Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
watch these videos. if u think this is aerobatic, then i do some aerobatics
Yes I know you are awesome
But you fly in +, I am interested in flying X for video/FPV reasons. But I want to be sure I can learn to fly like you in X or if + is better for that type of flying.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:54 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Sep 2008
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
[...] do you think that these motors would be alright? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...runner__1200kv

I think they are what Warthox uses and they are very cheap which is good.
I don't know this motor, but if Warthox uses them, they clearly work very well!

Quote:
Could you please explain how you built yours out of HK450 parts and if you have a picture that would be helpful.

I already have some carbon fibre sheet so i was thinking have a square of that in the middle with 4 HK450 booms atr right angles held by HK450 boom blocks and at the other end of the booms more boom blocks with platforms and the motors.
That's *exactly* what I did. 100mm CF square, and some boom blocks to hold the 450 alu booms. I mounted the boom blocks "backwards" to get a better grip on the booms (see pictures) and removed the side bumps. I then used the main bearing blocks (with the insides sanded down) to make some clamps to attach the motor plates at the other end. Then I screwed down an old CD-R casing, and I was pretty much done with the frame

I'm in the process of changing the stock screws for #4 nylon screws instead (so I break those instead of the CF plates), and I still haven't found a good way to make a high-clearance landing gear. Right now I use bits of pool noodles zip-tied under the motors, but I'll change that later because I want to mount my GoPro under the frame, without getting a motor in the shot...

Cheers,
Ben.
Fulg is offline Find More Posts by Fulg
Last edited by Fulg; Sep 01, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added picture descriptions...
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Hi,
Just sharing the centre board that we have done (more than one set as to go into "production" we need to make many sets so some spare might be consider to let) which already have the followings;
- all screw/mounting holes ready for Tri, Quad and Hex
- Ready to be soldered with a bullet for easy ESC power connection for easy field Arm replacement or direct solder
- Connection ready for LEDs which tap the power source from the 3S flight pack
- Switch to turn ON/OFF the LED power
- Can fit KK (or MK footprint) controller with ease onthe predrilled screw holes

Picture showing the Hex test fit.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar_5 View Post
Hey guys, a while ago I crashed the hell out of my nanokopter frame, and now when I'm thinking about the rebuild, I'm considering changing things up.

I'm aiming for somewhat of a small airframe (similar size to the nanokopter 3x2 I already have but pretty much destroyed), i have a good amount of LA Heli nanokopter / y-ufo props (clamp on with 2 bolts) that are a bit smaller than a 8x4.

All the KK quads I've seen are way more stable than I was able to get my KK Tri. I'm using this for fpv, so the lack of redundancy in a tri or quad is not very appealing and I was considering going with a y6 copter, but lack of people actually trying that (and getting an affordable frame that doesn't cost $15 / arm to fix after a crash) has been holding me back.

Currently I've been using the hextronic 24gram 1300kv motors. Maybe that's part of my problem? Hovering was at mid stick or so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:16 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Forgot to mentioned, me too using the standard 10mm Aluminium Sqaure bar.

The Hex picture uses the 10mm Carbon square from hobbycity. I used two of then and each cut to 3 at 250mm lenght. just nice for a Hex.

Still work in progress to get the motor mount which will try to have the LED lights as well. sample plate as picture.

So it wont be expansive if you need to replace any crash parts. Mostly prop. if you use Aluminium arm, you might be able to bent it for most cases.

One note to Heli guy who not tried Quad yet:
- Dont shut your throutlle too fast as it will drop like a stone

Most heli flyer should be able to hold the Quad, as the Quad need power to stay afloat, any sudden cut of power will loat altitude and also the stability.

Why also lost stability: the gyro correction do need motor power to work. If you cut the power means NO Gyro correction possible.

Happy Quading....
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:13 PM
Joined Jul 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edje11 View Post
I think that the powerconsumption is over estimated and you donīt need that very high current plugs.
On my quad i have mounted the HK ampere meter http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8319 and with take off it consumes about 16A total for 4 Turnigy 2209 26turn 1130kv 15A Outrunner motors with 10x45 props.
Quad Copter rtf weight 910gr with rhino 2350 lipo.
Hovering is around 12 amps.
Sorry no take off, no extra hand available for the camera and take a look at my led navigation flashing lights in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwAML4vMRHI
Whoaaa your light is sooo cool!! How did you make it? That should be called kkCOPquad.
skye is offline Find More Posts by skye
Last edited by skye; Sep 01, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all that info

do you think that these motors would be alright? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...runner__1200kv

I think they are what Warthox uses and they are very cheap which is good.

Could you please explain how you built yours out of HK450 parts and if you have a picture that would be helpful.

I already have some carbon fibre sheet so i was thinking have a square of that in the middle with 4 HK450 booms atr right angles held by HK450 boom blocks and at the other end of the booms more boom blocks with platforms and the motors.

Once again thankyou everyone

Brett
I had the HK 1300Kv 26g motors and the RPM's were too high and unstable to run off 3S. I've since switched to these with EPP8045 props and am pretty happy with them. They're only 35g, are very quiet, and low profile (i.e. no pedestal mount to break in crashes). I use 9 gram Turnigy Plush 10A ESC's (stuffed into the frame without any airflow) and neither they nor the motors are warm after a 13 min flight. The same motor's also available from RCTimer. He quotes 38g but the heaviest one I got from Goodluckbuy was 34.6g. These would be my next choice and may be even more stable. Downside is that they're 11g heavier and need a 12A ESC, but they come with prop savers. The shaft diameter is misquoted as 3mm in some listings and is really 3.17mm. Definately recommend using prop savers and not the prop adapters.

My build log with them is here. I'll be posting an updated one in a couple weeks with larger skids and FPV cam on a tilt pod underneath.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Sep 01, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:26 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
Whoaaa your light is sooo cool!! How did you make it? That should be called kkCOPquad.

I have been looking for a circuit for that style flash rate for a while now too. I was just about to ask the same thing!
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:43 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
What are you guys recommending for a programmer for my v4 board? I see a couple dif links etc...
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:22 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
What are you guys recommending for a programmer for my v4 board? I see a couple dif links etc...
I would suggest any programmer that works with AVR Studio. It makes your life much easier . It also supports wide variety of chips just in case you run into other projects that use different Atmel chip in the future.

I use Atmel Dragon. Cyhyam in this thread bought AVRISP mkII programmer. Many other bought the one mentioned at KKcopter website
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:27 AM
Girona, Spain
Joined Dec 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg View Post
I don't know this motor, but if Warthox uses them, they clearly work very well!

That's *exactly* what I did. 100mm CF square, and some boom blocks to hold the 450 alu booms. I mounted the boom blocks "backwards" to get a better grip on the booms (see pictures) and removed the side bumps. I then used the main bearing blocks (with the insides sanded down) to make some clamps to attach the motor plates at the other end. Then I screwed down an old CD-R casing, and I was pretty much done with the frame

I'm in the process of changing the stock screws for #4 nylon screws instead (so I break those instead of the CF plates), and I still haven't found a good way to make a high-clearance landing gear. Right now I use bits of pool noodles zip-tied under the motors, but I'll change that later because I want to mount my GoPro under the frame, without getting a motor in the shot...

Cheers,
Ben.
Excellent work fulg!
A question: to raise the C.G. with the camera up, it affects the stability of the quad?
QS-27 is offline Find More Posts by QS-27
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:06 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
AVRISP mkII In-System Programmer

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/to...p?tool_id=3808

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...y556-ATAVRISP2
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
379 Posts
Hello KapteinKuK, i couldn't see you in this thread for past few days .. what happen ,your pan/tilt is ready for KKboard ? . i have made the hardware ready . and i couldn't make software to work with existing board with 16Mhz external crystal .. please help me
quaddynamics is offline Find More Posts by quaddynamics
Old Sep 02, 2010, 02:04 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeli View Post
I have been looking for a circuit for that style flash rate for a while now too. I was just about to ask the same thing!
If you look in the FPV forum, Melih from Flytron has just come out with a new product and he is looking for suggestions for flash patterns. Get in touch with him and I'm sure you can get any flash pattern that you want.

Here's the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301101
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Sep 02, 2010, 02:52 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
shameless plug: I have some lighting stuff at liglow.com too
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Sep 02, 2010, 04:05 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
For sale

I have one complete RTF KKcontroller for sale. Its a TH type with HK401 sensor boards. It is completely tested and will be shipped with your firmware of choice.

Price is 110 Euros with shipping anywhere in the world. PM Me!
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member