HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:37 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Antenna Mast

Thanks dmatthewman, if you have anything else, absolutely -
If you have any detailed photos or drawings of the Spitfire MkV antenna mast I'd really appreciate it. I can't find a clear picture or reference or what that thing is, that's attatched to the mast that the antenna wire goes through.

Please click on the attatchment...and if anyone else can help I'd appreciatie it as well...dunka. The stock mast is pretty large for the scale of this plane so I'm slimming it down and adding whatever the deal is on the aft side that the antenna attaches to -maybe some sort of insulator - I can't figure it out.

Made a rear view mirror (removable) and going to re-do the cannon today. Then a pitot and gunsight. Then some crafty decals and maybe fly it before I come up with something else....scale tailwheel...? I need medication.

Cheers Mates
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Jan 08, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:15 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,743 Posts
i lfew my 4 blade 55-50-580 on 4s yesterday on low timing, soft start. worked out great! you still cant stab the throttle, the motor will stall, but it worked well in flight...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:17 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,743 Posts
heres a few shots jon barnes got yesterday.....
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:46 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
heres a few shots jon barnes got yesterday.....
great shots - really sharp and clear. Do know what camera he used?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Jan 08, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Superb Shots Corsair Nut, from the thumbnails i thought it was the real deal!

I have a couple of books on the Spitfire Capt I will have a look tomorrow and post anything I may find re the antenna.

Like the Capt says DMM thanks for the drawings, great stuff.

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:09 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Superb Shots Corsair Nut, from the thumbnails i thought it was the real deal!

I have a couple of books on the Spitfire Capt I will have a look tomorrow and post anything I may find re the antenna.

Like the Capt says DMM thanks for the drawings, great stuff.

John
Thanks John -
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:49 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Hi Capt

I have looked through one of my books, a tome of 630 pages "Spitfire the History" and in the MKV section I didnt see an antenna like the one with the small triangle coming off the top rear.

The photos of Spitfires, where you can see it aren't to clear due to the size of the antenna and are all pretty much side on so no other elevations of it.

The antenna in all the drawings appears to only ever be a representation and never at all detailed.

I will post a couple of the pics where it is viewable but too be honest I dont believe much help, but hey who can resist a piccy of the beautiful bird neways?

I will have a look through another book which is the Haynes Spitfire Manual.

John
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:37 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Hi Capt

I have looked through one of my books, a tome of 630 pages "Spitfire the History" and in the MKV section I didnt see an antenna like the one with the small triangle coming off the top rear.

The photos of Spitfires, where you can see it aren't to clear due to the size of the antenna and are all pretty much side on so no other elevations of it.

The antenna in all the drawings appears to only ever be a representation and never at all detailed.

I will post a couple of the pics where it is viewable but too be honest I dont believe much help, but hey who can resist a piccy of the beautiful bird neways?

I will have a look through another book which is the Haynes Spitfire Manual.

John
That's been the same problem I've had for some time...thanks for the help though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Hi Capt although models some of these have that triangle piece on the mast..... http://hyperscale.com/index_air_supermarine_z.htm

John
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Hi Capt although models some of these have that triangle piece on the mast..... http://hyperscale.com/index_air_supermarine_z.htm

John
Thanks John - I 'll check them out I appreciate it my friend
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
No probs at all Capt, anything that helps you advance your piece of art, is no trouble to me....Infact I love seeking out anything Spit related!

John
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Shhhhh dont tell the missus but I've even been trying to seek one out in the full scale world that may be near to me with that antenna and talking the RAF base Commander/museum curator to let me get on a ladder so I can get it photographed from all angles!

Any excuse to get near one....I kid ye not! Hellllllllllp!!!

John
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
What the blazes is this one all about?

Perhaps one for you HKING......

Ahhhhhh the answer would be here.....found this after originally posting pic. For anyone who's interested......

http://www.unrealaircraft.com/hybrid/spitfire.php

John
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Feb 2010
36 Posts
Pictures (including antenna)

Capt

Here are the pictures I have. This should answer your question it looks like a device that the radio antenna wire routes through. I noticed when I clicked on the drawings I uploaded that they are pretty small about 1/3 the original so i will put all this pics on a share where you can get the full size images.

Having spent the weekend looking at this bird and trying to figure out where the hidden lead is in the tail (boy its heavy) I really think I want to copy Capts split flap modification as I fly a fairly small runway so the shorter the rollout the better for me (plus they look so cool).

My concern over doing the modification is the repainting after, I am not looking to repaint the whole wing I would just like to colour match and touch up after does anyone have an idea over what paint was used on this bird.

Also I was wondering why so much effort has been put into the semi scale appearance of this model and then they would make the ailerons longer than scale. Was it to improve handling around the notorious tip stall nature of the elliptical wing, I dont want to shoot myself in the foot by shortening the aileron. So the big question is when your maiden Capt......
dmatthewman is offline Find More Posts by dmatthewman
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:40 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Capt-- I found some photos for you. I'll either scan them or take macro pics of them and post them later. I think that the antenna mast had the triangular standoff only for a short time-- from spring to early fall 1940. There's a great air to air shot of J Quill testing the 600th Spitty off the line and it has the piece you want to see. Look for it later.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303