HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:28 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
No, not yet.... and it might be a while before i get around to it. Waiting for some resistors ant other parts, and have to find time in between other obligations and projects

But the WMP clone on DX is only 10.99, so if you are impatient it wouldnt cost you much to try it out and possibly be the first to fly a KK kontroller with a WMP
Hi,

Is it only a matter of getting the correct Vref on the 3 analog outputs of the Wii / WMP using the correct resistors?

Can the WMP be fed with the same voltage as the HK gyros on the KK board.

Thanks
manuLRK
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:32 AM
Joined May 2006
353 Posts
help requested

hello Kaptainkook,
my name is ashta from Bangalore.
thank you very much for the great information and wealth of information provided to this General community. Hats off to you!

i am planning to build a KK QUAD. i am a newbie and needs request guidance. I want to make it as light as possible.
1.Where can i get the Thru hole control board, PCB?
2. Can i get a PCB for Gyro cube and from where?
3. Can i use Blue wonder motors from hobby city, 1300 KV, 4 nos.
best regards
ashta
ashtasky is offline Find More Posts by ashtasky
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:36 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
Does the board have to be retrimmed in flight or will it hold trim for the flight?
no. u can fly from inside of your house (25C) to the outside (15C) and u dont have to trim. thats the biggest advantage of the Lxx550 gyros. no temp drift.
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:04 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Hi,

Is it only a matter of getting the correct Vref on the 3 analog outputs of the Wii / WMP using the correct resistors?

Can the WMP be fed with the same voltage as the HK gyros on the KK board.

Thanks
manuLRK
The WMP (I tried the original - not the clone - so your mileage might vary) has its own 3v voltage regulator so you can hook the input to 5v of KK board. The regulator needs to be enable though (just connect 2 outter pins of the 3 top pins together). Then you can just hook 3 gyro wires of KK board to T1 (Z), T2 (either X or Y), and T3 (either Y or X). Just need to swap T2 & T3 if the gyro axis is not correct.

Sorry for the poor image quality. I was taking it with my phone as a note. Didn't mean to show anyone.
The red and white wire on top of the gyro board is power +5v (red) and gnd (white). The blue and white kynar wires are the roll & Nick gyros. The other white wier in between is Z gyro. The blue kynar wire on the U2 (5 pin chip) is the regulator enable so that it powers the gyros.

-Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:20 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
The cute thing about this code is that it can weight the new value from previous multiple sample results without having to hold lots of previous samples.
So less storage and processing required.
I tried the filters. The result was inconclusive. With both hard filter and medium filter, I see the quad wags more, but it could be that different flying condition (wind, battery level).

I'm thinking about using ITG3200 gyros now. I opened the shipment that I got from CDI and looked at the gyro chips. They freak me out. The chip is a little smaller than the ST 550 gyros (4mm vs 5mm) and it has more pins plus the ground pad in the middle. I'm trying to create an eagle library part. Do you know if there is Ealge part for this ITG 3200 gyro?

Thanks

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:01 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Do you know if there is Ealge part for this ITG 3200 gyro?
try this one

btw, how does the kk kopter fly with the wm+ ? i bought a wm+ for the triwiicopter project but have to wait for my arduino so i would test the wm+ gyros on the kk quad. take a look at the pic. is it right?

Last edited by warthox; Sep 24, 2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:07 AM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtasky View Post
hello Kaptainkook,
my name is ashta from Bangalore.
thank you very much for the great information and wealth of information provided to this General community. Hats off to you!

i am planning to build a KK QUAD. i am a newbie and needs request guidance. I want to make it as light as possible.
1.Where can i get the Thru hole control board, PCB?
2. Can i get a PCB for Gyro cube and from where?
3. Can i use Blue wonder motors from hobby city, 1300 KV, 4 nos.
best regards
ashta
Hi Ashta,

KK is quite busy these days, but perhaps I can help.

1. http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.php/classifieds There are lots of options here.
2. Gyro-cube is not longer part of the v6 design, there are however some designs for a gyrocube in this thread if you look. For the v6 Through Hole PCB, gyros are directly mounted onto the board.
3. 1300KV motors might be OK for aerobatic flying, but are probably too much power for you. Try something below 1000KV to start with.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Niall
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:16 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Does someone found other ways to prevent the quad copter/tricopter "ballooning up" or "stalling" in forward flight?

Thank Thanh for the prop stiffness importance!
More gain, if possible.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:26 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
I tried the filters. The result was inconclusive. With both hard filter and medium filter, I see the quad wags more, but it could be that different flying condition (wind, battery level).

I'm thinking about using ITG3200 gyros now. I opened the shipment that I got from CDI and looked at the gyro chips. They freak me out. The chip is a little smaller than the ST 550 gyros (4mm vs 5mm) and it has more pins plus the ground pad in the middle. I'm trying to create an eagle library part. Do you know if there is Ealge part for this ITG 3200 gyro?

Thanks

Thanh
Hi Thanh
Regarding the wags/wobbles, perhaps you need a faster loop rate. I know Rolf's software outputs at about 190Hz, but maybe a faster rate can be used as you are using your own software.
I don't know what the absolute max rate is, presuambly depends on the ESC being used.

Sparkfun usually has a good library of bits, but I can't see it in the latest version I have.
I appear to have created my own library with it in, so have attached it for you to use. Note - I havn't actually used these, but the ITG-3200 is is a standard package QFN-24
Good luck with the soldering

Mike

p.s. I think I may have increased the size of the smd pads for the QFN24 to make it easier to solder
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Last edited by Mike Barton; Sep 24, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:32 AM
Joined Sep 2007
15 Posts
I built a flight control tricopter with V6 and 1.5 Softver
In order to be connected to the engine board?
Arrow on the board have to stand in front?
Sukhoi31 is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoi31
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:52 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
@Chris

I followed the discussion about new version and ST vs Gyrostar, and found it very interesting. Especially regarding the tolerance to vibrations and overall stabilty.

I think that for the next version it would make sense to make a board that could use both gyrostars or ST chips (sorta like the korean board).

I am thinking that a beginner might have trouble building and setting up a copter that flies well if the STs are very sensitive to vibrations.....and even though the gyrostars drift, the great thing about about them is their ability to tolerate vibrations...

The downside is of course that there has to be an extra small board for the Yaw gyro.....

Pricewise it would probably cost the same to make it with gyrostars - perhaps it would even be cheaper.

Anyway, I am looking forward to trying it out....great work.
Jussi
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:03 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
@Chris

I followed the discussion about new version and ST vs Gyrostar, and found it very interesting. Especially regarding the tolerance to vibrations and overall stabilty.

I think that for the next version it would make sense to make a board that could use both gyrostars or ST chips (sorta like the korean board).

I am thinking that a beginner might have trouble building and setting up a copter that flies well if the STs are very sensitive to vibrations.....and even though the gyrostars drift, the great thing about about them is their ability to tolerate vibrations...

The downside is of course that there has to be an extra small board for the Yaw gyro.....

Pricewise it would probably cost the same to make it with gyrostars - perhaps it would even be cheaper.

Anyway, I am looking forward to trying it out....great work.
Jussi
The WM+ is probably the best solution if successful, price wise (10$), and at first look, easier to install compared to the HK401 hack!

manuLRK
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
I don't know what the absolute max rate is, presuambly depends on the ESC being used.
as far as i know the turnigy plush are still working with 417hz.

"I could successfully test the following ESCs on the ground with 417Hz:
Turnigy Plush - 60A, Turnigy Plush - 40A, Turnigy Plush - 25A, Turnigy Plush - 10A, Turnigy Plush - 6A"

http://shrediquette.blogspot.com/201...erter-and.html

maybe kk could make a quad v4.3 with a higher refreshrate so i could test if the stabilization get better
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:21 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
as far as i know the turnigy plush are still working with 417hz.

"I could successfully test the following ESCs on the ground with 417Hz:
Turnigy Plush - 60A, Turnigy Plush - 40A, Turnigy Plush - 25A, Turnigy Plush - 10A, Turnigy Plush - 6A"

http://shrediquette.blogspot.com/201...erter-and.html

maybe kk could make a quad v4.3 with a higher refreshrate so i could test if the stabilization get better
Wow, 417Hz is pretty fast - so presumably any other version of the Turnigy plush should work the same.

I have been having some thoughts on 'improvements' (pls note this is in no way a criticism of Rolfs excellent software), and one of the things was the concept of adjustable ESC refresh rates as I'm sure (well hopefull really) this would improve stability in certain cases.

One of the other ideas I have come up with is 'Stick Centering'
This idea I came up with after looking at Rolf's code and reading that several of you have had - and still are having - trim issues with a stick maxxed out.
I noticed that the centre point for centred sticks (Roll/Pitch/Rudder) has been hard-coded within the software, so I wrote some programs to analyze my receiver output, and noticed that mine were slightly different, and I am sure that everyone else's is different to mine.

Basically, if your Tx centre is different to this hard-coded number, then you will have to trim this difference out before you can apply more trim. You may be lucky in-that the trim you need cancels out the difference, but others may not be.

The simple solution is to have another configuration mode (Pitch Gain pot zero) which will store your particular receiver's value at startup, and then subsequently use this in the calculations.
I honestly don't know how significant the problem really is as I don't have the problem myself.
The concept could maybe applied to the Throttle/Collective inthat you could set the motors start-up point.

I also have some other mad thoughts, but maybe I keep them to myself

Mike
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:31 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Wow, 417Hz is pretty fast - so presumably any other version of the Turnigy plush should work the same.

I have been having some thoughts on 'improvements' (pls note this is in no way a criticism of Rolfs excellent software), and one of the things was the concept of adjustable ESC refresh rates as I'm sure (well hopefull really) this would improve stability in certain cases.

One of the other ideas I have come up with is 'Stick Centering'
This idea I came up with after looking at Rolf's code and reading that several of you have had - and still are having - trim issues with a stick maxxed out.
I noticed that the centre point for centred sticks (Roll/Pitch/Rudder) has been hard-coded within the software, so I wrote some programs to analyze my receiver output, and noticed that mine were slightly different, and I am sure that everyone else's is different to mine.

Basically, if your Tx centre is different to this hard-coded number, then you will have to trim this difference out before you can apply more trim. You may be lucky in-that the trim you need cancels out the difference, but others may not be.

The simple solution is to have another configuration mode (Pitch Gain pot zero) which will store your particular receiver's value at startup, and then subsequently use this in the calculations.
I honestly don't know how significant the problem really is as I don't have the problem myself.
The concept could maybe applied to the Throttle/Collective inthat you could set the motors start-up point.

I also have some other mad thoughts, but maybe I keep them to myself

Mike
as i read what you post you must be a programmer right? so is it possible for u to change the refreshrate in the kk code?