HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:42 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg View Post

What could cause this discrepancy? Is it normal?
All Atmel chips are not having the same frequency even you set it at 8Mhz. The frequency varies a little from chip to chip so it makes sense that in some boards you have to change the trim.
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Last edited by thanhTran; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:44 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Sep 2008
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
The ESC can only store one throttle range, so if you set from the controller it wipes out whatever you set earlier.
Yeah. I was trying to point out was that setting the throttle range through the controller makes sure all four ESCs are programmed identically. For some reason, the resulting throttle range was slightly different when I set them up separately.
Fulg is offline Find More Posts by Fulg
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Sep 2008
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
All Atmel chips are not having the same frequency even you set it at 8Mhz. The frequency varies a little from chip to chip so it makes sense that in some boards you have to changes the trim.
Right, that makes perfect sense... thanks for clearing that up! I can start trusting the board to my future tricopter now...

Cheers,
Ben.
Fulg is offline Find More Posts by Fulg
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:04 PM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Where do I find these little guys?

Hi folks,

Instead of soldering wires directly to the board, I'd like to put pins in for the channels.

Does anyone know where I can get these things? My LHS didn't have them, and neither did radio shack.

Thanks!
spag
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:06 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
...For some reason, the resulting throttle range was slightly different when I set them up separately.
I've seen that too. I think the same frequency issue causes that. Because of the different frequency, some chips don't calculate the neutral points of the aileron, elevator, and yaw correctly. So this adds into the control and causes some motor to run faster than other. I've posted some logic analyzer screen shots in this thread and you could see the pulses are not the same.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:08 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
Hi folks,
Does anyone know where I can get these things? My LHS didn't have them, and neither did radio shack.

Thanks!
spag
From your neighbor Digikey

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...9400E-01-36-ND

Sparkfun also has some.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:14 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Quote:
Congrats. Feels good, doesn't it

Are you using all CCW props? If so, you may not have angled your front/back motors enough (or too much). Popular angles are between 5 and 10 degrees clockwise (with the arm towards you), I presume it varies based on your prop size and motor strength. I had to experiment a bit with the angles before getting a non-yawing quad at 50% gain.

If you're using mixed CW/CCW props, then I have no idea.

Ben.
Using all ccw for the time being. I will mess with the angles some more.

Thanks.
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:36 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
Hi folks,

Instead of soldering wires directly to the board, I'd like to put pins in for the channels.

Thanks!
spag
how are you going to connect the rx? i thought about the same thing but i can't find any female-female extensions to go from the rx to the board, unless i have just missed them...

mouser has them too - http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...538-22-28-4125 these are 12 count units, so you may as well order quite a few - i am not sure how digi-key's shipping is but mouser's is ~$7 for the first pound - may want to add other items along w/ it.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:52 PM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Jakub, will you send me your free subscrition small frame soon?
Hi

No - I'll send it with new tri, and maybe other this week

Jakub
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:55 PM
Tinkerer
Earth
Joined Oct 2005
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
how are you going to connect the rx? i thought about the same thing but i can't find any female-female extensions to go from the rx to the board, unless i have just missed them...
You can find those here

BTW - off topic - handy flight time calculator here.
don_cocinero is offline Find More Posts by don_cocinero
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:08 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Hi again! I'd like to use a switch to control power from the battery. I plan on using 3S lipos, 20C to 30C. The speed controllers are Turnigy Plush 25A. Is this switch an appropriate choice?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=67-1934-ND
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:10 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Contact a member here named BD Flyer--he makes JST cables any way you want them. He does it crazy cheap and sends them out darn near before you realize you wanted them. They're awesome

Quote:

mouser has them too - http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...538-22-28-4125 these are 12 count units, so you may as well order quite a few - i am not sure how digi-key's shipping is but mouser's is ~$7 for the first pound - may want to add other items along w/ it.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:26 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
well, no longer a quad virgin took it out this evening -~8:45 - wind was ~10-15MPH and would come from all directions - is that enough wind to move it around? it stayed flat, but @ ~8' got moved around a bit more than i would have liked. also seemed a bit sluggish/loose if that makes sense.

running quad firmware 4.5, atv 50% roll, 50% pitch and 100% yaw, quad is 1048g, ~25" motor to motor center. pots all @ ~50%. would say i never used more than 1/2 throttle or if i did it was for a very short amount of time.

always came down on the landing gear so i am calling the first flight of it and me a success no flips or anything and it is more stable 2' above the ground compared to 3-4" couldn't get it trimmed due to the wind constantly changing directions.

hoping this weekend the school i flew @ will be vacant and i can fly in the daytime on one of the fields and not lose front arm orientation

no video due to lack of light
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Last edited by bob4432; Aug 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:53 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
manuLRK
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Last edited by alll; Aug 26, 2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:00 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
well, no longer a quad virgin
Awesome! Congratulation Yeah, in wind, the quad can be quite slow and does seem like it's not responding to your command.