HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:25 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgcnc View Post
Did you look at the reviews on the above link?

...you will hear the 4 programmable variables

1. Cell Type.
2. Brake.
3. Timing Mode.
4. Cutoff Voltage."

You might want to read more reviews on the site, as some people seem to have written instructions on the programing....
Thanks.
Yeah, I saw those info. They didn't have the programming option for throttle type (like fixed, auto calibrate, or governor like that of those higher end ESC's.) That's why I mentioned it didn't have throttle settings in my earlier post.

Thanks

-Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:01 AM
calicut
Joined Feb 2010
16 Posts
do i need to connect all Vcc ,that is all or do i have to give some external vcc.??

and how about 5v supply
nitc is offline Find More Posts by nitc
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:12 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Here is what the debug says when I un-commented the "rcall ShowChannels"

With Berg6 RX: 0005 0013 0003 0017 0035
With spektrum: 000B 0019 0006 0019 0037

They look almost identical. The reading of channel 3 varies from 0003+ - 005C+ for both receivers when I move the throttle stick. I'm trying to debug the code with AVRStudio. Sometimes, during single stepping, the board armed correctly. I'm not familiar with AVR assembly. Not just assembly alone, your math library is so advance to me, and I just couldn't figure out some of the codes there

ldi t,high(int(@1+0x8000)-0x8000)
ldi t,high(int(frac(@1)*0x10000+0x10000)-0x10000)

Apart from thinking you are trying to get the integer and fraction part of the numbers, what do they actually do? What do we get when we add the second param (says, 20, or 100) to 0x8000 and then substract with 0x8000? And why 8000 and 10000?

anyway, I'm going to try out your V4. Thanks very much

-Thanh
The throttle channel should go down to 0000. Lower your trim.

The two lines above converts a float to a 16.16 bit 2s complement binary number.
First line converts the integer part to a integer. The reason to add 0x8000 is to move the number (-0x7fff to 0x7fff) into the positive only range (0x0000 to 0xffff) becouse the INT() does not give correct answer with negative numbers. (The zero area gets double the size.) Then 0x8000 is subtracted to get the number back in place.

exsamples:
int(5.6) gives 5 (correct)
int(0.9) gives 0 (correct)
int(-0.9) gives 0 (incorrect should be -1)
int(-5.6) gives -5 (incorrect, should be -6)

int(-0.9+10)-10 gives -1 (correct)
int(-5.6+10)-10 gives -6 (correct)

The second line converts the fractional part into 1/0x100000 parts.
A fractional part of 0.5 gives 0x8000 witch is the correct 16.16 bit binary reperesentation of the decimal fraction 0.5. The second moves the number into the positive domain as above for correct convertion into a integer. 3rd moves it back.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:14 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigar View Post
Hi.
Thanks for your great job.
Is it possible to edit the first post and put there all the updates and info? Also any pcb plans and parts list. It would be great to keep track of changes just from looking the first post.
Just a thought.
Thanks again.
I will try to update the first post.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:17 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
Thank you again

My first test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwx2frO0fpc

Jakub
Looks good, Thanks!

How about better video of your quad?
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:20 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
THANK YOU KAPTEINKUK!!!

Now I need to go find some Capacitors, and do the changes to the board, and get flying again!

160Hz Sounds really good!! Can't wait to try this out!

GOOD JOB!!!
Thanks
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:26 AM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Looks good, Thanks!

How about better video of your quad?
I'll try to ask my friend with Canon 5DII to make better video

J.
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:30 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Great news about the release of v4.

I'll take more time to get mine running I noticed that i missed the 4.7k resistor so I ordered some yesterday and today i find that i need .068uF cap's!

Ntw, if anyone is going to assemble it in a proto board please share the layout, as that's the only way I have to do it and that will avoid me making some mistake. Thanks!
Note, it is 0.68uF not 0.068.

The RC filter have a time constant of 4.6ms, wich is a long one, but it filters out motor vibrations very well.

I forgot to mention that my testquad have croocked propell adapters (Do not trust those all those hobbycity reviews ) and vibrates a bit, making the V3 unstable, but it is completely still with the V4.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:32 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Lowie first thing make sure the clocktest.hex is for the chip you are trying to program. Last I recall you were going to use atmega88 and a hex file is specific to the chip it is written for. KapteinKuk may have written it for the atmega48 but I do not know for sure. In the meantime what chip are you going to use? What version of the software are you going to try (V2,V3,V4)? I will try to burn V4 tonight using avrdude just to see.
The clocktest.hex works on all AVR's
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:37 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
I tried the V4 on my board. It worked. The high refresh rate almost burned my test servos because they kept moving back & forth so quickly

I tried with all 4 ESC's & motors. They seemed to response very well with the movement of the frame. AWESOME!

I then played with the throttle. I noticed that if I kept making throttle movement between 0% and a tiny bit that motors start moving, at sometimes, one of the motors would stop and not start even if I move throttle all the way up. Many time, unplug the battery and replug the battery would make all 4 motors working again. I'm not sure if it's the ESC problem or the controller problem. Anyone seeing this? I'm using 4 old BL ESC's I bought from HobbyCity couple years back. Not sure if it's programmable or not.

Thanks Kaptein very much for your hard work! Thanks everyone for your help!
Thanks
What is the ESC's called?
I am pretty sure you need new ESC's Try the turnigy plush series from hobbycity and then run the throttle calibration.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:44 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Hello Kapteinkuk,

I was trying to make sense of your code, but I am not very god at assembly

Question I have, is how hard would it be to modify the code a bit, so that we can have an X configuration for the Quad, as compared to only a + ?

In other words, for example, for pitch, in X mode, if we pitch back, BOTH motors move, and so on....the quad will be oriented in an X configuration, which makes it much easier to attach a camera between the legs...

Do you think this is very hard to change in your code? i think it would be just a matter of moving the right motors with commands, and then orienting the gyros properly on the axes....

Thank you again for this wonderful project!

Just use the elevon (flying wing) mix on your radio. Controller stays in same orientation.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:48 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitc View Post
do i need to connect all Vcc ,that is all or do i have to give some external vcc.??

and how about 5v supply
The 5V comes from the ESC's.

Connect the VCC's together.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:29 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,589 Posts
Quote:
The clocktest.hex works on all AVR's
Thanks kapteinKuk. I wasn't sure if it had anything special mapped for just the atmega48. Do you know what the minimum voltage the gyro modules need to operate? Will they operate on 3.3V?
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:38 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Thanks kapteinKuk. I wasn't sure if it had anything special mapped for just the atmega48. Do you know what the minimum voltage the gyro modules need to operate? Will they operate on 3.3V?
Hi

Gyros work from 2.7 to 5.25 Vdc see datasheet here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...9&d=1259286700

Cheers
Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:12 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Note, it is 0.68uF not 0.068.

The RC filter have a time constant of 4.6ms, wich is a long one, but it filters out motor vibrations very well.

I forgot to mention that my testquad have croocked propell adapters (Do not trust those all those hobbycity reviews ) and vibrates a bit, making the V3 unstable, but it is completely still with the V4.
Opxx... thanks! I misplaced the '0'.
I've edited my post to avoid misleading anyone.

So you mean that reason for this new caps is to "trim" the gyros output by filtering the induced vibration caused by the motors?
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind