HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Mini-Review
Walkera UFLY helicopter mini review

Introduction:
Following the development for shaft driven helicopter from Walkera, the newest additional to Walkera model lineup is the UFLY. A shaft drive medium size helicopter with aluminum alloy rotor head, the usually RTF configuration with all necessary accessory included (battery, charger, radio, etc), brushless motors, etc. As shaft driven tail driven tail offer better rudder control compare to separate tail motor system, it should make this little heli quite stable for both indoor and outdoor flying.

Preflight check:
As usual in Walkera fashion the helicopter come 100% build and tested. And well protected inside coloured box. Battery and chargers were included. After charging the battery during the bench test I notice the swash is slightly forward. One turn with the elevator push rod fix this issue. Another good point about this kit is it come with brushless motor and full aluminum rotor head already. No more burn out brushed motor and the aluminum head make the heli more crash resistance and slop free for longer service life.

Flight test:
As expect for a FP helicopter it is quite stable. The initial setting there are slight tail hunt, simple fix by decreasing the gyro gain by around 5min and everything work flawlessly. The heli fly really nice and does itís job nicely. One thing I donít like about it is the blades. They are made by the same materials as the cb180 which do offer some flex but will break during hard impact. It would be nice if Walkera can replace it with materials which flex a bit more so it would be more crash resistance.

Conclusion:
Nice RTF heli. If you are like me which is very lazy and what to fly it as soon as you get it. Try this one. It is very simple to setup and fly. And due to itís medium size it can be easily flown indoor, but not too small so it is still very stable and can fly outdoor if desire. The only thing I donít like about this heli is the blades and hope Walkera can improve on this in the future.

Pros:
RTF
Very stable tail
High quality construction
New 2402 LCD transmitter
Brushless motor and lipo battery

Cons:
Plastic rotor blades
Slight tail hunt with the initial setup
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:55 PM
Joined Apr 2007
320 Posts
It will be terrific if there's a video of it flying.
altronpower is offline Find More Posts by altronpower
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
I would try my best to make one ASAP.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,365 Posts
This looks like constant-speed tail with servo. Interesting idea on a fixed pitch. Price range?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
7 Posts
Walkera HM UFLY Spinning Problem

I've Had a Walkera HM UFLY for about a Week now. The Heli was Great until, 2 days ago, it went spinning as soon as I try to Take off.
I Tried Changing the Main Gear and the Tail Gears and made sure that they are well placed. But still, the problem Persists.
I've Checked if the servos are working, and the tail fins are spinning and responding normally to the sticks. I Had a Minor Crash and this is what Happened after-wards.
I tried Holding the heli in my Hand and giving Throttle then moving the tail blades to see if smthg was loose. But the heli's tail is responding normally even when at full throttle.
Any Idea what the problem may Be?
Elie is offline Find More Posts by Elie
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,857 Posts
This is a pretty old (and dead) thread. Better to post your question on the active UFly thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150908
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:02 PM
msr,CB100,UFlyS,V120-V200D01
Tennessee, USA
Joined Dec 2007
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
I've Had a Walkera HM UFLY for about a Week now. The Heli was Great until, 2 days ago, it went spinning as soon as I try to Take off.
I Tried Changing the Main Gear and the Tail Gears and made sure that they are well placed. But still, the problem Persists.
I've Checked if the servos are working, and the tail fins are spinning and responding normally to the sticks. I Had a Minor Crash and this is what Happened after-wards.
I tried Holding the heli in my Hand and giving Throttle then moving the tail blades to see if smthg was loose. But the heli's tail is responding normally even when at full throttle.
Any Idea what the problem may Be?
Did you check the carbon rod that drives the tail gears/rotor? You need to check it under a magnifying glass. It could be your problem - I know it has been mine when this has happened.
js349 is offline Find More Posts by js349
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
7 Posts
"Did you check the carbon rod that drives the tail gears/rotor? You need to check it under a magnifying glass. It could be your problem - I know it has been mine when this has happened. "

Do you Mean the Plastic tube that is placed inside the tail boom? the one that links the rear tail gear with the one that sits on the main gear?

If so? i've seen it's extremities, when the gears sit. it has a Flat spot that goes in like a puzzle into the gears, the flat spot is fine and the gears are fitting well also.
What should i check with the magnifying Glass?
Elie is offline Find More Posts by Elie
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
"Did you check the carbon rod that drives the tail gears/rotor? You need to check it under a magnifying glass. It could be your problem - I know it has been mine when this has happened. "

Do you Mean the Plastic tube that is placed inside the tail boom? the one that links the rear tail gear with the one that sits on the main gear?

If so? i've seen it's extremities, when the gears sit. it has a Flat spot that goes in like a puzzle into the gears, the flat spot is fine and the gears are fitting well also.
What should i check with the magnifying Glass?
Another thing you should check is the gyro. with everything connected and power up. Hold the tail in your hand with your thumb touching the rudder control arm. Try to swing it from side to side and you should feel the servo moving. If it doesn't your gyro is dead.......