HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:55 AM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
To those who are using the ziptie's to secure the propellers to the area backwards from motor shaft of the KDA or similar style:

1. Are you securing the hub to the motor by using those 4 little screws, or not needed since the zipties through the bell housing are strong enough?

2. Is the nut for the hub shaft needed when using zipties?
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2010, 05:47 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Sep 2008
57 Posts
Managed to get my KKquad up in the air today... This thing is awesome, so stable! Incredibly, it flew fine with default settings (V4.5). All pots are still at 50%.

The things I need to get used to are the instant throttle response and the slow yaw response. Then again I didn't change any pots (I was too happy flying!), but I remember reading about the slow yaw a few posts back, I'll go look and see. I'm using 4 CCW props and have yet to find the proper tilt for the front/back motors, I'm sure it's related...

Pics later (and maybe a boring video -- I'm VERY far from warthox in quad flying skill!).

Thank you Kaptein for making this available to us, this is so much fun to fly
Fulg is offline Find More Posts by Fulg
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:27 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg View Post
Managed to get my KKquad up in the air today... This thing is awesome, so stable! Incredibly, it flew fine with default settings (V4.5). All pots are still at 50%.

The things I need to get used to are the instant throttle response and the slow yaw response. Then again I didn't change any pots (I was too happy flying!), but I remember reading about the slow yaw a few posts back, I'll go look and see. I'm using 4 CCW props and have yet to find the proper tilt for the front/back motors, I'm sure it's related...

Pics later (and maybe a boring video -- I'm VERY far from warthox in quad flying skill!).

Thank you Kaptein for making this available to us, this is so much fun to fly
congratulations.

Regarding 4 CCW props (tilted) and slow yaw response. I have the same issue and I had hoped it would get better with my version 2 frame which is slightly lighter and also has smaller motor-to-motor distance than my first frame. Sadly, I didn't notice much difference with regards to yaw response, it is still fairly slow. I also seem to have a bit of interaction with other axes when yawing. It is not a problem when flying circles or figure eights, but I can't seem to pirouette and stay in one place (as I can do with my 450 heli).

I'm not sure whether this is an effect caused by the tilted rotors and not having them set up exactly correctly.

This is the only quad I have ever flown so I can't compare it to a quad that ha s counter rotating props. It would be nice to hear whether those who have tried both tilted CCW and CW/CCW setups on the same frame noticed a significant difference in yaw speed.
OpticalFlow is offline Find More Posts by OpticalFlow
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:47 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
V4.5 and Futaba PCM1024

Hi,
Anyone tested the Quad V4.5 with Futaba PCM1024 (non 2.4g)? Today we transfer the qorking Quad and use the Futaba PCM 1024 8ch receiver, result is not able to ARM the unit.

The KK board was working with Spektrum w/o any issue.

Any advise will ge great.

Thanks,
Dan
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:29 AM
Speed is our friend...
Germany
Joined May 2005
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8666 View Post
Hi,
Anyone tested the Quad V4.5 with Futaba PCM1024 (non 2.4g)? Today we transfer the qorking Quad and use the Futaba PCM 1024 8ch receiver, result is not able to ARM the unit.

The KK board was working with Spektrum w/o any issue.

Any advise will ge great.

Thanks,
Dan
With futaba radio, throttle is reverse... Did you change.

Peter
siberian is offline Find More Posts by siberian
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian View Post
With futaba radio, throttle is reverse... Did you change.

Peter
It is 7C. Yes, channel reversed. I am using 12FG and 617 w/o any issue as well. Just not sure why the PCM 1024 is not able to arm.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:53 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Do you use 1X or 4X output? I'm using 1X outputs and I'm happy with them

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2077

-Thanh
Hi Thanh,
I am going to test out the 550AL as well. So you just do stock setup and no issue at all?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:09 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8666 View Post
It is 7C. Yes, channel reversed. I am using 12FG and 617 w/o any issue as well. Just not sure why the PCM 1024 is not able to arm.
Have you try to trim the throttle down (maybe 3 ticks) a bit?
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
I got a populated non-smd board (v6 I think) with gyros installed from Niall, it was fully programmed (for quad, firmware v4.5) and tested by him. I've done the following:
- installed the 4 motor & esc and connect to the flight controller board according to the guide from here
- have done the ESC throttle range
- have done the checking with transmitter channels

I have a trouble with the roll gyro directions, the pitch and yaw gyro behave correctly.
Somehow if I tilt the right motor, none of the motor would speed up, but if I tilt the left motor the left motor would speed up (behave correctly). I've tried to reverse the roll gyro, pretty much the same thing (only the reverse). I've also tried to move the motor+esc around, just in case if I have bad motors. Do I have a bad roll gyro or is there a step that I haven't done? Thanks.

Wim
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Last edited by ddmt; Aug 22, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:28 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,038 Posts
One thing I am having a problem with is the throttle is to sensitive to change
with my tricopter I can flatten out the throttle curve so there is a larger hover spot. Anyway to do this on the Acro setting running my a
quad?

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
Have you try to trim the throttle down (maybe 3 ticks) a bit?
@dt8666
I'd advise the same, with my Futaba 9CHP I was only able to arm it by changing the throttle trim. The standard position doesn't work.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
ok, need some assistance.

setup--

radio:
futaba 6ex 2.4GHz w/ throttle (ch 3) reversed, yaw: 100%, pitch and roll both 50% on both of their axis. rx is a 606fs.

motors:
rctimer 2830-14 750KV

escs:
rctimer (hobbwing) turnigy plush clones (from what i have read)

batt:
3s2200mAh turnigy - topped off before the testing started - charger verified a final "full" V of 12.6V

kk controller:
smt v5 w/ a fresh flash of quad 4.4 firmware (fresh flash, fuses checked) (no arm/disarm in this firmware)

issue:
have everything hooked up as per the diagram on page 1 of this thread, i have programmed the escs w/ a turnigy programmng card and they program correctly and can be verified w/ the programming card. i have also programmed the esc throttle endpoint individually w/ the esc connecting directly to the rx and they have a linear throttle curve. all 4 sound close to the same speed - i don't have a tach so i can't verify the actual rpm, but when just connected into the rx, they all start at approx the same tx throttle position and act the same, etc.

while going through setup, i have done this first:

at this point, the led blinks continually w/out any input from the tx (not 10blinks but continually, so not sure about that), i put the pot back to 50% and continue on w/ the setup.

i have the tx set so that pitch (elevator (both up and down)): 50%, roll (aileron (both left and right)): 50% & yaw (rudder): 100%. all pots are @ 50%.

i then go into the esc throttle range setup and follow these directions exactly:

after this has been performed, everything appears ok, or so i think. as soon as i touch the throttle, probably 1-2%, the 4 motors seem to go to 75% (they could be anywhere between 50% and 100% - i can't really tell but they are in sync and running quickly - glad i haven't put the props on yet ) and stay at that level w/ no response from the tx other than if i lower it the tiny bit it is up, then the motors shut off. i elected to go through the throttle range set again, did the same thing but stayed in the programming mode after the final beep and had full linear throttle response. as soon as i remove the batt to the quad, turn the yaw pot back to 50% as instructed, reconnect the batt to see if anything else needs adjusting, i get the same issue - as soon as the throttle is touched, the motors go to ~75% and have no throttle response other than on or off - nothing in between.

i did go through the reversal of the pots, attempted the throttle setup up again and got the same results.

last, the led stays lit the whole time when not in a programming mode - no blink when moving any of the sticks whether it be throttle, rudder, aileron or elevator. also, when i physically move the quad i can't really verify if the motors change as their sound does not, so if they are changing speed, it is minimal.

any ideas?

fwiw - i had built a 2nd controller and verified the Vs between the 2 in multiple spots and they were near identical. the same parts were used. the 2nd one went to cncguns and his is working very well, so i am very sure the board itself is g2g electrically.
Could not having the props installed cause a problem like this?

Justin
cncguns is offline Find More Posts by cncguns
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:09 PM
NL
Joined Nov 2009
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticalFlow View Post
Regarding 4 CCW props (tilted) and slow yaw response. ...... Sadly, I didn't notice much difference with regards to yaw response, it is still fairly slow.
So you have two motors tilted, and the other two straight, right?

To get twice the yaw speed, tilt the two motors, that are straight the same amount as the other two, but in the opposite direction.

Next tilt the other two motors that were already tilted TWICE as much as they used to be....

Good luck!
rewolff is offline Find More Posts by rewolff
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
I got a populated non-smd board (v6 I think) with gyros installed from Niall, it was fully programmed (for quad, firmware v4.5) and tested by him. I've done the following:
- installed the 4 motor & esc and connect to the flight controller board according to the guide from here
- have done the ESC throttle range
- have done the checking with transmitter channels

I have a trouble with the roll gyro directions, the pitch and yaw gyro behave correctly.
Somehow if I tilt the right motor, none of the motor would speed up, but if I tilt the left motor the left motor would speed up (behave correctly). I've tried to reverse the roll gyro, pretty much the same thing (only the reverse). I've also tried to move the motor+esc around, just in case if I have bad motors. Do I have a bad roll gyro or is there a step that I haven't done? Thanks.

Wim
Hi Wim,

You mentioned you tried to reverse that gyro by turning that pot fully clockwise before plugging in the battery. Have you tried this by turning the pot fully anticlockwise before plugging the battery in (To get it into gyro reversing mode).

Cheers,

Niall
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:34 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
ok ive definitly done the last flight today with my kk quad. now its time for jakubs frame its waiting.
i tried to kill this thing today but it still flies

here are the last pics of my quad after 1.5month of really hard usage. after u've seen the videos, which i'll upload the next few days, u wont believe that i only broke 2 props in that time the epp 8x4.5 props are absolutly great. i can highly recommend these props!

more pics on my homepage http://warthox.bplaced.net

- markus
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox