HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:09 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticalFlow View Post
Just a quick question: I have ordered pretty much all the parts to build the controller board on perf board - except for the LM317. I have a 7805 voltage regulator lying around, is there any reason (such as interference) that I couldn't use that instead of the LM317. Another alternative I have lying around is a 5V Ubec.
nevermind, I just figured out that the LM317 isn't configured to have 5V output
OpticalFlow is offline Find More Posts by OpticalFlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 09:52 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Do you have screen shot of the programmer software that you use? (press ALT-PrntScrn after you high light Programmer window and paste that picture out in paint program). Or link to it?

EEprom usually stores variables, settings, and not the program itself. It's not big enough to store the flight controller program either. Even if a program fit in it, the ATMEL won't load the code from EEPROM to run. The program (like clock test or the flight controller) is supposed to go to flash
thanhTran,
Thanks for looking at this, I am trying to put off buying a $34.00 programmer if it is absolutely necessary.

Name: fuse calcs.jpg
Views: 731
Size: 68.5 KB
Description: Name: extremeburner ss1.jpg
Views: 275
Size: 60.5 KB
Description: Name: extremeburner ss2.jpg
Views: 212
Size: 117.3 KB
Description: Name: extremeburner ss3.jpg
Views: 760
Size: 117.1 KB
Description: Name: extremeburner ss4.jpg
Views: 219
Size: 115.7 KB
Description: Name: extremeburner ss5.jpg
Views: 295
Size: 124.9 KB
Description: Name: extremeburner ss6.jpg
Views: 346
Size: 121.3 KB
Description:
Here are the screen shots, if you need more let me know.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Last edited by cyhyam; Jul 06, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:02 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
58 Posts
Are the EMAX2822 the same as the FC28-22 from Hobbyking?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5354
The specs look identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
Hi

Yesterday I was measure my new motor - RC-Timer 750KV:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&spec_id=145

Results - almost no vibrations, very nice looking ,
high overal build quality, and high eficiency - little lower
than Turnigy 2213 but much higher than EMAX 2822.

I was found my new motors
Unfortunatelly I have only one and will wait 3 weeks for more

I will prepare all my new frames for this motors (Emax 2822 too).

Jakub
Klaassie is offline Find More Posts by Klaassie
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:03 AM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaassie View Post
Are the EMAX2822 the same as the FC28-22 from Hobbyking?
The specs look identical.
I think so.

J.
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:07 AM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
OK guys,

I have added some new and exciting functionality to the website. www.kkmulticopter.com

For new users, you can add information on your multicopter from the registration page. This includes things like multicopter version, firmware, AUW, maxumum payload, maximum flight time etc.

For existing users you just login, click on "member profile" in the user menu on the left, click on Edit /Update profile, and then just add all your info.

There is also a members video and photo gallery where you can upload some pics of your multicopter, FPV videos, Aerial photography etc.

Once uploaded, the videos and photos are linked to your multicopter profile for others to see.

Please report back any bugs you come across, or additions and changes you can think of.
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:17 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
thanhTran,
Thanks for looking at this, I am trying to put off buying a $34.00 programmer if it is absolutely necessary.

Attachment 3343706 Attachment 3343678 Attachment 3343662 Attachment 3343663 Attachment 3343664 Attachment 3343665 Attachment 3343666
Here are the screen shots, if you need more let me know.

Thanks for those screen shots Cyhyam! That's too many but is really useful . I assume the first screen shot was just a sample and not the actual settings you chose (because I see the clkdiv8 bit set).

Could you please try this:
1. Erasing the chip by clicking on the button with the yellow asterisk
2. Go to the "Fuse bits/settings" tab, Click on the "Read all" to see what kind of fuse your chip is currently has. Please give us a screen shot of the result if possible.

3. Still in this tab, type in the values you calculated, and check on the box that has low, high, extend. Don't check the boxes that write "lock fuse" and "calibration". And then click "Write". I assume this will write the fuse only. If not then click on "Write", and then "Write fuse bits and lock bits".

4. If the fuses are written at step 3 above, then go ahead load the clock test (how did you compile that?) And then click on "Write", "Write Flash" like you did earlier.

5. If the program still reports error, please exit it, and then rerun it, and click on the "read all", and please show us the screen shots of the "Flash" and "Fuse bits/Settings" tabs.

Please let us know how it goes

-Thanh

ps. I suspected that you didn't actually write the fuse bits and settings, and thus the programs probably has some problem reading it back
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:37 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Apr 2008
17 Posts
cyhyam,

Your screen captures are copies of my experience. I have banged around with so many pieces of software with no luck I am not sure which way is up anymore. However, I did manage to read the Lock Bits (I think,) and this may be our problem.
The first line says it all. If this is true, then how do we unlock the darn thing, or, is it simpler to buy a new chip?

BTW, this is from Khazama AVR Programmer.exe.

Thanks,
Yorbid
Yorbid is online now Find More Posts by Yorbid
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:02 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
OK guys,

I have added some new and exciting functionality to the website. www.kkmulticopter.com

For new users, you can add information on your multicopter from the registration page. This includes things like multicopter version, firmware, AUW, maxumum payload, maximum flight time etc.

For existing users you just login, click on "member profile" in the user menu on the left, click on Edit /Update profile, and then just add all your info.

There is also a members video and photo gallery where you can upload some pics of your multicopter, FPV videos, Aerial photography etc.

Once uploaded, the videos and photos are linked to your multicopter profile for others to see.

Please report back any bugs you come across, or additions and changes you can think of.

hey niall,

u've done a great job! i've already added my pics and video

markus
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
hey niall,

u've done a great job! i've already added my pics and video

markus
Thanks Markus,

Your Tri video was really good. Nice to see some content there.

Cheers,

Niall
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:35 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,586 Posts
I am too old for command line also. After you get WinAvr set up (avrdude) you then extract the avrdude-GUI folder into the WinAvr folder. avrdude-GUI is the user friendly interface. You have to make sure you have netframework2.0 and usb libraries installed for it to work. They are listed in the readme file of avrdude-GUI. Something else to try before buying another programmer. With your lockbits set to FF I don't think you have locked the chip. avrdude-GUI is here on rcgroups.

link to avrdude-gui
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2484012
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2484011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
When I used the fuse calculator;
http://www.engbedded.com/cgi-bin/fcx...&V_EXTENDED=FF
I first took the default values and “divide clock by 8” was checked giving me the low-62, when I unchecked it then low was E2.

I looked at AVRDude software but it is command line and I haven’t messed with that since I had a TRS80, I need something more user friendly.

I think the extreme burner could do it if I got the right settings. It reads the chip, sets the fuses, all with no glitches. Only when I try to load the clock program it has a problem.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Last edited by pug398; Jul 06, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:11 PM
Norway Haugesund
Joined Jun 2010
329 Posts
Hello

I ordered today some equipment for three quad's I'm going to setup for me and my friends.
My setup so far is Jakub J frames (foldable) and his quad control board.

The engine and esc ordered from hobby king.

12 pcs off the TowerPro 9g w12A Brushless Speed Controller
12 pcs off the FC 28-22 Brushless Outrunner 1200kv

So my question is what props I use for this setup?
Someone who has the same setup and that can come with tips?

I got tips from Jakub to use these esc but are they really big enough?
Should I preferred a bigger esc?

Sorry for all the questions but it is a bit baffling to me hehe.
culexus is offline Find More Posts by culexus
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:15 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by culexus View Post
Hello

I ordered today some equipment for three quad's I'm going to setup for me and my friends.
My setup so far is Jakub J frames (foldable) and his quad control board.

The engine and esc ordered from hobby king.

12 pcs off the TowerPro 9g w12A Brushless Speed Controller
12 pcs off the FC 28-22 Brushless Outrunner 1200kv

So my question is what props I use for this setup?
Someone who has the same setup and that can come with tips?

I got tips from Jakub to use these esc but are they really big enough?
Should I preferred a bigger esc?

Sorry for all the questions but it is a bit baffling to me hehe.
i think jakub uses the emax 2822 which is pretty much the same motor as you ordered and i think the same escs - ask him what he uses as he seems to have a good rep and his stuff looks top notch. whatever he says i would go w/.

his setup may be my 2nd quad
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:44 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
I have them on mine. They are quite nice & very smooth, almost no vibration, but they are a bit fragile I think. So buy some spare. In some hard landing that my quad experienced the motor and the base were separated. The thread of the stator was stripped (too fine threads). I tried to glue back with green loctile, but I'm not so confident until I got some spare coming in.
Thank you. Good to know that the base and motor have fine threads. I will have to figure out a mounting system for the motor to not break if I crash.
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:47 AM
NL
Joined Nov 2009
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticalFlow View Post
nevermind, I just figured out that the LM317 isn't configured to have 5V output
That's not all. It is also used to get much more noise-free voltage reference than an UBEC would be able to provide. (because those are usually "switching").
rewolff is offline Find More Posts by rewolff
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:51 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,006 Posts
I want to give a BIG THANKS to thanhTran, I talked to him on the phone today and many times through email, he was very very helpful discovering some things I had overlooked.

When I loaded the clocktest.hex file into the program the codes showed up in line 000000 – 000030. When I tried to load it to the chip, even though it failed the load, it showed up in line 000080 – 0000B0. We are not sure why it skipped several lines before writing, maybe something in the fuses, don’t know.

Anyway I tried to load the TricopterV1_2M168_M328.hex and it exhibited the same start offset, (lines skipped before writing).

At this point I tried to read the chip and got errors, (power on failed). The chip is still getting 4.9 volts on pin 4 so something else is wrong.

I have a AVR INSystem mkII ordered and it will be here Thursday and I think I will put things on hold until then.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam