SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:43 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Looks like great place to fly...thanks for the video.
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:49 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
I'm trying to tie up a few details to make my Spit ready to maiden. Most pressing is the battery tray or some sort of basket. Not all the cosmetics are completed yet, but I'll probably hold off on that till after the maiden depending on wind and wx.
The delemma over a separate retract battery continues to plague the completion. The lack of experience and typically overly anal attitude is prolonging the process too.

How are most of you guys dealing with the separate Rx bat or separate retract bat???

Happy New Year all
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:21 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Turned some cannons for the Spitfire using my power drill. Not great but not bad. I think they'll look okay - planning to use magnets for simple removal to transport.

...I need help with what to do about a separate retract battery or not.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:25 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I'm trying to tie up a few details to make my Spit ready to maiden. Most pressing is the battery tray or some sort of basket. Not all the cosmetics are completed yet, but I'll probably hold off on that till after the maiden depending on wind and wx.
The delemma over a separate retract battery continues to plague the completion. The lack of experience and typically overly anal attitude is prolonging the process too.

How are most of you guys dealing with the separate Rx bat or separate retract bat???

Happy New Year all

I'm just running one Rx battery (A123 2s 1100mah) for my receiver only. That and the main 6s for my motor.

With a good retract servo like a HS75BB.. and i've enjoyed many reliable flights (and retract cycles..)

I personally think a separate retract battery would be overkill..

I'm looking forward to seeing your battery setup... I really had to squeeze mine up front. A lot of wood had to go to make it.. (this is a 6s 4000mah.. i'm sure a 5s would be much easier to fit up front)... along with my Rx battery and ESC.

I didn't want to add any nose weight.. i'm sure I would have saved myself a lot of frustration had I just added lead..
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:28 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
I'm just running one Rx battery (A123 2s 1100mah) for my receiver only. That and the main 6s for my motor.

With a good retract servo like a HS75BB.. and i've enjoyed many reliable flights (and retract cycles..)

I personally think a separate retract battery would be overkill..

I'm looking forward to seeing your battery setup... I really had to squeeze mine up front. A lot of wood had to go to make it.. (this is a 6s 4000mah.. i'm sure a 5s would be much easier to fit up front)... along with my Rx battery and ESC.

I didn't want to add any nose weight.. i'm sure I would have saved myself a lot of frustration had I just added lead..
I'm using a reg std proportional rate servo for the retracts and a servo regulator. I still need to fuss with it a bit yet but I think it'll be okay. I'm just concerned about it stalling out and draeing my main bat down. Truth be told, I've been putting off trying to figure out a means of securing the main battery but I need to get to it.

I have an unused HS75BB but rather like the option of more scale operating gear. A separate retract bat makes a lot of sense to me. Do retract servos cause a drain if they stall out or do they just quit operating without pulling the main bat down?

I'll take some photos of my bat set up when I get it figured out. Thanks for all your input and help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:14 AM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Well..i'll be honest.. the HS75BB has worked out great for me.. BUT it's supposed to shut off when stalled.. however in my experience it just ends up stripping gears.

And you're right.. you won't be able to slow it down. Those electric retracts are a pretty good option.. the Eflite ones are great. Hobbypartz has a beefy version as well.. for $14 a piece (free shipping). I've had them on my 4lb 109 and they've held up really well.. however... i can't say how they would hold up to this size plane.

But if you were to pair them with those shock absorbing struts posted a few pages back I think you'd have a winner.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-91-ere...-onepiece.html
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:37 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Yeah, for sure, I'm going to check those out and make up an order for them and some other stuff as well.
I made some cannons for the CMP Spit but they came out too small so I fit them to the Haikong Spit and make some bigger ones -they're easy and fun to do. The smaller Spit hasn't flown either - waiting on another (Waypoint 150MG) servo since I abused the first one so badly while trial fitting and testing, it finally just gave up.
I'm off to the sack - gear up...going to fly my Corsair and Gee Bee Y tomorrow since forecast winds are looking good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:23 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
22 Posts
It is a great Zero you have, and thanks for the video its great ,I just wonder watt is your lb on the zero HKing PwnsMe.
Bølle is offline Find More Posts by Bølle
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:05 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Thank you very much.. i thought a good Corsair video deserved a good Zero vid..

WOT I pull about 1400 watts on a fresh 6s 30c Battery. My plane weighs about 6.8 (so 7lbs) so it's roughly 200 watts per pound..
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:09 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
Yeah, for sure, I'm going to check those out and make up an order for them and some other stuff as well.
I made some cannons for the CMP Spit but they came out too small so I fit them to the Haikong Spit and make some bigger ones -they're easy and fun to do. The smaller Spit hasn't flown either - waiting on another (Waypoint 150MG) servo since I abused the first one so badly while trial fitting and testing, it finally just gave up.
I'm off to the sack - gear up...going to fly my Corsair and Gee Bee Y tomorrow since forecast winds are looking good.
Would love to see some pics of those cannons! Removable? There was a 1/5th Spit build a while ago where someone used the cannons as twist on set screws that held the removable wings in place.. ingenious... has the HK Spit already been maidened? Sorry I couldn't remember..
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:18 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
20mm Hispano

Quote:
Would love to see some pics of those cannons! Removable? There was a 1/5th Spit build a while ago where someone used the cannons as twist on set screws that held the removable wings in place.. ingenious... has the HK Spit already been maidened? Sorry I couldn't remember..
THe Hk Spit was maidened but it wasn't consentual, if you get my drift. I was doing some taxi tests and a sudden gust caught it and at that point I was committed and cobbed the throttle to her. She litteraly flew on the ragged edge for two circuits - only because it was so extremely tail heavy and difficult to control and I had to go around the first time. I got it down in one piece somehow but one might say it was life changing experience.

Standby and I''l post some photos of the cannons - I think I misinterpreted the drawings I found and failed to put the fairings around he barrels though

The plan is to use magnets to secure them - with preference to useing cf tube inserts to slide the cannon into.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Jan 02, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:55 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Have you used a three blade prop and spinner....?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:33 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Hey Capt, thats some really nice turning you have done. You say you used your drill to turn the cannons, ingenious! Any chance of a piccy or explanation of the set up....What type of blade did you use and how did you hold it still, steady hands or have you rigged a way of mounting and moving the blade like a proper lathe?

Many thanks, John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:45 AM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Agreed.. the cannons look great! But.. at this point it seems to be a given with your builds..

I've never used a 3 bladed prop/spinner with this plane. Most of my 109s do... and other than the more scale look the lack of performance vs a 2 blader (on e-power of course) and that additional left torque was the only difference.

I have flown another larger Spitfire that had a more scale gear placement (closer to the fuse) and I remember that coupled with a large 3 bladed prop, it had a pronounced left torque effect.

But since this CMP has a wider stance (and you're going for a more scale performing setup) I think a 3 blade setup with a scale spinner would really take your spit over the top. With all the great scale details you added, i was wondering how a scale spinner and 3 bladed prop would look.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:37 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Hey Capt, thats some really nice turning you have done. You say you used your drill to turn the cannons, ingenious! Any chance of a piccy or explanation of the set up....What type of blade did you use and how did you hold it still, steady hands or have you rigged a way of mounting and moving the blade like a proper lathe?

Many thanks, John
John,
The cannons were made from old artist's paint brushes cut off a little longer than the final desired length of the cannons. The thicker end was chucked up in the drill and spun up a little while holding it down on my bench with one hand. Using a pencil I marked where each cut and shape location was to be made.
The drill was spun up full speed and I used a small wood cutting tool I had lying around and started cutting the depth a little bit but found a small 1/2" file actually was easiest to control the contour so that was my primary tool. Then some very fine sandpaper to finish.
It's very fast and easy using just a hand drill but a drill press might be a better but I don't have one.
I'm going to make another little bigger set for the CMP Spit with smooth fairings as I've noticed in most of the original photos.
Hope this helps....if you'd need some photos let me know and I'll try to get some later.
Best
RCG Plus Member