HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:56 PM
Tinkerer
Earth
Joined Oct 2005
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc67 View Post
Nice looking T-tri looks like it's very agile. do you cut down the shafts on those motors?
You can actually reverse the shaft on the KDA20-22 as shown here.
don_cocinero is offline Find More Posts by don_cocinero
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2008
235 Posts
How about this for a fuselage/body for a T tricopter......
I was thinking lightweight depron construction any takers...
jonnyc67 is offline Find More Posts by jonnyc67
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
I find it pretty daft to use a hammer to remove the shaft from a motor

Sensible people use a drill press and an old (smaller) axle to press out the shaft.....
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
235 Posts
I'd rather use my pillar drill, or the tailstock of a lathe (or my hydraulic press )to press shafts out be honest - I suppose a hammer would do for field repairs, but it's pretty easy to bend the shaft out of true...
I'm probably going to cut down the shafts in my old motors when they get transplanted to a new project, was just curious if KK had cut down the shaft in the tail motor of his T tricopter as I couldn't see it sticking out.
jonnyc67 is offline Find More Posts by jonnyc67
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:17 PM
mixed styles flight
central Florida USA
Joined Dec 2002
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Here is my newest toy, a T-style tricopter.
Nice and light!

My recent build is half-way between a traditional tricopter and a T-copter and it looks like we did the same thing. I kept the equilateral triangle motor layout and CG, but relocated the arms. The layout seems to have worked out just fine, but there are still some other bugs to iron out.
321 is offline Find More Posts by 321
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:49 PM
Tinkerer
Earth
Joined Oct 2005
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc67 View Post
... - I suppose a hammer would do for field repairs, but it's pretty easy to bend the shaft out of true...
Only if the only tool you possess is a mallet.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:53 PM
Tinkerer
Earth
Joined Oct 2005
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
I find it pretty daft to use a hammer to remove the shaft from a motor

Sensible people use a drill press and an old (smaller) axle to press out the shaft.....
Sensible people acquire the skills that enable them to work efficiently without having to fill a room with machines.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:02 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_cocinero View Post
You can actually reverse the shaft on the KDA20-22 as shown here.
It looks like the new KDA motors recently add this feature. It has the c-clip slots at both ends of the shaft. The old one I have don't have the c-clip slot at the other end, and you would have to cut it before you could reverse it.
I was wondering why I see the slot on the top of the shaft, now I know why
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Last edited by thanhTran; Sep 06, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:16 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Here is my newest toy, a T-style tricopter. It has a motor to motor distance of 50cm, and is made of 15x25x0.6 mm alu ....

Really nice work & flying Kaptein! Nice tail motor holder you have there. I like the idea that the motor is mounted directly on it.

Seems like you're getting a lot more aggressive on your flying . How are those hot glue and zip tie hold up in that last crash? And did I hear machine gun firing in the background?
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:03 AM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Really nice work & flying Kaptein! Nice tail motor holder you have there. I like the idea that the motor is mounted directly on it.

Seems like you're getting a lot more aggressive on your flying . How are those hot glue and zip tie hold up in that last crash? And did I hear machine gun firing in the background?
Thats what I heard too.... Then I realized it was the wood peckers who keep getting freaked out by the alien craft trying to scare them off with an amp connected to their beak mikes!

Kaptein.... I have seen the T copter thread that got a bit nasty on rcgroups and I have a very clever friend here in the UK who independantly has been building a T. Both projects seem to be based on the scope of heavy lift. Is that why you ventured into this layout ? Or just because you could?

Has anyone run a KK in conjunction with a DOSD+v2 yet? All the new features that have been added to it recently means that I think its a fairly easy and relatively inexpensive way to get gps and by next week waypoints etc....

Thats my plan anyhow.... But my Tri is on hold whilst I set the DOSD up in my twinstar first (any cock ups on my part will be cushioned by the luxury of a glide before a thump!! Would be interested to hear anyone elses thoughts

regards
Paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:23 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
166 Posts
How do I fix...

Setup.
Tricopter with motor to center 21". TH V6 board. Tri V1.5 software.
Have gain on all 3 pots all the way to max, but I'm not getting symptoms of high gain, rather that I don't have enough gain. Turned pots all the way down(CCW) and it's for sure low gain.
I have looked at the TriCopterV1_5.asm and think that changing PotScaleRoll & PotScalePitch might do what I want. I changed from the default value of 10 down to 9 for both but didn't see any difference. I'm using AVR Studio. Do I have to do something different here before I upload or same as normal upload.
Suggestions please...
Bill
SupraGo is offline Find More Posts by SupraGo
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:27 AM
Joined Jul 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
The black probe goes to any outer pins of the Motor connectors (the negative pin). The red probe goes to the middle pin of the gyro board. If there is zero volt there then you need to probe into the gyro board or the gyro chip itself. The gyro board has 3 pins: GND, gyro out(middle should be around 1.33v), and Vcc(should be around 4.6v)

Thanh
Hey Thanh, what software version are these reading for? Mine is V4.4 and middle pin gives only 0.1V and Vcc is 0.83V. I tried to reduce pot but readings doesn't change.
I still don't know why I can't arm/disarm. The board gives steady LED approx 2 secs after power on and arm instantly.

Help!!
skye is offline Find More Posts by skye
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:12 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
Hey Thanh, what software version are these reading for? Mine is V4.4 and middle pin gives only 0.1V and Vcc is 0.83V. I tried to reduce pot but readings doesn't change.
I still don't know why I can't arm/disarm. The board gives steady LED approx 2 secs after power on and arm instantly.

Help!!
in regards to arm/disarm - 4.4 doesn't have arm/disarm - 4.5 is when it was implemented, the current firmware for quads of this posting
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:15 AM
No, it's the same plane ...
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bochum
Joined Jul 2010
149 Posts
Quote:
And did I hear machine gun firing in the background?
I think everybody is hearing what he wants to hear .
But i assume that these sounds are only the air hammer sounds from the nearby junkyard (seen on kapteinkuks pan/tilt video). I've seen this technic of metal separation at a local junkyard and it makes exactly these sounds

regards
jjk

ps: My diploma theses is ready and now i could start to build my own tricopter
jjk77 is offline Find More Posts by jjk77
Last edited by jjk77; Sep 07, 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:35 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post

Help!!
Hey Skye

I lost count of which software that has the arm/dis-arm feature. Please see Bob's post.

Regarding the voltage values, they are not affected by the software version. If you're turning the pots, only the middle pin's voltage changes. The number seems too low. The voltage at the right pin of the pot (look from top) or voltage of C11 should be around 1.6v and middle pin of the pots when pots are in the middle is supposed to be around 0.8v. If not, you should check the resistor R9 & R10.

-Thanh