HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2004, 03:30 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,616 Posts
Flying Models Plans

The February Issue of Flying Models is already on the stands, so the March issue should be coming out ust before or after the end of this month.

Flying models plans come as full sized folded copies of the original drawings. They are not in a digital format. You will have to make copies of the patterns for bulkheads, ribs, etc. or scan them if you wich to get them into a digital format.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:52 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,988 Posts
To nogoer:

I chose ailerons in order to minimize dihedral. The Learjet has a bit of adverse yaw so I keep a shallow bank angle.
You could increase the dihedral and use a rudder, but the plans have no provision for a working rudder in the construction.

Thank you for you compliments.

David
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:57 AM
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Joined Oct 2003
680 Posts
Well if there is no rudder built into the design, maybe ill just build it as is. On the other hand i dont think it wouldbe terribly difficult to add rudder. I also just realized your prototype has no gear. Is there a provision on the plans for adding it if i choose to?

Sorry for the questions, i really should just bide my time until i can get ahold of these plans. I also hope someone with more experience starts a build thread.

Thanks
nogoer is offline Find More Posts by nogoer
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:22 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,988 Posts
Learjet 23

Quote:
Originally posted by nogoer
Well if there is no rudder built into the design, maybe ill just build it as is. On the other hand i dont think it wouldbe terribly difficult to add rudder. I also just realized your prototype has no gear. Is there a provision on the plans for adding it if i choose to?

Sorry for the questions, i really should just bide my time until i can get ahold of these plans. I also hope someone with more experience starts a build thread.

Thanks
Nogoer: Questions are an essence of life!

You'll have to pretend there is a landing gear, but it's permanentely retracted. Weight was my primary concern when designing the Learjet and the gear would only add weight and drag. The location for the landing gears is indicated on the plan only. There are photos of the Learjet in the article that show a landing gear, but this is for static use only. It's not difficult to hand launch with only a light toss.
This isn't a "quick build" project, but very gratifying if you like 1/16" balsa.
And I'll be around should you want to build and have questions.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:32 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
David, is there any chance you've got some video of this little lear flying around?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:39 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,860 Posts
David,

An absolute beauty. What county in NJ do you fly?

Our club is will likely host an AMA sanctioned E-Power event this year. We fly out of Coltsneck (Monmouth county)

Would really enjoy seeing this plane fly!

Bob.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:58 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,988 Posts
Martin:

I do have a VCR tape, but not sure how to place on this forum. The DVD of that tape is horrible and not worth much. Sorry I can't oblige you.

David
Old Jan 20, 2004, 01:09 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,988 Posts
Learjet 23

Quote:
Originally posted by rcjetpilot
David,

An absolute beauty. What county in NJ do you fly?

Our club is will likely host an AMA sanctioned E-Power event this year. We fly out of Coltsneck (Monmouth county)

Would really enjoy seeing this plane fly!

Bob.

Thanks Bob. I'm in Monmouth County, Upperfreehold Twsp. Fly mostly at Mercer County R/C Club Field. I know your field and would like to accept your invitation when it gets warmer!

MCRC held an E-power fun fly last September and will probably hold it again this year. Will watch for your event.

David
Old Jan 20, 2004, 04:16 PM
USA Baby!
Joined Jan 2004
22 Posts
How to order

Those of you welcome modelers whom would like there hot hands on this flying beauty, advanced orders are being taken for the Lear23.

Order plan CD218, and the 03/04 issue of FLYING MODELS magazine. The two plan sheets are $16.00 and the magazine is $4.50 (6.50 in Canada), plus shipping and handling. If you prefer your plans rolled, be sure to ask for this special handling.

Call 973-383-3355 during normal EST business hours, or you can call our "order-only" hotline 800-474-6995.

Michael...

www.flying-models.com
Michael R. is offline Find More Posts by Michael R.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2003
680 Posts
Re: How to order

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael R.
Those of you welcome modelers whom would like there hot hands on this flying beauty, advanced orders are being taken for the Lear23.

Order plan CD218, and the 03/04 issue of FLYING MODELS magazine. The two plan sheets are $16.00 and the magazine is $4.50 (6.50 in Canada), plus shipping and handling. If you prefer your plans rolled, be sure to ask for this special handling.

Call 973-383-3355 during normal EST business hours, or you can call our "order-only" hotline 800-474-6995.

Michael...

www.flying-models.com
Is this real? Cant i just buy the mag off the shelve and save myself 16 dollars while still getting the same exact thing?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:42 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,574 Posts
Re: Re: How to order

Quote:
Originally posted by nogoer
Is this real? Cant i just buy the mag off the shelve and save myself 16 dollars while still getting the same exact thing?
nogoer,

You probably could if the plan were full sized in the magazine, Flying Models only publishes the plan as a picture in the mag and sells the full sized plan thru mail order.

Cheers,

Eric Barnett
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:18 PM
USA Baby!
Joined Jan 2004
22 Posts
Full size plan explained

The highly detailed and intricate full-size plans for the David A. Ramsey sport scale EDF Gates Learjet 23 are on two quality paper sheets that are about four feet by three feet in size. Part templates are conveniently grouped for pattern making, and details are clearly shown for recreating the scale graphics. Crisp technical drawing and cleanly written callouts positively explain the construction tasks at hand. Coupled with the 20+ photo illustrated, eight page construction article, the guesswork is all but eliminated for building this unique flying model.

Reduced images of the plan are shown in the article for illustrative purposes. Checking out the magazine first isn't such a bad idea.

Michael...
Michael R. is offline Find More Posts by Michael R.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:50 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,860 Posts
Re: Learjet 23

Quote:
Originally posted by David A Ramsey
MCRC held an E-power fun fly last September and will probably hold it again this year. Will watch for your event.
David,
Thats great, and I'm with you on the warm weather

Let me ask you, I moved down here 7 years ago from Bergen County. We flew over at the Model Air Dome, part of Palisades County park. Was a great spot with 300 foot paved runway.

Question, where near us can I find a paved runway? I sure do miss it.

Looking forward to meeting you in the future.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2004, 01:05 PM
Joined Oct 2003
680 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How to order

Quote:
Originally posted by AirX
nogoer,

You probably could if the plan were full sized in the magazine, Flying Models only publishes the plan as a picture in the mag and sells the full sized plan thru mail order.

Cheers,

Eric Barnett
Ah Ha! That explains alot. I was under the impression the full size plans were somehow included in the mag. I dont think i have the experience to try and properly enlarge a magazine photo. Looks like im going back to trying to find a kit of a prop twin instead.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
FMN Plans

I have built from their plans before... its worth the extra for the details and patterns... I HAVE done it the hard way ( AD-1 by Gus Morfis... ) ... as a former 24 driver you can be sure this is going to be a fav!!! ( Lear Mantra: 410 or we don't go!!!)
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup