SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
kapteinkuk I got to demonstrate your design to some students the other day and they were blown away. I think I have you some new converts
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 04:11 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
just out of curiosity, is kapteinkuk cool w/ the other site? you are basing a whole site off of his work, just wondering if you got an ok from him? also, please don't turn that other site site into an ad-fest - kaptainkuk was nice enough to code this as an open source type project and if anybody is going to benefit $$ from his work, well it should be him, not others using his work and from what i have read excellent code from ad revenue.

just my .02c
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old May 30, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Ja, all is cool with KapteinKuk. There will be no adverts on the new site. It will be kept open source and free info in the spirit of this project.

There will be a section where we will put a kind of classifieds section for people who want to sell their finished boards or multicopters based on Rolf's design. And maybe a section for the PCBs etc for guys who find it a bit of a challenge making their own.

If anyone has any problems with the site let me know and I will take it down.

Cheers,

Niall
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old May 30, 2010, 05:16 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
Ja, all is cool with KapteinKuk. There will be no adverts on the new site. It will be kept open source and free info in the spirit of this project.

There will be a section where we will put a kind of classifieds section for people who want to sell their finished boards or multicopters based on Rolf's design. And maybe a section for the PCBs etc for guys who find it a bit of a challenge making their own.

Cheers,

Niall
that all good. i just wanted to voice my opinion and make sure KK wasn't being exploited in any manner w/ as much as he has contributed w/ his excellent design.

can i ask what font you used for the logo?
Old May 30, 2010, 05:30 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
that all good. i just wanted to voice my opinion and make sure KK wasn't being exploited in any manner w/ as much as he has contributed w/ his excellent design.

Ho no, this is maybe a "patented" font, you should ask his owner first, for his permission to use it!

to create something "new", EVERYBOY "stole, reused, modified" part of the ideas from other people...
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old May 30, 2010, 05:31 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:

Cheers,

Niall
I would be interested in a complete " Plug-and-Play " board. I have O experience in programming , but can solder . Math was not my best subject ... some many years ago I can fly helos' ,tri's and quads , my machines are using v-tail mixers , and 120 degree swash mixing. I have mini-mix board , but very little success with it . Please let me know if these will be available ...

Thanks Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old May 30, 2010, 05:32 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post

Yep, it was Corbel.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMAX-T View Post
I would be interested in a complete " Plug-and-Play " board. I have O experience in programming , but can solder . Math was not my best subject ... some many years ago I can fly helos' ,tri's and quads , my machines are using v-tail mixers , and 120 degree swash mixing. I have mini-mix board , but very little success with it . Please let me know if these will be available ...

Thanks Terry
Hi Terry,

I know 420RcPilot has one in the works....

I will ask KapteinKUK if he thinks it is a good idea, and then maybe put some up on the site. The idea is to make this fun hobby more accessible to people who are less experienced in programming and electronics. I am sure there are also people on this thread who may have completed boards kicking around.

Cheers,

Niall
Last edited by Niall; May 30, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:31 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
kapteinkuk I got to demonstrate your design to some students the other day and they were blown away. I think I have you some new converts
That nice
What kind of school/class is it?
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old May 30, 2010, 07:27 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Ho no, this is maybe a "patented" font, you should ask his owner first, for his permission to use it!

to create something "new", EVERYBOY "stole, reused, modified" part of the ideas from other people...
i was going to throw up an idea i had for the logo....
Old May 30, 2010, 10:22 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
The demonstration was for elementary school students but it is high school technology students who I hope to get to do the build. I am sure there are a few more following the threads now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
That nice
What kind of school/class is it?
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old May 30, 2010, 11:15 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Hi Terry,

I know 420RcPilot has one in the works....

I will ask KapteinKUK if he thinks it is a good idea, and then maybe put some up on the site. The idea is to make this fun hobby more accessible to people who are less experienced in programming and electronics. I am sure there are also people on this thread who may have completed boards kicking around.

Cheers,

Niall

Thanks Niall , I would definetly be interested in one ......I love the tri-copter in the video ....super stable

Thanks Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old May 31, 2010, 03:35 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Finished assembled the V5 PCB (thanks Peter for that) and got some test flights out of it

Some observations with the V5 PCB:

1. The pot's directions are not in the natural way that we would use. It needs to turn LEFT to INCREASE the gyro gain and turn right to right to reduce it. It should have been turning right to increase gain. I guess Kaptain library for the pot. needs a little tweak to move the upper pin to the bottom, or we can modify the schematic and the PCB again.

2. The C10 (2.2uf) cap makes the Debug Wire feature of the AVR Dragon programmer not working. I removed the cap and I can use debug wire mode to single step through the source code. Programming is fine whether this cap is there or not.

Other than that, I can't wait for the HK401 gyros come, so I went out flying at 2:00am in the morning with my ST gyro board. It does fine. Couple clicks of trimming and the quad floats in the air on my back yard in the middle of the night

Better pictures here:
http://web1.tjtrc.com/pictures/multi...s_IMG_7700.JPG
http://web1.tjtrc.com/pictures/multi...s_IMG_7701.JPG
http://web1.tjtrc.com/pictures/multi...s_IMG_7702.JPG
http://web1.tjtrc.com/pictures/multi...s_IMG_7706.JPG

Somehow the IMG link tags don't work. Probably I have frame forwarding for the domain...

-Thanh

ps. I also offer assembled boards (with Kaptein permission of course). If anyone want a fully functional plug and play board in the US, just let me know. It will take some time at first.
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Last edited by thanhTran; May 31, 2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:29 AM
Australia, VIC, Narre Warren
Joined May 2010
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Finished assembled the V5 PCB (thanks Peter for that) and got some test flights out of it

1. The pot's directions are not in the natural way that we would use. It needs to turn LEFT to INCREASE the gyro gain and turn right to right to reduce it. It should have been turning right to increase gain. I guess Kaptain library for the pot. needs a little tweak to move the upper pin to the bottom, or we can modify the schematic and the PCB again.

2. The C10 (2.2uf) cap makes the Debug Wire feature of the AVR Dragon programmer not working. I removed the cap and I can use debug wire mode to single step through the source code. Programming is fine whether this cap is there or not.

Other than that, I can't wait for the HK401 gyros come, so I went out flying at 2:00am in the morning with my ST gyro board. It does fine. Couple clicks of trimming and the quad floats in the air on my back yard in the middle of the night

Better pictures here:

Somehow the IMG link tags don't work. Probably I have frame forwarding for the domain...

-Thanh

ps. I also offer assembled boards (with Kaptein permission of course). If anyone want a fully functional plug and play board in the US, just let me know. It will take some time at first.
Thanks awsome thanh,

a flying video would be great if possible.

Also I would love to know how those gyro's compare to the 401b's both from a cost and performance side of things.

My parts have turned up today except for the gyro's so at least i can start soldering.

Since it looks like this board is ok I will start taking preorders for boards to get an indication of numbers for the smd board.

Also if a standalone gyro like the st or another brand works out cost/performance wise i would consider a new version of the board to suit.

Overall great news
Scorpia is offline Find More Posts by Scorpia
Old May 31, 2010, 05:21 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:

Oh fk... It turns out that the pots on the HK401B gyro is "backward". I checked out a few smd pots on Mouser, It seems like the open type pot is normal and the closed pots is backwards.

Now there is 2 ways to go
1: change the layout.
2: do the hardware designers wet dream; fix all errors with new software!

Edit: I will go for 2. I will add a "reverse pots" option to the gyro reversing setup. Moving the throttle will reverse the pots.

Quote:
Yes, This is also stated in the datasheet for the chip. The cap where added to prevent the remote possibility of a in flight reset due to noise to the reset pin. But it might be overkill, as the chip has noise filter on the pin.

Quote:

Better pictures here:

-Thanh

kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Last edited by kapteinkuk; May 31, 2010 at 05:33 AM.