HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:15 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
bwa3006,

I don't like using retract servos, the fixed endpoints make it difficult to get the retract motion tuned properly. I much prefer a regular servo that I can program the travel and speed precisely. You want something with a good amount of torque.

These BlueBirds are nice MG servos that have more torque than the Hitec equivalent (HS85MG) and are half the price. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8760.

jhspring,

You're welcome. It sure looks nice in the CMP Spit. I got my pilot painted and cockpit glued on. It turned out really nice.
After I got the pilot painted and glued in, I took the same paints I used on the pilot and painted on top of the printed graphic to extend his arms & legs into the fake cockpit interior. It helped it feel like he didn't just have a torso with no lower body. Took about 5 minutes.

After I got it all done I'm looking at it and realized that maybe I painted his expression to look like he's a little TOO fearful of that squadron of Me109's that he just spotted swooping in at him from two o'clock.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:46 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
He definitely has that "Oh S**t" expression. It's the eyes.

Seriously though- great job. One of the best I've seen w/ just a decal. With the canopy up the illusion is perfect.

-Tim
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:00 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,282 Posts
That is a really nicely done cockpit. Hope mine comes out half that good. All my pilots get that expression on their face when they see me pick up the tx, regardless of how they were painted in the first place.

Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:59 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Does anybody else here wish that these ARF vendors would put just a little more thought into their planes? I sure do. I especially get frustrated when they put in a cockpit graphic that looks absolutely nothing like the instrument panels in the real plane.

When I get to the stage of building a plane, I often create a custom graphic for the cockpit, and I just couldn't glue the canopy on the Spit without doing it for this one as well.

I know there are others building the plane now that may feel the same way, so I'm posting my cockpit graphic that can be printed out on a color inkjet printer, cut out with scissors, and glued to the cockpit interior of the CMP Spitfire.

The image is 600dpi. Print it on a strong piece of paper so that when you use a spray glue it doesn't bleed through the paper. I used a light card stock. Set it on a high quality printing so the colors get saturated.

You'll have to crease the paper to coincide with the curves in the cockpit, this graphic goes from the instruments all the way to the back frame as a single piece. It's obvious on the image where the creases should go, so it's real easy to do.

I compiled it from a dozen or so cockpit photos I found online. It's obviously not 100% accurate, it's just what I could slam together in the 3 hours I had.

It's probably a good idea, when you glue a pilot in, to cut out the shape of the pilot bust from the printed graphic and glue the pilot directly to the plane itself, that way the weight of the pilot whipping around doesn't pull the paper up off the plane and leave the pilot bouncing around in the cockpit.

FWIW.

Todd
Not sure if I missed it..where did you get the pilot? Your completed cockpit looks great.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:35 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Denny,

I thought it was an Aces of Iron pilot, they make some of the best pilots out there. I've purchased several awesome pilots from them in the past. But when I went to their web site, it wasn't there. To be honest, I can't remember where I got it. I've had it for a good while. I searched through my email records and couldn't find anything, and checked all of the vendors I normally shop from, to no avail.

I checked Hobby Lobby, HobbyKing, Tower Hobbies, Horizon, Esprit, Nitromodels, and a dozen smaller places.

The one place that I went to check, but the web site is gone, is Pete's Pilots. I think that may be where I got it. I found an obscure post on RC Universe when I did a search for Pete's Pilots that said he was going on 70 years old and closing down his shop, but that he'd be selling inventory through Ebay.

So do a search for Pete's Pilots on Ebay and you may find some good stuff there. Good Luck!

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:21 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Denny,

I thought it was an Aces of Iron pilot, they make some of the best pilots out there. I've purchased several awesome pilots from them in the past. But when I went to their web site, it wasn't there. To be honest, I can't remember where I got it. I've had it for a good while. I searched through my email records and couldn't find anything, and checked all of the vendors I normally shop from, to no avail.

I checked Hobby Lobby, HobbyKing, Tower Hobbies, Horizon, Esprit, Nitromodels, and a dozen smaller places.

The one place that I went to check, but the web site is gone, is Pete's Pilots. I think that may be where I got it. I found an obscure post on RC Universe when I did a search for Pete's Pilots that said he was going on 70 years old and closing down his shop, but that he'd be selling inventory through Ebay.

So do a search for Pete's Pilots on Ebay and you may find some good stuff there. Good Luck!

Todd
Todd,

Thanks for the info, It is a neat looking pilot and different than the normal Williams Bros...

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2004
13 Posts
Just Pilots

More Pilots

Jeff

http://www.justpilots.ca/index.html
jeffb189 is offline Find More Posts by jeffb189
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:51 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
You know what? I think that this is the one I used. It looks just like mine.

http://www.justpilots.ca/pilot_figur..._scale-RAF.htm

Thanks for posting that link!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,593 Posts
Hi,

Any idea who has these kits in stock?

Thanks! Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:52 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
My CMP Spitfire is finally complete! What a pain. I hate building warbirds. If they weren't so dang pretty to look at I wouldn't do it.

Mine came in at exactly 7 pounds, same as my CMP P51. I was hoping it would be a little lighter, but that was wishful thinking.

I left the gear door covers, the chin scoop, and the antenna off until after the maiden. Once she flies successfully, I'll add those cosmetic elements and finish the hand-drawn detailing I always do to make my warbirds looked weathered and abused in combat.

Any of you guys flying your spits care to give a revised/updated number for the center of gravity?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:59 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
I couldn't get out on Saturday to maiden the Spit, but I'm all ready to take it out Monday morning.

My CG is at 4" and total weight 7 lbs. That's using the Turnigy SK 50-55 580KV motor with ThunderPowerV2 5S 4400 Lipo setup on a 13x11 prop. That's my starter prop, and if it flies without crashing I'll convert it over to my nice 3-blade setup for future flights.

HAS ANYBODY FLOWN ONE YET? OR AM I GONNA BE THE FIRST?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Godspeed Windy!
We haven't gotten ours up yet, since it's been snowmageddon 'round here. Anxious to hear your maiden report.
fingers crossed.
-Tim

Quote:
I couldn't get out on Saturday to maiden the Spit, but I'm all ready to take it out Monday morning.

My CG is at 4" and total weight 7 lbs. That's using the Turnigy SK 50-55 580KV motor with ThunderPowerV2 5S 4400 Lipo setup on a 13x11 prop. That's my starter prop, and if it flies without crashing I'll convert it over to my nice 3-blade setup for future flights.

HAS ANYBODY FLOWN ONE YET? OR AM I GONNA BE THE FIRST?
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:21 PM
USA, PA, Mechanicsburg
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
thanks for the graphic! youre right, the ones in there now are cheesy. im glad others are building the spit now. i got mine for christmas, and till now, i couldnt find anyone building one to compare notes with. now that i have you guys, question. landing gear, what servos is everyone using? i have jr retract servos. should i be using micros, or modify the holes to fit the jrs? thanks. Todd
tlojak38 is offline Find More Posts by tlojak38
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:47 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
welcome tlojak38. Is Todd your name? That's my name too, so I wasn't sure if you were saying "Thanks Todd" or "Thanks" and signing "Todd".

Anyway, welcome.

I say use whatever servos you have. If you can get your retract servos to work, great. I used two independent servos for my gear, they aren't retract servos, just regular servos that I programmed with the right start & end points. I used some small HobbyKing metal gears that are similar to the Hitec HS85MG. They worked great. I wouldn't have used a single one of those to control both landing gear, it wouldn't be not strong enough.

I like that they gave you the option of using two small servos rather than one big one (by creating a servo tray in each wing). Smart.

Weather tomorrow looks great for February. So it's going up, and it's coming down one way or another.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:16 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,018 Posts
Good luck Todd. Looks like you are going to be the first.
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303