HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:02 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
If they are the 2830-14 750kv they are the most efficent combo with 10" I have found so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
2213 looks promising. Efficiency exactly like TP2410-09
but much better quality (bearings etc).

Turnigy 2213 / TowerPro 2410-09 need <> 2A to lift 250g
comparing to <> 3A for Emax 2822 motors.

Unfortunatelly TP2410 has bad build quality

I have one RC-Timer 1200kv - build quality very good
efficiency little better than Emax 2822.
Now I'm waiting for on 750kv RC-Timer for tests...

Jakub
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:04 AM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
If they are the 2830-14 750kv they are the most efficent combo with 10" I have found so far.
Yes, it is 2830-14

Jakub
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:22 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
They are even more efficient with 12" but the static current draw is over what the motor is rated at. I think it pulled 18A and the motor is rated at 6-7 constant. If I remember right the efficiency with 10" was 10.2 g/w.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:26 AM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,731 Posts
Quote:
They are even more efficient with 12" but the static current draw is over what the motor is rated at. I think it pulled 18A and the motor is rated at 6-7.
Most important for me is how many A need to pull up 300-400g
not maximum trust... Did you measure this motor?

J.
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Cheap, aren't they? Is the quality actually OK? Just wondering how many I should order to get a good set - some Keda hacker styles I got recently I ordered 12, needed 10, and had 2 with problems (Which was kind of what I was expecting).
jim80 is offline Find More Posts by jim80
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:45 AM
multi-rotor man
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2002
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
(snip)As you see it is set up for X mode. Delta wing mixing in TX. Flies fine!

However I have been tinkering with the Copilot2, and as far as I can see it does not provide delta mixing onboard, meaning that I then have to fly + mode to use Copilot or other similar systems.(snip)

Jussi
I think you should be able to run an external elevon mixer after the Copilot. This would allow you to run zero mixing from theTx and use the Copilot. Of course it would mean an addition component to carry.

Alfred
arrio is offline Find More Posts by arrio
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmelle View Post
I checked gyros "direction" and all gyros are OK as the quad behaviour is correct when holding it in hands and faking direction changes (to front, to left, to right, to back and rotating CW or CCW).

I lowered gain to have it flyable but for now, I have little success as if gain is too low, the quad goes to reverse pot or update throttle range.

Is there any explanation of LED behaviour in some recap ? I noticed that :
- in gyro inversion it stays off after quick blinking
- in throttle range, it stays also off but without any blinking
- in normal mode after intialization (beep), LED stays on when receiving PPM signal but is off if no signal is received

This could help troubleshooting for some poeple ...

What is the size of your quad? And what is the throttle position for hovering?

The led behavior is descibed in the 1st post. During normal powerup the led only lights if the throttle is low for several seconds.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Here is the most recent addition to my KK-quad! A "Flexi-lander"....

Made from 3 and 5 mm carbon tubes, 90 class heli ball links, and Clevis arm for planes - all Hobbyking stuff

Heatshrink and CA to seal the 5MM tube and keep it from splitting.

the whole landing gear is hinged on the ends from Guru-Z fiberframe landing gear. Those are very flexible and tough. This setup means that whole gear can flex on impact and act like a shock-absorber. I piled 3 kg on top and it easily took that load

Everything is pressfitted together. I applied a tiny drop of CA to some of the 3 mm inserts and let it dry to provide a strong fit between the two tubes. There are four M3 screws holding the crossmembers....

Next order of business is a camera gimbal for medium camcorders and small DSLRs. But it will have to wait until the CNC mill is up and running......I might try my hands at a simple fixed camera mount until then...

Kaptein....

As you see it is set up for X mode. Delta wing mixing in TX. Flies fine!

However I have been tinkering with the Copilot2, and as far as I can see it does not provide delta mixing onboard, meaning that I then have to fly + mode to use Copilot or other similar systems.

Would it be very hard to make a dedicated X-mode version of the Quadcopter software?

Thanks

Jussi
That is a very nice looking Quad Jussi. What was the AUW?
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
I've just completed my low-cost lightweight KK quad copter and here's the parts list, pictures and a video. It doesn't fly as stable as I'd hoped, so I'm looking for any recommendations on how to improve it without going to much heavier 40+ gram motors. The KK flight controller was assembled using recommended parts and HK 401B gyros. The frame is glued together from 24" (61cm) lengths of basswood that are lightweight but very rigid and durable.

Setting the 10K pitch and roll potentiometers to 25% is as close to stable as I can get it. Turning either pot up or down even 1/10 of a millimeter leads to excessive oscillation or very loose/uncontrollable behavior. I've found videos of an Aeroquad and TT-Copter using the identical HK motors, ESC and EPP845 props that fly great, so I'm not sure where to look to improve stability. I can only think to try EPP1045 props but they might be too much for the motors to handle.

Parts List:
(4) Hextronik 23gram 1300Kv Outrunners (lowest kv I could find in a small size)
(4) Turnigy 10A Plush ESCs
(4) EPP0845 props
(3) 24" x 1/2" x 1/2" Basswood arms
5" x 0.118" Acrylic circle
T-Rex 500 Skids
Mystery 11.1v 1500mah 25c lipo

Total weight without lipo is 490g and flight time is about 9 minutes.

Here's my video with my quad rocking back and fourth, and overcorrecting. No amount of pitch or roll trim improves it any better than this.
http://www.vimeo.com/12503998

Here's a TT-Copter with nearly identical setup with rock solid characteristics. It's even got much shorter arms. I tried shorter arms and my quad became even more unstable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XfDD3bNp7I

Hello, I have made a smaller quad, and it it very stable. See it here; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=kapteinkuk

The gains on this is about 50%

So it should be possible

Have you reduced the stick endpoints?
What software version do you use, and what is the hovering throttle position?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:17 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Kaptein....

As you see it is set up for X mode. Delta wing mixing in TX. Flies fine!

However I have been tinkering with the Copilot2, and as far as I can see it does not provide delta mixing onboard, meaning that I then have to fly + mode to use Copilot or other similar systems.

Would it be very hard to make a dedicated X-mode version of the Quadcopter software?

Thanks

Jussi
You can still use your copilot in X mode. Just set it up and mount it on the quad for + mode, and then use the delta wing mix.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:23 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Hey Keptein.... Did you have a look at where to put gyro positions on the TH board? Is it possible on such a small space?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
Hey Keptein.... Did you have a look at where to put gyro positions on the TH board? Is it possible on such a small space?
Do yo mean the new TH desing I talked about? I have not started yet, but very soon.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Do yo mean the new TH desing I talked about? I have not started yet, but very soon.
Yep, that was the one I meant. I shall look forward to the results and will hold my order with seeedstudio till it is ready.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:01 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,118 Posts
Hi.
I keep trying to fly my tricopter. No matter what i do i have very heavy uncontrollable oscillations on pitch axis. I did try hi gain, low gain, changed escs... Roll and yaw both stable and solid.
Measured voltage between gnd and wiper of pot around 0.7 and between gnd and gyro signal around 1.4 for all 3 gyros.
Any suggestions before i scrap the project and revert to 4 gyro tricopter?
Thanks
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:28 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigar View Post
Hi.
I keep trying to fly my tricopter. No matter what i do i have very heavy uncontrollable oscillations on pitch axis. I did try hi gain, low gain, changed escs... Roll and yaw both stable and solid.
Measured voltage between gnd and wiper of pot around 0.7 and between gnd and gyro signal around 1.4 for all 3 gyros.
Any suggestions before i scrap the project and revert to 4 gyro tricopter?
Thanks
Quick update. Swap the pitch gyro with roll and the problem went to roll axis. So faulty gyro. Do they often fail?
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar