HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2011, 06:48 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinV View Post
Yeah, I did wonder whether you would brave the... Weather to attempt a maiden yesterday.

There were times up in the hills when it was almost pleasant... I know, because I was stuck in the back yard building the Hilton of all dog kennels. Smashed my thumb with a hammer! OUCH!

Maybe next weekend (Although the forcast for tomorrow is perfect (once the fog burns off)).

Cheers,

Hugh
The spitty + its 410g lead nose is loaded in the car and ready for its maiden in the morning.
Just like the real spitfires that flew sorties long ago, there is the chance that it wont be coming back.
Maccanaut is offline Find More Posts by Maccanaut
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccanaut View Post
The spitty + its 410g lead nose is loaded in the car and ready for its maiden in the morning.
Just like the real spitfires that flew sorties long ago, there is the chance that it wont be coming back.
Good Luck on the maiden....
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old May 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
Yeah, good luck mate. Just wait till the fog lifts a bit will ya? I have seen too many impatient club members lose their models because they could not wait that extra half hour.

It'll fly. But it will also land like a gliding brick, so keep that airspeed up in the turns. I have a suspicion that the stall on this model will give you no warning whasoever.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old May 16, 2011, 07:07 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,556 Posts
Yes.. good luck on your maiden!
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old May 16, 2011, 08:31 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Thanks all. Sitting at the field now, after the maiden flight. Went well except for the landing. Our strip is too short for this plane i think. Or maybe i'll get used to it. This thing comes in SCORCHING RED HOT!
As it was about 2 feet off the ground the nose dropped and the landing gear buckled, but i managed to keep the plane from any damage. The wheels didnt flatten against the wing at all so i had something to ride on at least. Didnt think it would ever stop!!
I ordered the HK retracts already and theyre on their way. I'll get the oleos too FOR SURE. i think with this weight on our rabbit infested field the oleos will save me. Still thinking bout the wheels u suggested mikeUK. i hope with changing all this i wont have to do surgery on the wings.
Cheers,
Michael
PS: Theres a maiden vid on my youtube but i dont know how its come out. Still at the field and only got iphone. Search "maccanaut" and it should come up.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:47 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Congrats! How did it FLY?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old May 16, 2011, 09:10 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Congrats! How did it FLY?
Flew beautifully. The motor suits nicely for scale flying and fast enough fly bys.
Stll at the field, but the spitty has had its day until the retracts are fixed/replaced.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:55 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Ok i havent even left the field yet but i ordered those oleo struts u recommended from rc-warbirds mike. So the retracts are sent, according to HK, and the oleos are 2 weeks approx.
Hope theres not too much fidgeting needed.
I wonder if i could rig up a small parachute on the tail......
Or maybe a cable across the landing strip to catch the plane as it lands...likevon an aircraft carrier.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Its an ASP 72 FS and might struggle with anymore weight.
Hi Michael, bad luck bout the bad landing/LG damage otherwise a nice maiden. Which engine did you use in the end? I did hear someone mention the asp fs61 in the vid was that referring to your Spit?

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old May 17, 2011, 04:55 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Hi Michael, bad luck bout the bad landing/LG damage otherwise a nice maiden. Which engine did you use in the end? I did hear someone mention the asp fs61 in the vid was that referring to your Spit?

John
Hi john..yes its an ASP 61. if i've said it was a 72 i've just been confused with the motor in my yak. I have an OS 72FS in that and confuse the ASP with that one. ASP 61 FS in the spifire. Flies surprisingly well on the 61. Fast enough on the fly bys no problem. Already pulled the retracts out in preperation for oleos etc.
This bird will fly again.
Cheers
Michael
Old May 17, 2011, 05:30 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
Congrats Macca.

Glad it didn't come to grief!

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old May 17, 2011, 07:21 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinV View Post
Congrats Macca.

Glad it didn't come to grief!

Cheers,

Hugh
Thanks Hugh. Though it is the scariest beast i've landed so far in my few months of flying. Heres a vid, though not great, of how it flew at least. Proof that even with over 400g of lead in the front it still does get up.......with an effort.
CMPro Spitfire 50 maiden flight. (2 min 39 sec)
Old May 17, 2011, 07:25 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Just a word on those engine mounts....no matter how tight u think u have ur engine bolts fastened, check them after each of ur first few flights. I'm known for stripping threads from overtightening everything i put together, so i was surprised at how loose those engine bolts had become after just one flight.
Cheers
Michael
Old May 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Just watched the video. She flies nicely doesn't she. She's really not that heavy IMHO. I think that we're just used to lighter aircraft for our electrics. Only time I really notice the weight is on landing with a long roll out from the slightly higher speed.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old May 17, 2011, 09:11 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Hugh. Though it is the scariest beast i've landed so far in my few months of flying. Heres a vid, though not great, of how it flew at least. Proof that even with over 400g of lead in the front it still does get up.......with an effort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eVX6fKqi68
Nice! Very cool flight...

Thanks for posting.. I always dig vids of this bird and nice flying... especially with that weight up front!

She does land hot but the flight is worth it!
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe