Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:08 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
I think I have busted a few brain cells, but here is the new V4

The good news:

- Works with any 4 channel or more reciever. Any channel order.
- Higher control loop frequency, 160Hz, much more stable.

One drawback is hardware changes:

- Reciever connect to different pins than V3. It had to be done to use the external interrupts.
- Had to add 3 capacitors to act as gyro filters. (forming a RC filter with the 6800 Ohm resistor on the gyro boards) My software filter did not perform good enough due to slow hardware.

I tested it on my smallest quad, which was a bit unstable. Now I could double the gain without oscillations and it is rock stable!

Video will follow.
Hi.
Thanks for your great job.
Is it possible to edit the first post and put there all the updates and info? Also any pcb plans and parts list. It would be great to keep track of changes just from looking the first post.
Just a thought.
Thanks again.
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Last edited by tigar; Apr 05, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:00 AM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,743 Posts
Quote:
I think I have busted a few brain cells, but here is the new V4 ...

Thank you again

My first test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwx2frO0fpc

Jakub
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:17 AM
The Drones are Coming!!!
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
499 Posts
Quote:
I think I have busted a few brain cells, but here is the new V4

The good news:

- Works with any 4 channel or more reciever. Any channel order.
- Higher control loop frequency, 160Hz, much more stable.
THANK YOU KAPTEINKUK!!!

Now I need to go find some Capacitors, and do the changes to the board, and get flying again!

160Hz Sounds really good!! Can't wait to try this out!

GOOD JOB!!!
cyborgcnc is offline Find More Posts by cyborgcnc
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:18 AM
The Drones are Coming!!!
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
Thank you again

My first test

Jakub
Jakub, Congratulations!!!

Your Quad looks really nice, and judging from the first step, VERY VERY stable....Looks like V4 board is going to be a hit!!
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:53 AM
Ourense, Spain
Joined Nov 2005
48 Posts
Hi, i made the new V4 pcb, only a few modifications needed. Im still waiting for the atmega and the Gyros.... Very good news the new 160Hz frequency.
Nice first time test Jakub!! very stable!
For the ad-ons, maybe presussure sensor, camera stabilization jeje
Thanks a lot.
Telmo
zotfidjy is offline Find More Posts by zotfidjy
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:34 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Great news about the release of v4.

I'll take more time to get mine running I noticed that i missed the 4.7k resistor so I ordered some yesterday and today i find that i need 0.68uF cap's!

Ntw, if anyone is going to assemble it in a proto board please share the layout, as that's the only way I have to do it and that will avoid me making some mistake. Thanks!
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Last edited by IceWind; Apr 06, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:59 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowie View Post
My gui for avrdude programmer still gives an error:

clocktest : 1 unrecognized caracter: ":"

WHAT MUST I DO?

Thanks Lowie
Lowie first thing make sure the clocktest.hex is for the chip you are trying to program. Last I recall you were going to use atmega88 and a hex file is specific to the chip it is written for. KapteinKuk may have written it for the atmega48 but I do not know for sure. In the meantime what chip are you going to use? What version of the software are you going to try (V2,V3,V4)? I will try to burn V4 tonight using avrdude just to see.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:09 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
I tried the V4 on my board. It worked. The high refresh rate almost burned my test servos because they kept moving back & forth so quickly

I tried with all 4 ESC's & motors. They seemed to response very well with the movement of the frame. AWESOME!

I then played with the throttle. I noticed that if I kept making throttle movement between 0% and a tiny bit that motors start moving, at sometimes, one of the motors would stop and not start even if I move throttle all the way up. Many time, unplug the battery and replug the battery would make all 4 motors working again. I'm not sure if it's the ESC problem or the controller problem. Anyone seeing this? I'm using 4 old BL ESC's I bought from HobbyCity couple years back. Not sure if it's programmable or not.

Thanks Kaptein very much for your hard work! Thanks everyone for your help!
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:32 PM
The Drones are Coming!!!
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
I then played with the throttle. I noticed that if I kept making throttle movement between 0% and a tiny bit that motors start moving, at sometimes, one of the motors would stop and not start even if I move throttle all the way up. Many time, unplug the battery and replug the battery would make all 4 motors working again. I'm not sure if it's the ESC problem or the controller problem. Anyone seeing this? I'm using 4 old BL ESC's I bought from HobbyCity couple years back. Not sure if it's programmable or not.

Thanks Kaptein very much for your hard work! Thanks everyone for your help!
Well, you need to determine is the ESC are programmable or not, because you might need to calibrate their throttle settings. If some start later than others, then that is usually a sign that the throttle is not calibrated correctly.

Try this and see if it works:

-REMOVE the props!!
-Take the YAW Pot, and turn it ALL THE WAY down...
-Connect power
-The LED on the board will blink fast
-Disconnect power
-Turn TX on, and move throttle ALL THE way to top
-Connect power to board
-Wait to see if you hear two beeps
-Move throttle all the way down (right after the two beeps)

Hopefully, now throttle is calculated..install all props again, and go flying..

:-)
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:36 PM
The Drones are Coming!!!
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
499 Posts
X configuration, as compared to +

Hello Kapteinkuk,

I was trying to make sense of your code, but I am not very god at assembly

Question I have, is how hard would it be to modify the code a bit, so that we can have an X configuration for the Quad, as compared to only a + ?

In other words, for example, for pitch, in X mode, if we pitch back, BOTH motors move, and so on....the quad will be oriented in an X configuration, which makes it much easier to attach a camera between the legs...

Do you think this is very hard to change in your code? i think it would be just a matter of moving the right motors with commands, and then orienting the gyros properly on the axes....

Thank you again for this wonderful project!

Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:46 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,681 Posts
cyborg if I remember right from the other thread, with a new radio you only need to turn on mix and turn your board 45 degrees CCW I believe to get X. I will have to look that up again becuase it can be very useful.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:13 PM
The Drones are Coming!!!
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
cyborg if I remember right from the other thread, with a new radio you only need to turn on mix and turn your board 45 degrees CCW I believe to get X. I will have to look that up again becuase it can be very useful.
AAhhh...that DOES make sense!

I see where you are coming from....the thing is that I think this will work with the new board/code, but maybe not with the old one, because of the calculations it does...since the new board uses all four channels, I see exactly where you are coming from.....so a roll command for example, will mix in one of the pitch motors....However, thinking more about it, I can do that with the TX, but will the code do the same for the gyros? In other words, instead of moving only one motor, the code needs to command TWO motors, based on gyro feedback.....not sure if I am making sense, or that I fully understand it....

Regardless, thank you very much for that, I think I am going to have to give it a try soon when I am back home.... (Damn work!! )
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:53 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,681 Posts
Lowie I just used avrdude-GUI to burn a atmega168 so the software is ok if setup like I previously posted. You do need netframework 2.0 installed. I have posted this pic of burning a 168 with a usb programmer to give you the general idea. The fuses appear to be the same for atmega88. Remove the -F command line option, it is used to bypass chip signature check on my setup. Hope it helps.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:11 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgcnc View Post
Well, you need to determine is the ESC are programmable or not, because you might need to calibrate their throttle settings. If some start later than others, then that is usually a sign that the throttle is not calibrated correctly.

:-)
The ESC's I'm using are TowerPro ESC. The ESC & motor are this item (I bought them when I saw some of the original QuadroCoper projects were using them).

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...047_Prop_Combo

I looked, and they didn't have programmable settings for throttle. I'll try the controller throttle calibration sequence you listed to see if it helps. Thanks Cyborg!

-Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Drones are Coming!!!
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
The ESC's I'm using are TowerPro ESC. The ESC & motor are this item (I bought them when I saw some of the original QuadroCoper projects were using them).

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...047_Prop_Combo

I looked, and they didn't have programmable settings for throttle. I'll try the controller throttle calibration sequence you listed to see if it helps. Thanks Cyborg!

-Thanh
Did you look at the reviews on the above link?

here is what some folks did:

"very easy to setup by moving throttle to max.
detailed instructions can found in reviews all over the Internet and this site.

1. Turn on the transmitter and move throttle full .
2. Connect battery to the speed controller assuming the motor is connected to the esc.
after one second you will hear a series of "beeps".

after the self check "melody"
you will hear the 4 programmable variables

1. Cell Type.
2. Brake.
3. Timing Mode.
4. Cutoff Voltage."

You might want to read more reviews on the site, as some people seem to have written instructions on the programing....