HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Not to get too far off topic but.... I was reading some of the posts on the recent AMA show. Here is a photo from Nitro Models Booth.

Hmmmmm sure looks like our Spitty. If they are selling it at the show????

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:25 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
...If they are selling it at the show????

Tommy D
Huh? Back in stock?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I had to buy a 3D profile because I could not find one of these jewels in stock!
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Last edited by mike early; Jan 19, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:57 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,854 Posts
be careful with warbird CG's guys....you know what will happen if its remotely tail heavy.....snap city. then it all over. nose heavy flies, tail heavy flies only once. you know how the chinese instructions and CG's can be....so i guess its really down to personal judgement, i know i would never go aft of a chinese CG...they always tend to be tail heavy to start it seems...just saying, be careful..
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:20 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Look what I found:

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._453_Squadron_RAAF
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:59 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
One day these fine planes will be in stock
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
Make me a proper Spitfire!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMO View Post
Look what I found:

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._453_Squadron_RAAF
I have received mine, a late arival from Santa

Great TMO , but saddly CMP have mixed the MkVb (our model) and the MkIX wich is in the picture. Very few MkVb were in use during the invation.

Lovely model, and looks beautiful, both the finish and the decals are of great quality, but the camo colours are wrong. The dark green is medium grey with a tint of green/brown. Ocean grey is grey brown, very similar to the dark green, D-day stripes wrong posisioned. undeside is light blue instead of Medium Sea Grey, wich is a grey colour. Top wing roundels to small. Fin flash wrong (old ) type.

When they are able to produce such a beauty, why can't they put a little more time in research to get it closer to the original?
Below you can compare the CMP Spitfire MkVb with a plastic model of a rare MkVb Spitfire with D-day stripes and correct camo colours.

...don't get me wrong, I think it is one of the best looking Spitfires around...

Cheers,
Terje
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Last edited by SAPSPIT; Jan 19, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:20 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Has anybody flown this Spitty yet? Mine is nearing completion, and I was curious how the CG issue worked out. If I don't maiden it Saturday, I will some time next week.

I would love to hear the status of those who have built and flown this baby.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:40 AM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
I went with TMO's suggestion of 4" from the leading edge measured at the root. It lines up with the stock recommendation that is measured outboard on the wing.

Nearing completion as well but I don't think the wind or cold is going to let up anytime soon here.

Good luck if you do get it up this weekend
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:03 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Does anybody else here wish that these ARF vendors would put just a little more thought into their planes? I sure do. I especially get frustrated when they put in a cockpit graphic that looks absolutely nothing like the instrument panels in the real plane.

When I get to the stage of building a plane, I often create a custom graphic for the cockpit, and I just couldn't glue the canopy on the Spit without doing it for this one as well.

I know there are others building the plane now that may feel the same way, so I'm posting my cockpit graphic that can be printed out on a color inkjet printer, cut out with scissors, and glued to the cockpit interior of the CMP Spitfire.

The image is 600dpi. Print it on a strong piece of paper so that when you use a spray glue it doesn't bleed through the paper. I used a light card stock. Set it on a high quality printing so the colors get saturated.

You'll have to crease the paper to coincide with the curves in the cockpit, this graphic goes from the instruments all the way to the back frame as a single piece. It's obvious on the image where the creases should go, so it's real easy to do.

I compiled it from a dozen or so cockpit photos I found online. It's obviously not 100% accurate, it's just what I could slam together in the 3 hours I had.

It's probably a good idea, when you glue a pilot in, to cut out the shape of the pilot bust from the printed graphic and glue the pilot directly to the plane itself, that way the weight of the pilot whipping around doesn't pull the paper up off the plane and leave the pilot bouncing around in the cockpit.

FWIW.

Todd
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:17 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Awesome! I'm really glad I haven't glued the canopy down yet. Good work and Thanks
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
Old Jan 29, 2010, 04:14 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Does anybody else here wish that these ARF vendors would put just a little more thought into their planes? I sure do. I especially get frustrated when they put in a cockpit graphic that looks absolutely nothing like the instrument panels in the real plane.

When I get to the stage of building a plane, I often create a custom graphic for the cockpit, and I just couldn't glue the canopy on the Spit without doing it for this one as well.

I know there are others building the plane now that may feel the same way, so I'm posting my cockpit graphic that can be printed out on a color inkjet printer, cut out with scissors, and glued to the cockpit interior of the CMP Spitfire.

The image is 600dpi. Print it on a strong piece of paper so that when you use a spray glue it doesn't bleed through the paper. I used a light card stock. Set it on a high quality printing so the colors get saturated.

You'll have to crease the paper to coincide with the curves in the cockpit, this graphic goes from the instruments all the way to the back frame as a single piece. It's obvious on the image where the creases should go, so it's real easy to do.

I compiled it from a dozen or so cockpit photos I found online. It's obviously not 100% accurate, it's just what I could slam together in the 3 hours I had.

It's probably a good idea, when you glue a pilot in, to cut out the shape of the pilot bust from the printed graphic and glue the pilot directly to the plane itself, that way the weight of the pilot whipping around doesn't pull the paper up off the plane and leave the pilot bouncing around in the cockpit.

FWIW.

Todd
Nice work Todd...
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:01 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etotheo View Post
Nice work Todd...
It's fantastic.
Another reason I am looking forward to owning this plane.

How are the retracts? flimsy? Macho??

Has anyone flown it?
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:25 AM
Brian
Echuca , Victoria ,Australia
Joined Dec 2007
16 Posts
What retract servo's

What a great looking bird , thanks for the cockpit graphics W.O.C .
I picked up mine today , I have made one change already to the elevator push rod , I read in a review in rcm magazine here in Australia that the elevator joining rod tends to flex so I used a CF push rod with 2 output rods at the tail end . I was also wondering what retract servo's you guys are using as the mounting holes seem to fit mini servo's ( 30 mm ) wide ?
I intend to fit a asp 61 4st as the power plant .
Cheers from OZ and keep this post going as I love this spit !
bwa3006 is offline Find More Posts by bwa3006
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:31 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,622 Posts
Todd, thank you for that cockpit pic. I'll use it in my SureFlite Spit and probably a couple of others that will get built along the way. Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring