HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:38 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
So you're saying just stick any new SK motor you have on the bench and run it for five or ten minutes just to see if the magnets toss? It takes that much time to run some epoxy in there to make sure it doesn't.

But regardless, back to my original question. If you decided you wanted to epoxy one of these things for any reason, rather than peeling all the magnets off, using alcohol to remove excess whatever, then using hysol to stick them back on, would it be okay to just use 5 minute epoxy to lightly coat the entire magnet bell? The reason I ask is that after hearing about so many people losing magnets, I figured I'd just glue them in to start with and already did the 5 minute epoxy on my first 63-64, which is already mounted in the plane and ready to go.

I don't want to pull that motor off unless somebody tells me I shouldn't have used epoxy in the manner that I did.

Make sense?

Yes, i get what you're saying. Like CorsairNut I didn't have problems with many of my motors, especially my older Turnigy motors, but there have been several issues with these Turinigys lately. If fact their reviews reflect this on the HK site, especially the 63-64.

Of the three 63-64s I have, two have had magnet issues. The two were purchased within the past 7 months, the one good one I purchased before that.

As for the magnet replacement issue, the reason I did a complete rehab (removal and re-gluing each magnet) was because that 63-64 SK motor was on it's 10th or 11th flight when I noticed it sounded really bad. I was lucky I was able to land it right away to find it completely seized while I started to taxi back.

When I checked the motor almost half of my magnets were sliding back or were starting to, so I just decided to unseat and re-glue the entire thing. Just because it was already at the point that it needed it. Plus, this was in my CMP Me 109 (It's one of my favorite planes so I didn't want to take chances with it.. )

Now..to your main question.. this is just ME... and it's overkill but like you were suggesting.. I open up every NEW turnigy motor I get (only my larger ones though) and just re-seal the magnets with 30 min epoxy (instead of 5 min bc I hear it's a stronger bond) , i just use my fingers and give it a good thin coat especially between the magnets to give it a good seal, attach to a drill and spin to balance it.

Some people just apply CA to new motors to give it a good seal, spin the can with a drill, reattach and fly.

After it dries I run the motor a few times (with a prop) to make sure everything is good.

It's just a precaution, only takes a few mins and I just do this on my larger motors (for planes I have .60 sized plus).

A lot of people just do 4-5 min static tests before flying and if everything is good they fly. But I have noticed some of these magnets start flying off after a few flights.

Sorry for the wordy response.. but basically no.. i don't re-glue each magnet when it's new, but a quick reseal before use couldn't hurt.
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Last edited by HKing_PwnsMe; Dec 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
Hope all you Spitfire sticks enjoy a Merry Christmas or whatever your Holiday Season involves....I've really enjoyed sharing and being involved with this thread and look forward to lots more during the coming year.

Captain Easy Sends
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
flew the 580kk 50 sk motor today. 6 flights, 1600w, barely warm. no mag issues sofar...
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:36 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Great to hear that she flies well and your motor is working as expected. I ordered the 54gm retracts the other day. I'll try them in our Spitty and report back.

Merry Christmas to all. Off to church now. The kids are in the Christmas Pagent. Always cute.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:36 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
I love those 54g retracts. I ordered 2 pair to try out and they've been great so far.

One is on my 55" WS FMS BF 109 (re-painted of course and gear moved to the scale location).. I wasn't a huge fan of these because it's foam.. but for $77 I couldn't resist. Had to change that horrid paint scheme though.

I've had a couple rough landings with this 4lb bird and the retracts have held up great. This was on a VERY rough and sandy field.

and here I am .. taking down one of those pesky P51s... lol..

Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:39 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
flew the 580kk 50 sk motor today. 6 flights, 1600w, barely warm. no mag issues sofar...
I'm not a huge P51 fan.. but I really dig this 4 blade setup... nice work.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:52 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
thanks not bad for a once cmp cheapie eh? looots of mods...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:53 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
Great photos you guys...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
thanks not bad for a once cmp cheapie eh? looots of mods...
lol..

i'll tell you what.. there are PLENTY of people that buy CMP planes because they're cheap... then COMPLAIN that everything isn't 100% scale or things don't align...etc.. etc.. then.. there are others.. who UNDERSTAND we're getting what we pay for.. put in LOTS of work and end up with really nice planes...

I think you and many others here will agree that while these kits aren't the highest of quality.. if you put in some time.. hard work... and most of all.. READ what others are doing on the web than you'll end up with some VERY nice planes.

Again.. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:03 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
Great photos you guys...
Thanks again for the amazing work you've put into this plane buddy.. I learned a LOT from the scale details you added.. top notch stuff. CMP should use your mods in their ad campaign!

Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:56 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Thanks again for the amazing work you've put into this plane buddy.. I learned a LOT from the scale details you added.. top notch stuff. CMP should use your mods in their ad campaign!

Hey thanks again my friend. I really love doing stuff like this at least as much as flying them...
I still need to figure out how to get the retracts to operate better. I've gone back into them again and futzed with them according ref a very helpful thread here on RCG but still not satisfied quite yet...I need to call one of Santa's little helpers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1015996&page=2

Question:
If you're using the SK 5055-580 with a Turnigy 80aA ESC what have you been using for timing?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Dec 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:33 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
im running full timing....if you dont, your motor will stutter as you advance the throttle, and make all kinds of crazy noises as it losses sink with the motor. id like to reduce timing to bring the amps down, but in the past its proven that they dont run well for me. i might try med timing, and see if i can get away with it.i know that turnigy recomends you not use low timing, because it can burn up the esc....how...im not exactly sure.

Quote:
Hey thanks again my friend. I really love doing stuff like this at least as much as flying them...
I still need to figure out how to get the retracts to operate better. I've gone back into them again and futzed with them according ref a very helpful thread here on RCG but still not satisfied quite yet...I need to call one of Santa's little helpers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1015996&page=2

Question:
If you're using the SK 5055-580 with a Turnigy 80aA ESC what have you been using for timing?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 03:33 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
Quote:
im running full timing....if you dont, your motor will stutter as you advance the throttle, and make all kinds of crazy noises as it losses sink with the motor. id like to reduce timing to bring the amps down, but in the past its proven that they dont run well for me. i might try med timing, and see if i can get away with it.i know that turnigy recomends you not use low timing, because it can burn up the esc....how...im not exactly sure.
My ESC is set at whatever the default is and seems to advance and run wide open okay...would that be medium then? I read the "instructions" but failed to find what the the defaut is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:25 AM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
My ESC is set at whatever the default is and seems to advance and run wide open okay...would that be medium then? I read the "instructions" but failed to find what the the defaut is.
I think the default is set at low timing. I believe CorsairNut has his set at high timing which has been where most have had optimum results from these Turnigy motors (42-60 sk, 50-55 sk).

If your setup is running fine at medium (with a prop of course) and it doesn't screech when you go from off to WOT instantly then you should be okay. I always start from medium then high if I need to, but I keep an eye on my wattmeter to ensure I'm within limits and nothing weird is going on. From experience the esc seems to get the most power out of these SK motors at high timing (but of course if medium works I would prefer to stay there to keep amp draw down).

Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:14 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
yeah, i need to try med timing. amps onmine are pretty crazy, and it flies great at 1/2 power, so it wouldnt hurt to lose some watts