HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:17 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Discussion
HK-450MT CCPM 3D Fully Alloy Electric Helicopter Kit

I would suggest to get in quick for this one.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10413
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,817 Posts
Cheap Dangerous Junk. Sorry. I have seen what happens when they fail. BANG
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:31 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
:No good eh? I don't know much about Helis,just thought that it was pretty cheap...although cheap and helis probably aint in the same suburb...
Carry on,just posted cos it came up as I was browsing(as you do)HC.
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:38 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,817 Posts
I dont think $46 will buy a full metal 450 size heli of any quality. I saw a blade and blade grip eject from 450 the other week. Nothing broke or no screws came loose. it just pulled off at high head speed and went about 25ft. Bad tolerances. Stick to a known brand. Much safer. I have been hit by a 450 blade and it hurts HEAPS. Luckily it was only wood and not carbon.
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Don't do it mate. It brings the phrase "bottomless pit" to mind. I got a tiny, little 'touch' from a FG 450 blade and cut me to the bone.

Here's the real problem. Every crash costs you heaps. Whereas you can effect repairs on planes, on heli's you need to replace parts. As the cost escalates I found I started to build a tough little mental safety box and was not progressing past tail in/side hovering from fear of crashing.

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:48 PM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62 View Post
Don't do it mate. It brings the phrase "bottomless pit" to mind. I got a tiny, little 'touch' from a FG 450 blade and cut me to the bone.

Here's the real problem. Every crash costs you heaps. Whereas you can effect repairs on planes, on heli's you need to replace parts. As the cost escalates I found I started to build a tough little mental safety box and was not progressing past tail in/side hovering from fear of crashing.

Clovus
Not commenting on the quality of this one. The spare parts on these cheap helis are very cheap. If you crash a Gen T-REX it gets very expensive very quickly. If worried you might be buying a lemon, just wait till there is a group consensus from people who have flown one. Also keep your distance, it reduces how fast the blade will be going when it hits you and decreases your chance of being hit.

Stuart
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:11 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2008
230 Posts
Hi I just got mine today. I ordered the plastic one but they sent me the metal one for the same price. I also have a align t-rex 450se and to tell you the truth I cannot tell the difference in the cnc work.
lovetoflyjets is offline Find More Posts by lovetoflyjets
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:44 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2008
230 Posts
evo62 I understand what you are talking about. With this cheap heli I am going to ring this baby out to the limit and learn learn learn.
lovetoflyjets is offline Find More Posts by lovetoflyjets
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:37 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,362 Posts
Give them a few months till they sort the bugs, unless you want to beta test. A few ppl I know have bought various HK helies and all needed replacement parts. The HK250GT actually worked out cheaper if he bought the align, half the reason being it has motor etc included.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:24 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,727 Posts
On the 500 kit they say they use 2000 series alloy whereas all the other manufacturers including align use 6000 series. 2000 series alloys are generally twice the tensile strength of 6000 series.
Magnum9 is online now Find More Posts by Magnum9
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:06 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
enjoyed my first flights today

I got one last week and was horrified by the job they did assembling it. Some screws had too much loctite, and one even broke off rather than unscrewing. Other screws had none, and some screws were not even snug.

The flybar cage touched a screw head as it moved, and so could not move freely. Had to bend it slightly to get it to clear. The flybar cage pinched the bearings that the flybar passes through, and had to be filed down so that those bearings could move freely.

The gear mesh between the tail drive gear and the lower big gear is very loose, but it is working for now. I'll have to find a way to adjust that.

The swash plate oscillates laterally as the head rotates.

The screws are very poor quality. The heads are not a good fit for any allen wrench in my set, metric or imperial, and I have reasonably high quality allen wrenches. Some of the heads strip before the screws are reasonably tight, so I am gradually replacing them with high quality screws from a local store.

All that said, it flies brilliantly! I moved the flybar weights up against the flybar cage, and it rolls, loops, and flips easily. Those are my most advanced maneuvers, but I think the heli is capable of more when my thumbs are up to it. It also hovers very smoothly and easily. Other heli pilots are amazed when they hear that my gyro was about $30 and tail servo about $3. They tell me it would be better if I used higher a quality servo and gyro, but the tail holds pretty well even with this setup.

I'm using HXT900 servos all around, a telebee gyro from hobbycity, and an align motor and ESC given to me by a friend, flightmax 2200 3s 20c and 15c batteries and an electron 6 receiver. I use align wood blades, and got a different canopy from HC for about $6.

Though it is far from perfect, I'm happy that I decided to get this heli. I enjoy solving the goofy problems like the flybar cage hitting a screw head, so I didn't mind too much. If you want a heli that works properly right out of the box, this is not for you!

Fly safely,
David
chopperdave is offline Find More Posts by chopperdave
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:11 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
I have an HK450, and HK500 (70+ flights and no issues) ennuff said. Don't be anal and just fly it!! One word of advise, the HK500 is much better then the 450 and that is the general consensus for any brand name. The 500 size is the best to learn on and to do 3D, autos, etc.
KoziFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KoziFlyer
Last edited by KoziFlyer; Dec 28, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:23 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootster View Post
Cheap Dangerous Junk. Sorry. I have seen what happens when they fail. BANG
Probably coz the person didn't know what they were doing!!! Check everything b4 you fly, remember it comes from a manufacturing plant and the person building it may have had a bad day like we all do, yeah???????

Check , check, check and remember to change your blades every 50 flights!!!
KoziFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KoziFlyer
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:33 PM
Brisbane
Joined May 2009
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoziFlyer View Post
Probably coz the person didn't know what they were doing!!! Check everything b4 you fly, remember it comes from a manufacturing plant and the person building it may have had a bad day like we all do, yeah???????

Check , check, check and remember to change your blades every 50 flights!!!
This is very true, it all comes down to the first time you take it out of the box and when you take it to the feild for it first flight. I get mine on friday.
inverted22 is offline Find More Posts by inverted22
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:46 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Stepping up from the Blade 400 Inverted? I'll swap you a crashed up foamie for your Blade
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62