyroscope - http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9727

jürgen
JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:03 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

My poor man o'scope didn't pick up anything from the ST gyro. Maybe next time when I build another one I would poke the gyro without any filter. What's the benefit of higher or lower "core" reference frequency that you were interested in?

Thanh
There is "talk" that the lower frequency oscillators are being interfered with by the low frequency vibrations present on quads. Personally I don't completely buy into it. I think there may have been some manufacturing errors made while using ST chips and it cast a shadow on them. I am waiting to see if ST tech support for their gyros gets back to me on a couple of questions. I do see the ST 550 modules for sale and I am very interested if they will work. Not to mention the 3 axis that is coming out that Jurgen just posted.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
CNC Guitar
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
339 Posts
Quote:
There is "talk" that the lower frequency oscillators are being interfered with by the low frequency vibrations present on quads. Personally I don't completely buy into it.
very well said....I think a lot of the ST gyros have been getting a bad rap as a result of this. Also, boards like this

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...l-mki062v1.htm

Which have everything integrated and are already assembled suffer from it as well without any real world and concrete evidence (I wish I had the time, and programming knowledge :-) )

Also, take a look at this post, as further evidence..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7667

Would be interested to see if any of you give these gyros a try, and report back.

cyborgcnc is offline Find More Posts by cyborgcnc
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:34 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
again google is your friend .... go ahead translate it
This is what happens to me:

Started with your link (which already is translated) I added the item to the shopping cart (presumably since the button is Japanese). When I click on the button which I assumed the "buy" or "add to cart" which are not English (blue button), it went back to Japanese (it's still under the google translate frame).

Now how do you put this page to the translator? If I click on the shopping car button, it says something like I have no item in the cart. If I copy and paste the URL (http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/cart/cart.aspx) I see in this content page to the translator, it says that I have no content in the cart also.

Suggestion?

Thanks

Thanh
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:12 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
There is "talk" that the lower frequency oscillators are being interfered with by the low frequency vibrations present on quads. ....
I've read the Lisy gyros weren't performing well in helicopter application from Sparkfun forum. But I wasn't relating that with the gyro core frequency. It makes sense. Gyros come with foam tapes just to isolate vibration I suppose. I think if the gyro is isolated well enough, it should be ok, right?

Thanks

-Thanh
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:16 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUERGEN_ View Post

all in one -

a new 3 axis gyroscope - http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9727

jürgen
I wanted to buy that 3 axis gyro when I start designing the PCB for the ST gyro, but it wasn't available yet. Hopefully my parts coming soon so that I can try out the pitch & roll ST gyros to see how they perform. If they do well, I will try out the 3 axis one when they come.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
Need some big brain help

In KapteinKuk's ENC-03R schematic (below) he has a 100Ohm resistor between VCC and the 47uF cap. And also a 0.68uF cap between the Atmega and the gyro out.

These components are also on his V4 board leading to the gyro pins. Are they doubled up or duplicates? If they're doubled up can I replace them with double value components (i.e. a 200Ohm resistor). I'm clueless so if that sounds ridiculous please forgive me .
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:29 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Need some big brain help

In KapteinKuk's ENC-03R schematic (below) he has a 100Ohm resistor between VCC and the 47uF cap. And also a 0.68uF cap between the Atmega and the gyro out.

These components are also on his V4 board leading to the gyro pins. Are they doubled up or duplicates? If they're doubled up can I replace them with double value components (i.e. a 200Ohm resistor). I'm clueless so if that sounds ridiculous please forgive me .
I think it's duplicated. V4 board uses the HK gyro board. This board does not have this 100 ohm register built in.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:22 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Need some big brain help

The schematic you refer to is to be used if you have the naked gyro without the PCB it comes with from the HK401B gyro. It is used to add the components that is from the HK401B.
If you use the PCB from the HK401B, then use only the schematic from the V4 zip file.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk