SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:28 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
Postman brought me "fashion" present today......thanks Niall, that is a good idea....might make a CapCam with that one

/Jussi
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:41 AM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
Postman brought me "fashion" present today......thanks Niall, that is a good idea....might make a CapCam with that one

/Jussi
Hehe, I think everyone should have a "Flying Cap". I just need to get a beautiful model to model them for me.... and I don't think any of us qualify.
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:50 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
hey together,

i started a group on vimeo.com

if u have uploaded videos of any kkcopter add them to the group
would be cool if u login vimeo, upload your videos there and add them to the group.

http://vimeo.com/groups/kkmulticopter

-markus
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:26 AM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
hey together,

i started a group on vimeo.com

if u have uploaded videos of any kkcopter add them to the group
would be cool if u login vimeo, upload your videos there and add them to the group.

http://vimeo.com/groups/kkmulticopter

-markus
Yep and also don't forget to put them on the website so that other people can see what motors, escs, battery etc you use.

http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.php/users-videos
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:49 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
small quad

Hi,

As promised a small video of my quad flying in the garden.
It really doesn't like wind (36 cm between front & back motors).
Really hard to control compared to same size rc heli with same wind conditions.

Here I used all CCW props (as a test), with front and back motor tilted (quite a lot). Needed some time to set it up correctly to be yaw stable on hover.
I have the impression it turns better in one direction than the other, this would be because the asymmetry...

KK ver 4.5
pots :
yaw = max
roll & pitch = 25%

I will put back the CW & CCW props!

manuLRK

kk quad (1 min 33 sec)
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2010
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
To all who stuggles the pan/tilt controller: I will restore the software to its original 8MHz version, to be used on an unmodified controller.
thanks Kapteinkuk .
waiting for your code...
thanks
quaddynamics is offline Find More Posts by quaddynamics
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:02 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
I meant to post this with my previous flight video...

Here is a log of a recent flight. This is only half the story. I measured these stats on one battery, but i actually fly two in parallel. So the total amp draw is in the region of 25Amps. So thats just over 4amps per motor.. not bad for a Hex with a current AUW of 2kg (70oz) (yes i know its to heavy... i will be making some changes to lighten it )

Enjoy you graph fanatics
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:35 AM
jolly
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
hello kaptein,
i tried u r Pan/tilt stabilization,its not working with 16MHZ crystal...pls guide me
my processor is Atmega 168 and i set the fuse setting like these in pony prog

CkDiv8 unchecked(bit=1)
CKOUT unchecked(bit=1)
SUT1 unchecked(bit=1)
SUT0 unchecked(bit=1)
CKSEL3 unchecked(bit=1)
CKSEL2 unchecked(bit=1)
CKSEL1 unchecked(bit=1)
CKSEL0 unchecked(bit=1)

waiting for u r great post...
isrokavi is offline Find More Posts by isrokavi
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:38 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,721 Posts
Only 5.8 minutes total flight time with two lipos in parallel?? Definitely a bit heavy
Cheers
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenb View Post
I meant to post this with my previous flight video...

Here is a log of a recent flight. This is only half the story. I measured these stats on one battery, but i actually fly two in parallel. So the total amp draw is in the region of 25Amps. So thats just over 4amps per motor.. not bad for a Hex with a current AUW of 2kg (70oz) (yes i know its to heavy... i will be making some changes to lighten it )

Enjoy you graph fanatics
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:45 AM
mixed styles flight
central Florida USA
Joined Dec 2002
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewolff View Post
Some people are saying it's not much of a problem, and I don't know how I would be able to calculate WHEN it would become a problem but....

Your ESC will SUDDENLY require a serious current when it turns on a motor coil. The wires from the battery to the ESC function electronically as a coil (if you coil-up a wire it works more that way, but a straight wire works as well!). This means that if the current through the wire is now 0A, it cannot be 20A the next moment. It takes a while for the electrons to get going.

So, that's why there is this big capacitor on the ESC: It is closeby, and it will provide the current for the instant that the wire to the battery is not yet adapted to to the new current. Voltage will sag a bit but usually not so much as to be a problem.

Similarly if the ESC suddenly turns OFF a motor, the current will suddenly drop. But that wire is still transporting amps. It takes a while for the battery side of the wire to notice, so it will continue pumping those amps. Again this capacitor will take up the extra electrons. Voltage will spike a bit, but usually not so much that it's a problem.

The capacitor required to solve these problems depends on how much wire you have. So HK designed the ESC with a capacitor that works in the normal case. But if your wires are longer than "normal", that capacitor might not be enough.

Will the ESC blow up spectacularly if the capacitor is the problem? Yes! First the capacitor will be overloaded. Then as the capacitor degenerates especially the voltage spikes will become larger and larger. Once they hit 20V, the power-FETs are outside their safe operating area. They burn spectacularly. And again... once one goes, it will short and take its brother along with it....
That is the first time I've seen any attempt at the "why" of keeping the battery leads short on an ESC...thanks!

My longest battery lead runs to the second esc that smoked. There is 5" of paired battery wire in addition to 12" of paired 18AWG for the esc (17" total, 34" loop).

If I move the location of the front and back esc's, turn the battery around (allowing relocation of the plug) and extend all the motor leads, I can get that number down to 12" total for each of two of the esc's and 10" for the other. Would that be OK or will I need to also replace the caps?

My apologies for talking esc's here, but what I first wanted to know was if a malfunction in the controller board could smoke esc's. Thanks for the help.

BTW, the new esc's will be 18A, 3S battery and the continuous motor current should max out around 11Amps.
321 is offline Find More Posts by 321
Last edited by 321; Aug 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added esc, batt, motor specs
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Only 5.8 minutes total flight time with two lipos in parallel?? Definitely a bit heavy
Cheers
Jim
Hi Jim,

Yes, but... i have only used 55% of the capacity... I never like to go over 50%, i like to leave a safe margin.... Hex's dont bounce very well when they drop out of the sky
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:27 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,721 Posts
OK. ...that does make sense It is always good to be conservative with models that have glide slopes of a rock
Nice video too
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenb View Post
Hi Jim,

Yes, but... i have only used 55% of the capacity... I never like to go over 50%, i like to leave a safe margin.... Hex's dont bounce very well when they drop out of the sky
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Aug 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:12 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,128 Posts
I am looking for suggestions,
I just finished building a hex and on the maiden flight (motor timing low), there was considerable clicking. I flew the whole pack and did not have any other problems other than the clicking. I reset the timing to medium and the clicking was still there but seemed a bit muted in comparison. Again I flew 10 minutes with no other problems. I then set the timing to high and the clicking is almost gone in a hover but I can still hear some when the motors slow in yaw inputs.
I did notice on high timing the motors are running cooler but the speed controls seem hotter, measured by touch only.

Here is my setup;
Motors - RC timer 2830-14
ESC - RC timer 20 amp, same as Turnigy Plush
ready to fly - 1125 grams
flight time on 2200mah - 1011 minutes
cyhyam is online now Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:32 PM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
my little quad is coming along...

it weighs 325gr as it is in the pictures. 20cm center to motor.
MarcAntonio is offline Find More Posts by MarcAntonio
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:48 PM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Something for the wish list

Just something for the wish list please on the Quad controller, can we have camera pitch and yaw stabiliser on ports 5 and 6 please based on head up as opposed to heading hold?

Just a thought. Mike.
IWCoburg is offline Find More Posts by IWCoburg
RCG Plus Member